2021 Jets Season: Misc. Talk

Bianconero

3 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

I still think it’s idiotic to not start White or Wilson this week. But I will say when Wilson comes back (hopefully next week). I will be giving him the benefit of the doubt that after watching film of white doing more check downs and such and seeing it work more so than what he was doing. That he will play more like that. I’ll stay optimistic on that unless he proves me wrong and just goes back to his gunslinger mentality that turns the ball over.

Speaking of… where’s all the Wilson lovers that hyped how he doesn’t turn the ball over now? This is what you praised about him coming out of BYU?

I am one of "them".  Many QB's coming out of college don't turn the ball over which is one of the reasons they are a high draft pick.  This has little bearing on how they will perform in the NFL and especially on a talent devoid team like the Jets.  I will again point you to Peyton's first year.  Now don't get me wrong, I am not comparing Zach to Peyton, I am comparing a struggling hyped rookie on a poor team to another struggling hyped rookie on a poor team.  Next year will be the time to start measuring Zach.

Here it is 24 hours later, and I  think more than ever why is Saleh, playing Flacco, what is the point, Flacco, is not part of our future. Playing Mike White, would be great experience to be a backup when Wilson comes back. Saleh has say so many real dumb thing in some of his press conferences. To me at this point Saleh is not head coach material. He is starting to make Gase, look good and that is scary. Saleh excuse for playing Flacco is just as nuts, who does he think we are playing the 86 or the 85 Bears we are playing the 29 rank defensive in the NFL, we are playing the Miami Dolphins.

Edited by doumeyer
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, doumeyer said:

Here it is 24 hours later, and I  think more than ever why is Saleh, playing Flacco, what is the point, Flacco, is not part of our future. Playing Mike White, would be great experience to be a backup when Wilson comes back. Saleh has say so many real dumb thing in some of his press conferences. To me at this point Saleh is not head coach material. He is starting to make Gase, look good and that is scary. Saleh excuse for playing Flacco is just as nuts, who does he think we are playing the 86 or the 85 Bears we are playing the 29 rank defensive in the NFL, we are playing the Miami Dolphins.

You can't win if you don't have the horses. Clearly the Jets don't have enough talent on this team to compete. If there was one major flaw that J.D. has and perhaps still has is that he skimped when he should have splurged in FA. N.E. splurged and drafted well enough to buy into a system and they are reaping the benefits this year, will it be sustainable? Who knows, but they have vastly improved to the point that they are a legitimate threat to go to the S.B. among AFC teams. 

The Jets added this year 5-6 players who came in and are starting caliber players, Carter, Carter 2, AVT, Moore, and Wilson. There are players who are on the team that would be hard pressed to make practice squads on other teams. 

So you hire a new head coach and give him nothing to work with but rookies, a terrible OL, and obviously a porous defense and a rookie QB and say to him "work some miracles". 

That is not a reality, then a former coach pontificating on how he is so much different than Saleh, who had a heck of a team he inherited comparing himself with Saleh.

By the way Ryan, with the wrong G.M. was in the toilet the very next year, and the spiral has just continued. J.D. is trying to bring continuity to the Jets. 

His first year, he didn't draft a soul, his first year players unfortunately have all had medical issues, but this year he hit it out of the ballpark with the draft choices. 

So being so hard on Saleh isn't the answer, day what you will about the OC, DC, etc. But clearly this is a roster made up of players most of whom will be an after thought in 2 more years.

1 hour ago, Big T said:

You can't win if you don't have the horses. Clearly the Jets don't have enough talent on this team to compete. If there was one major flaw that J.D. has and perhaps still has is that he skimped when he should have splurged in FA. N.E. splurged and drafted well enough to buy into a system and they are reaping the benefits this year, will it be sustainable? Who knows, but they have vastly improved to the point that they are a legitimate threat to go to the S.B. among AFC teams. 

The Jets added this year 5-6 players who came in and are starting caliber players, Carter, Carter 2, AVT, Moore, and Wilson. There are players who are on the team that would be hard pressed to make practice squads on other teams. 

So you hire a new head coach and give him nothing to work with but rookies, a terrible OL, and obviously a porous defense and a rookie QB and say to him "work some miracles". 

That is not a reality, then a former coach pontificating on how he is so much different than Saleh, who had a heck of a team he inherited comparing himself with Saleh.

By the way Ryan, with the wrong G.M. was in the toilet the very next year, and the spiral has just continued. J.D. is trying to bring continuity to the Jets. 

His first year, he didn't draft a soul, his first year players unfortunately have all had medical issues, but this year he hit it out of the ballpark with the draft choices. 

So being so hard on Saleh isn't the answer, day what you will about the OC, DC, etc. But clearly this is a roster made up of players most of whom will be an after thought in 2 more years.

My whole point was why is he playing Flacco, we all know the lack of talent on our roster. We are not a playoff contender, so he should play White.

The point is this team doesn’t need a win to stay in the playoff race or something. This season is about developing players. And a 36yr old QB shouldn’t be part of any playing time for this team. As a mentor? Sure. But not actually playing unless there’s an injury emergency. And White isn’t injured… so there should never be a reason to start Flacco over White this season.

ABSOLUTELY, WHAT DOES IT PROVE BY PLAYING FLACCO.

To me this just a waste of great playing time for our young guys. I guess the part that is really killing me I have to watch Flacco, who has no future with the Jets, and this is just a waste of time.

