2022 NFL Draft Talk

lumberjackchris

What portion of the draft will be picking?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. What portion of the draft will be picking?

• Top 3
    • Top 10
    • Top 15

10 hours ago, lumberjackchris said:

Shough can sling it. I like his throwing motion, tight with a quick release. 

Why’d he leave Oregon? Grad transfer?

Started last year as a redshirt freshman but started losing playing time at the end of the season, so he decided to transfer. Very glad he did, he should a lot of poise last night. 

Of the big names, Malik Willis is probably the only guy who really looked serviceable - and even that is something that can't be properly evaluated, as he was going up against a Bishop Sycamore-type team.

Spencer Rattler had some good moments, some really flashy throws - but wow, he also had some absolute disaster moments out there too. Rattler looked like he was going way too off script, he's nowhere near pro ready now. He's trying to be Pat Mahomes out there...

Sam Howell is pretty much off my first round board at this point. He was a product of a stacked offense around him last season, and when you remove two of his top RBs and his top two WRs? He's completely overwhelmed. It was a game in the spotlight, and he choked it away with a bad showing. He's got to have a Joe Burrow-like run for the rest of the season to get back into the discussion; Right now, if he's there at 2.1 - I'd consider him. I'd possibly trade up to 1.30ish for him. That's about it.

Desmond Riddler, Kedon Slovis and Carson Strong looked solid, from what I've heard. Maybe they get into the discussion. Next year's class looks like it might have a legitimate headliner with Bryce Young out of Alabama (not even BoB could screw that up) with DJ Uiagalelei looking very vulnerable against Georgia.

I'm starting to lean towards non QB at 1.1, and starting to ask myself if you can draft a CB at that spot...

On 9/4/2021 at 10:08 PM, lumberjackchris said:

Shough can sling it. I like his throwing motion, tight with a quick release. 

Why’d he leave Oregon? Grad transfer?

because he wasnt going to be the starter.   honestly he wasnt that impressive to me.  his top receiver made him better than what he was. not to mention tech ran all over us on defense. i want to see him play against good defenses.

oh wait the big 12 dont have any!

Edited by Texansfan713

On 9/6/2021 at 6:53 AM, ET80 said:

Of the big names, Malik Willis is probably the only guy who really looked serviceable - and even that is something that can't be properly evaluated, as he was going up against a Bishop Sycamore-type team.

Spencer Rattler had some good moments, some really flashy throws - but wow, he also had some absolute disaster moments out there too. Rattler looked like he was going way too off script, he's nowhere near pro ready now. He's trying to be Pat Mahomes out there...

Sam Howell is pretty much off my first round board at this point. He was a product of a stacked offense around him last season, and when you remove two of his top RBs and his top two WRs? He's completely overwhelmed. It was a game in the spotlight, and he choked it away with a bad showing. He's got to have a Joe Burrow-like run for the rest of the season to get back into the discussion; Right now, if he's there at 2.1 - I'd consider him. I'd possibly trade up to 1.30ish for him. That's about it.

Desmond Riddler, Kedon Slovis and Carson Strong looked solid, from what I've heard. Maybe they get into the discussion. Next year's class looks like it might have a legitimate headliner with Bryce Young out of Alabama (not even BoB could screw that up) with DJ Uiagalelei looking very vulnerable against Georgia.

I'm starting to lean towards non QB at 1.1, and starting to ask myself if you can draft a CB at that spot...

if we dont take a qb at pick 1, we definitely should a pass rusher.  

Kayvon Thibodeaux - Football - University of Oregon Athletics

On 9/7/2021 at 1:52 PM, ET80 said:

Well... let's see how that ankle looks after he got rolled up.

Not a good day for 1.1 guys.

Thibodeaux OUT today. Against OSU, no less - this is a showcase game, and he is sitting. Not knocking him for having to sit, but it's showing the severity of this injury...

That ankle injury is going to be trouble. We've already lived through a physical freak who couldn't stay healthy in Jadevion Clowney... so hard pass for me (for now).

Trade down inside the top 10, pick up Derek Stingley or Kyle Hamilton. Or possibly trade down into the 10-15 range and THEN risk it on a guy like Willis or Carson Strong.

That's my suggestion.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok.

- Matt Corral might be in the middle of a Joe Burrow-like rise to 1.1, he's putting up gaudy numbers and making incredible throws and runs. I think it's less of a stretch to think Corral at 1.1 than it was for Burrow at 1.1 that last year in Baton Rouge (Corral has been a trendy darkhorse for the 1st round since this off-season, Burrow was barely thought of as a 5th round pick going into that season with LSU).

- Spencer Rattler needs to return to Oklahoma next season. He looks really uncomfortable back there, he's not reading defenses well and isn't looking like a typical Lincoln Riley QB. Perhaps last season with no crowds made him look better than he actually was? Nonetheless, he's doing himself a disservice if he declares. He'll still go top 10, but he'll fail if he comes out now.

- Sam Howell is starting to find his footing, but he's still a very risky option. I said I'd consider him at 2.1; I've changed that, I'd think about trading up to 1.20 if he was on the board.

- I want to like Malik Willis, I really do. But, I just can't get past the level of competition, specifically given his skill set of him as the most athletic guy on the field on any given play. His tools SEEM like they translate, but I don't know until I see him against sonebody worthy of note (Willis v Corral in November might be the final exam for both...)

- Carson Strong is a guy with significant upside; His arm is pristine, can throw a deep ball and drop it in a basket, from anywhere it seems. His competetion check-up was not exactly a great showing, as he made some bonehead plays vs Kansas State. If the Texans traded down from 1.1, Strong would be very high on the list.

- Kedon Slovis just lost his starting gig, which doesn't bode well for him. True Fr Jaxson Dart is a superior player (potential 1.1 in 2024) so Slovis might have to hit the transfer portal and try to have a year where he blows up. His draft prospects are at an all time low now.

- Another week out with Kayvon Thibodeaux; His stock is dropping a bit, but he's still the BPA (right or wrong). Even if he returns and plays at a high level... I'd run every possible test on this ankle.

- Derek Stingley Jr at 1.1 doesn't sound too crazy... does it? If you need a lockdown CB, he's your guy. He's an immediate, impact starter for any secondary.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Been a while since I checked in, mostly because pretty much every top 5 prospect has nose dived - none more than the guy I liked the most, Spencer Rattler. He's now holding a clipboard for Caleb Williams, and will most definitely not be declaring for the draft this off-season. He's probably destined for the transfer portal, and I see Ole Miss as a potential option with Matt Corral probably on his way to the NFL.

I'm here today because I want to get an idea on Pitt QB Kenny Pickett. The 5th year Sr is having a Joe Burrow-like ascension, putting up video game numbers and looking every bit the part with his acumen as a runner and passer. I doubt he gets to 1.1 but he's worth a look, maybe even trade up from the 2nd round.