2021 Jets Season: Misc. Talk

Bianconero

What I find interesting is the poor play of the 49’s. We are a somewhat inferior mirror image of them.  They only have one more win running the same O and D. The D has few int’s just like us (although they have two so far tonight). In fact they are just above us in int’s.

Could it be the O and D system has been figured out by opposing teams?

3 hours ago, xrade said:

What I find interesting is the poor play of the 49’s. We are a somewhat inferior mirror image of them.  They only have one more win running the same O and D. The D has few int’s just like us (although they have two so far tonight). In fact they are just above us in int’s.

They absolutely imposed their will on a defense with maybe the best DT of all time, Von Miller and Jalen Ramsey. That running game was impressive. They have a lot more talent up front and all over than we do. We really need pass rushers and LBs badly. Not really sold on the scheme by any means but  this seems to be the way we’re going to be going. Maybe things get a lot better with real pass rushers 

4 hours ago, xrade said:

Rams, Browns, Packers, Bengals, Colts, Falcons, Titans, Seahawks, Raiders, Cowboys, Bills, WFT, Vikings all run some form of the offense or defense we are running. Teams have definitely figured things out, the best coaches are adding wrinkles to create advantages each week. Our coaches suck at this moment. 

Edited by KingOfNewYork

After six years of rebuilding with high first round draft picks, and being active in the FA market how can our defensive be worst than it was six years ago?

As far as the offensive goes, till we fix the O line nothing is going to change, for the first time in years we have playmakers at WR & RB, but the O line still needs a Guard, Center, and maybe a OT. The QB position is still a big question mark.

The bottom line is after six years we are still pathetic

Part of the problem is kind of like what happened with Gase.  Sometimes it seems like we are trying to line up and win matchups.  The past 3-4 years we have not been talented enough to do that at all.  You can't line up Sherwood and Nas at LB and expect them to plug the run by themselves.  Our OL isn't good enough to run straight at people.  Our rookie CBs are not good enough to go 1 on 1 with Diggs (although I do love them).  Our protection over the years hasn't been good enough to drop back and sling it.  Our pass rush isn't good enough to send 4 guys and win.  

From what I see, which is from my couch so I could be missing loads of stuff, is boring schemes that don't adjust.  We saw some adjustments earlier in the year and our defense was solid earlier in the year and then IDK what happened.  But this staff needs to put players in position to succeed.  Are we too young where the staff is doing their best but some guys just aren't ready?  We have the highest rookie snap count by far.  I can see a finished product in a year or two so I'm not freaking out but sports fans and NY fans are very fickle.  They (Saleh and Douglas) may not get the chance to see their vision come true.

Offseason moves: pass rusher, actual LB, rangy FS, TE, Center to stabilize the line and on paper I would expect a huge improvement.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, xrade said:

Not all his sacks are meaningless. The sack in the Bengals game was huge. I think you can also question a lot of sacks by others as meaningless if you want to go that route.

Getting rid of Q just creates another hole. Is he playing like a top 3 pick?  Nope. Is he horrible to the point of dumping him? Nope again. Would I pay him big $? Nope thrice. If he wants to come back with a contract commensurate with his play, do it. Otherwise who are we replacing him with?  Another high draft pick? A high prices FA whose play will not justify the $?

I’ll say it again, we can’t keep dumping talent and expect this **** show to get better.

It’s contingent on how much he wants. He will likely want a payday since it’s his first contract, if he will sign for what his production is then I’d be willing to keep him. If a team is willing to overpay for him he can walk.

Q isn’t moving the needle for this team either way so it really doesn’t matter. We will likely be re tooling the defense entirely in 2023 when Saleh is axed

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

Moore with 4 TDs the last 4 games and Carter with good games the last few games as well. I'd like to see them keep that pace with Wilson at QB

Could you imagine Carter with a good run blocking O line he hit the line fast and hard, and he has the moves also. We must get him real help in the 2022 draft.

7 hours ago, doumeyer said:

After six years of rebuilding with high first round draft picks, and being active in the FA market how can our defensive be worst than it was six years ago?

As far as the offensive goes, till we fix the O line nothing is going to change, for the first time in years we have playmakers at WR & RB, but the O line still needs a Guard, Center, and maybe a OT. The QB position is still a big question mark.

The bottom line is after six years we are still pathetic

The problem is that it's not 6 year. We keep blowing up the team and hiring new guys that want to implement different schemes and bring in their own guys. Everytime we do that we completely waste any and all resources that we had committed to the previous rebuild. Until we identify a rebuild plan and actually commit to it we are always going to be behind the 8 ball.

According to Pro Football Network’s Tony Pauline, sources inside the organization said the Jets aren’t happy with Becton thus far. Several people working with the team believe the 22-year-old taps out of plays and isn’t showing the work ethic required to be a quality NFL player.

Specifically, one of the biggest issues is his weight. Showing up to training camp heavier than he even was at the NFL Scouting Combine, the inability to maintain playing shape is a concern. Another problem area for New York is reportedly Becton’s maturity

at least Douglas tried.. but what a terrible draft 2020 was

Defensively the Jets are predictable and that falls on the DC/HC. Teams know what they are going to do and they adjust. The Bill's prior to the game with the Jets were being criticized for being one dimensional and predictable and in fact were mediocre for the most part.

The Jags having just beat them, did a light come on and the Bill's find out how to win suddenly? No, they took a page out of the playbook of the last 3 teams the Jets played and handed their butts to them.

The Bill's play the Colts this weekend and while the Colts are not what one might call top calibre, they are decent as a team and have won 2 games in a row. 

I would be interested to see how much improved the O is against the Colts D and the final results.

The Colts defense went from 16th to13th so they are a middle of the pack D.

The Jets coaching has to become unpredictable as it pertains to everything their doing from O to D.

6 minutes ago, GangGreen420 said:

According to Pro Football Network’s Tony Pauline, sources inside the organization said the Jets aren’t happy with Becton thus far. Several people working with the team believe the 22-year-old taps out of plays and isn’t showing the work ethic required to be a quality NFL player.

Specifically, one of the biggest issues is his weight. Showing up to training camp heavier than he even was at the NFL Scouting Combine, the inability to maintain playing shape is a concern. Another problem area for New York is reportedly Becton’s maturity

at least Douglas tried.. but what a terrible draft 2020 was

If we could've only drafted the better, safer Wirfs..... Oh wait