2021 Jets Season: Misc. Talk

Bianconero

4 hours ago, doumeyer said:

Building thru the draft is the only way to go.  You can't build a team with FA pickups. FA  players should be used to fill one or two holes on a roster, like Belichick, does in New England. I think you are right about Douglas, he does want to build thru the draft. His problem is he is still cleaning up Macc, mess.

You know I was on this train too to build thru the draft. Now I'm thinking this is just stupid to do this. We have been saying this for the last 10-12 years and we just keep getting worse. Maybe the Jets should be trading these high picks for good young players that fit the system. Try and grab as many good FA as possible and use the cap to over spend on these guys. Why not try this? This build thru the draft is a bunch of BS to me now. It is pretty simple that this does not work for the Jets. Ya might work for other teams but not the Jets. I think we have to do things the Jet way and that is pretty much what we think is right should be the other way. 

17 minutes ago, xrade said:

Agreed.  Woody and Chrissy are getting better as owners.  They learned that you can't have a coach and GM both reporting to them.  They don't really stick their noses in but will do what is needed, I guess.  The biggest issue ATM is coaching followed by talent.  I don't think Saleh and co. are putting the players in the best position to succeed which goes against what Saleh said at his introductory presser.  Fine.  Get the players you need to run your system.  Just do it quick and stop blowing smoke up our collective *****.

Reporting structure only changed when Rex was reporting to Idzik and Idzik was trying to sabotage Rex. 

The issue is just getting the right guy. I think Douglas is a good GM, his drafts have been solid enough so far with a huge part of that success relying on Zach, Becton and maybe one or two more guys finding themselves. 

Coaching wise tho, we need a thinker not a motivator(let the assistants be that). Belichick is great because of his mind and after McGovern said Saleh isn’t a thinker but more of a whatever the hell he is I knew we were doomed. 

19 minutes ago, jetfuel34 said:

You know I was on this train too to build thru the draft. Now I'm thinking this is just stupid to do this. We have been saying this for the last 10-12 years and we just keep getting worse. Maybe the Jets should be trading these high picks for good young players that fit the system. Try and grab as many good FA as possible and use the cap to over spend on these guys. Why not try this? This build thru the draft is a bunch of BS to me now. It is pretty simple that this does not work for the Jets. Ya might work for other teams but not the Jets. I think we have to do things the Jet way and that is pretty much what we think is right should be the other way. 

Yea I know what you are saying, right now we try to build thru the draft, then we try to build thru FA, and nothing has worked. We keep trying to change coaches, we have had four head coaches in the last ten years, and that has not worked. Just a few post ago one of the guys on this board was talking how good the Trust fund kids, If I own a business that was in big trouble like the Jets I sure would have my nose in every aspect of the company.

40 minutes ago, jetfuel34 said:

Why not try this

That is what we have been doing.  How has that worked?  We got two decent seasons under Rex (which was really due to Mangini's building through the draft strategy for a year or two), none under Todd and I need not mention Gase.  We have never consistently built through the draft.  Ever.  Tannenbaum was famous for trading away picks for players.

1 minute ago, Bobby816 said:

Quietly anchoring one the worst run Ds as well. 

I am puzzled by our poor run D.  With almost the same players we really took a nose dive this year.  I think it has more to do with the attacking style Saleh wants from his front 4 with the LB's making the stops in the hole.  Fats was a beast against the run, what has he been doing?

1 minute ago, xrade said:

I am puzzled by our poor run D.  With almost the same players we really took a nose dive this year.  I think it has more to do with the attacking style Saleh wants from his front 4 with the LB's making the stops in the hole.  Fats was a beast against the run, what has he been doing?

I was more or less saying that Q shouldn't be praised. He forever will always be a bad pick IMO. We didn't need him and chose him just from a BPA perspective. And he hasn't lived up to us ignoring need to draft him.

My opinion on our rush D for me has 2 main things.

1. COACHING!!! We have a talented DLine. The staff isn't doing their job, plain and simple. This is a top 1/2 of the league rush D talent wise. Yet we're like 3rd to last in the league.

2. We get blown out so often in the 1st half that teams just start running against us. Where the game plan isn't as balanced in the 2nd half. So teams are running more on us to milk clock bc they have a comfortable lead. 

22 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I was more or less saying that Q shouldn't be praised. He forever will always be a bad pick IMO. We didn't need him and chose him just from a BPA perspective. And he hasn't lived up to us ignoring need to draft him.

I realize that and was not arguing against it.  I was just mentioning the front 4 as a unit has sucked in all phases.  I don't think he is a bad pick, he is certainly not living up to his draft status nor was a needed pick at the time.  Those things I agree with you on.  But I still think he is a decent player that should be resigned depending upon his contract demands.

31 minutes ago, xrade said:

Fatukasi is consistently getting into the backfield but the wide alignments create gaps that our linebackers aren’t consistently hitting and backs are making plays. Add to that Q has been nonexistent against the run.

Just now, xrade said:

I realize that and was not arguing against it.  I was just mentioning the front 4 as a unit has sucked in all phases.  I don't think he is a bad pick, he is certainly not living up to his draft status nor was a needed pick at the time.  Those things I agree with you on.  But I still think he is a decent player that should be resigned depending upon his contract demands.

I understand what you're saying and that you're not disagreeing with me...

But... a decent or even just a good player should never be drafted 3rd overall. They should be perennial game changers IMO. ESPECIALLY when he wasn't a need at all. And the guy that we traded who we drafted top 5 a few years previous... is actually better than him.