4 hours ago, Big T said:

If there was one major flaw that J.D. has and perhaps still has is that he skimped when he should have splurged in FA

I guess that depends on your definition of splurging. We only have $3.5M in cap space this year. He spent big on Lawson and Davis. He added Rankins, J. Davis, Curry, Joyner, all of whom were supposed to be starters on D (except of course Corey D.).  He added Moses, LDT, and Shaq L. when starters went down at the 11th hour.

Splurging in FA was not the issue. Injuries are. We can complain about not getting a viable CB or vet QB but not sure beyond that.

NE didn’t splurge more than us they just have much better coaching and put their players in a position to succeed. Saleh does not. We also knew we would be talking our lumps on D this year because of the lack of attention to drafting D for two years. Austin was our highest D draft pick. It had to be done that way because of the neglect by previous regimes towards the O. We all assume JD will attack the D in the draft next year while filling in the gaps on O via FA and the draft.

In the end it all comes down to Zach.

22 minutes ago, xrade said:

I guess that depends on your definition of splurging. We only have $3.5M in cap space this year. He spent big on Lawson and Davis. He added Rankins, J. Davis, Curry, Joyner, all of whom were supposed to be starters on D (except of course Corey D.).  He added Moses, LDT, and Shaq L. when starters went down at the 11th hour.

Splurging in FA was not the issue. Injuries are. We can complain about not getting a viable CB or vet QB but not sure beyond that.

NE didn’t splurge more than us they just have much better coaching and put their players in a position to succeed. Saleh does not. We also knew we would be talking our lumps on D this year because of the lack of attention to drafting D for two years. Austin was our highest D draft pick. It had to be done that way because of the neglect by previous regimes towards the O. We all assume JD will attack the D in the draft next year while filling in the gaps on O via FA and the draft.

In the end it all comes down to Zach.

NE spent more money than you think Judon cost them more than any of our FA. Jonu Smith, Hunter Henry, Jalen Mills and Bourne all cost a pretty penny too. Judon covered Davis and part of Lawson contract. You are right that is all comes down to Zach Wilson and in my opinion we are screwed if we have to depend on a guy that has shown ZERO on the field. Yes Saleh sucks and should be fired at the end of the season. The 5 major things why he should be fired.

1. You went into the season with a young kid playing QB that NEVER saw a D in his life. The coach thinks it is fine to have no vet back him up.

2. You are suppose to be a top D guy and in 4 games you gave up 175 points to teams that have average O. There are some teams that don't give up that many points in a season. That is the most points given up in a 4 game set in NFL history. These guys lay off the gas and you still give up TD's.

3. Why the bleeeep are you starting Flacco. This just shows you have no idea how to run a team. Flacco has nothing to do with the Jets future it should be Mike White or Zach Wilson. If one of those guys is hurt you bring in Josh Johnson. 

4. There is no life in this team. He starts off with "All Gas no Break". Well that is a lie right from the start. It is all break and no gas. Heck we are in reverse right now. We set football back 100 years. 

5. He lies!!!! This guy has lied soooooo many times to everyone during his press talks that it makes Biden look like a guy telling the truth. If you get your shot you will not have to wear a mask. WRONG!!! We can not make people get the shot. WRONG!!!! Now Saleh. Mike White is the QB until Zach is ready to come back and maybe Mike may take over. WRONG!!!!!! Flacco is the starter. It takes time for the new things to click. WRONG!!!!! No team has EVER started off this bad as a D and Zach Wilson was on pace to break the NFL record for most INT's in a season and to start your career off. 

Time to ship off this moron as a HC. Arizona did it in 1 year so can the Jets. I don't buy the "Oh you can't fire him after just 1 season on other coach will come here." BS!!!! There are only 32 NFL HC jobs in the world. Ya you will have some great coaches fighting for those jobs. 

1 hour ago, jetfuel34 said:

NE spent more money than you think Judon cost them more than any of our FA

True, but that means little for this team.  NE had a lot more talent so they could use FA to plug holes. We still need to have a core of talent before doing so.  And the point still stands that JD did not penny pinch in FA like many believe

I agree with your points but I highly doubt Saleh is one and done. Maybe two and out if this team doesn’t turn it around next year. 

Not that we don't get enough bad publicity, yesterday former NY jet running back Zac Stacy, was arrested down here in central Florida for throwing his GF thru a TV screen, and other domestic crimes against his girlfriend. The TV station, keep showing the tape over & over and keep calling him a NY Jet.

1 hour ago, doumeyer said:

Not that we don't get enough bad publicity, yesterday former NY jet running back Zac Stacy, was arrested down here in central Florida for throwing his GF thru a TV screen, and other domestic crimes against his girlfriend. The TV station, keep showing the tape over & over and keep calling him a NY Jet.

I hate this because he barely played with us but of course the media want to bring it up as if we drafted him and made him a captain. 

1 hour ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

Not sure if Rex is taking the high road after getting backlash or if he's sincere.

I definitely think it’s sincere. Saleh speaks very well and even Shannahan says the guy is very smart. Knows what he’s talking about and knows who doesn’t. I’m down on his coaching so far but we probably have to at least give him next year to have more pieces for his defense. 

We need pass rushers and LBs way more than we do players in the secondary. When can we cut Mosley? That dude is robbing us.

• Like 2