Are Payton's actions a tell tale sign of quarterback competition?

Another thing I'll say about Book... if their was ever a draft pick I wish could have sat behind Brees for a year its him..

Book possesses alot of the same leadership and character qualities as Brees did and I think if any prospect would have benefited from sitting behind Brees it is Book, despite the fact that I think that sitting behind a guy is kinda overrated. For example, Winston may have learned how to be more mature sitting and watching Brees but thats not going to all of a sudden help his decision making in pressure situations. Just like Hill sitting behind Brees didn't make him the clear cut franchise QB. But in Books case, the similar stature, foot skills and leadership qualities Brees could have showed Book first hand what it takes to get the most out of his ability from a preparation standpoint. Who knows, maybe Brees still will but it'll be different.

On 5/5/2021 at 4:49 PM, Mid Iowa said:

It seems to me that we're forgetting that Book played/started for 3 years for a team that was pressing to be in the playoff race during that stretch.

Sure, the Irish had their fair share of draft picks, but not a ton. Notably their o-line was really stout and 2 tackles and a guard got drafted. I say this because so many teams have high draft picks surrounding a "marquee" player. Not so much with this pick/team. It's not like Alabama or Ohio State where a huge amount of their players get drafted, so everybody looks great by default.

But look at Book's numbers. The past 2 season he's 49-9 TD to INT ratio. Those are not slouch numbers, and certainly considering the competition.

I don't agree with the notion of Book being a career backup. This isn't Chase Daniel we're talking about. This kid played against some of the better teams in college as a starter for 3 years and has one heck of a track record to show for it, unlike some of the other top picks over the last several years who've had 1 or maybe 2 good/great years.

Winston is likely going to get the nod going into 2021 with Taysom playing the gadget QB. Book will be the insurance policy while he learns, and 2022 will be the tell tail, and will be the shape of our backfield for years to come.

Is JW on just a 1-year contract now or is it longer?

I would caution against looking too much at wins and his leadership abilities. Lots of successful college QBs were great leaders and won a ton of games and simply didn’t pan out. 

A competitor that wins and knows how to lead his teammates is very important, but it doesn’t always translate against NFL defenses.

54 minutes ago, Dome said:

I would caution against looking too much at wins and his leadership abilities. Lots of successful college QBs were great leaders and won a ton of games and simply didn’t pan out. 

A competitor that wins and knows how to lead his teammates is very important, but it doesn’t always translate against NFL defenses.

Of course nothing is guaranteed with any pick. I really do like the way Payton/Loomis pick their guys, though.

Look at Colston - 7 round pick, very humble. Landed a big contract and bought a used vehicle (LOL). And was a quiet leader at a bargain.
Kamara - 3rd round pick, very humble. Landed a big contract and hasn't spent a dime of it. Leading by example, and has a work ethic that's 2nd to none.
Zach Strief - 7th round pick, ^^copy & paste^^

I think the mindset has more to do with the Payton/Loomis formula than almost anything else. 
So to take Book in the 4th round... I guess time will tell regarding all the other things, but we do really well with the mid-late round picks.

Hopefully Books college performance does indeed translate, and having your team's support sure goes a long way.