2022 NFL Draft Talk

lumberjackchris

What portion of the draft will be picking?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. What portion of the draft will be picking?

• Top 3
    • Top 10
    • Top 15

1 hour ago, Pastor Dillon said:

Yep. If 6 is clearly a QB then that’s going to elevate the market for sure. 

People are saying both Desmond Ridder and Sam Howell are getting buzz as first round QBs - I don’t see it in Howell, maybe can see it in Ridder after a few beers - but the more QBs get consideration for that, the better it is for the Texans; Not just 3, but 13 - and even 37, after teams have a day to recalibrate their boards.

Dare I say - things are lining up for Houston to come out of the draft sitting well.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

Saw a mock that had us getting Hamilton and Gardner in the 1st. I’d take that. Our secondary has been awful. 

I'd love that, probably my top two guys in the draft. Go all OL in rounds 2-3, bring in skill positions rounds 4-6.

I'd be geeked.

10 hours ago, ET80 said:

I'd love that, probably my top two guys in the draft. Go all OL in rounds 2-3, bring in skill positions rounds 4-6.

I'd be geeked.

I'm going to make the argument for #3. Ikwonu & Linderbaum #13. It fixes the OL & if you get a 2nd round RB, it gives Mills the best chance to succeed. Throw in another capable TE & WR, and Mills should be set up to be the best version of himself sooner rather than later. Secondary is still a huge problem but everything can't be fixed in one season.

9 minutes ago, Blaze said:

I'm going to make the argument for #3. Ikwonu & Linderbaum #13. It fixes the OL & if you get a 2nd round RB, it gives Mills the best chance to succeed. Throw in another capable TE & WR, and Mills should be set up to be the best version of himself sooner rather than later. Secondary is still a huge problem but everything can't be fixed in one season.

Linderbaum is a ZBS center.  His movement and tenacity are exceptional for a center.

He does not fit in a gap / power blocking scheme that the Texans are implementing.

TBH I think there are several candidates that will be available lower in the draft who fit Pep's scheme better.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Blaze said:

I wouldn’t have a major issue with this, but I’m only OK if we draft a G somewhere in there.

If the intent is to kick Tytus Howard to the inside, then the OL is still a sore spot that needs correction. The lack of run game isn’t because of the play at T, but the lack of inside push at G/C/G.

Draft an OK, sure. But fix your weaknesses, don’t just draft a guy and play Russian roulette across the unit.

With the team bringing in guys like Williams, Elam and Green. I think Nick's setting up to move out of 3, or something to where we're drafting in the mid teens to early 20's. Of course we need a trade partner, but with the Panthers so hot and heavy for a QB, other teams know they have to leap frog them to get their guy. I'm not totally sure what NOLA is doing, but I'd certainly take 16 and 19 for 3.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ET80 said:

I wouldn’t have a major issue with this, but I’m only OK if we draft a G somewhere in there.

If the intent is to kick Tytus Howard to the inside, then the OL is still a sore spot that needs correction. The lack of run game isn’t because of the play at T, but the lack of inside push at G/C/G.

Draft an OK, sure. But fix your weaknesses, don’t just draft a guy and play Russian roulette across the unit.

LT Tunsil 

LG Ikwonu

C. ?

RG. ?

RT Howard

I think that's the makings of a solid offensive line that you hope turns into a strength. I, like many of you, don't like versatility on the line like BOB did it, but Ikwonu has legit guard/tackle potential. Much more of a mauler than Howard is. 

1 hour ago, jch1911 said:

Current starting oline ain't bad IMHO... IF (big IF) Scharping goes back to his promise that he showed his rookie year next to Tunsil

LT Tunsil    LG Scharping    C Britt   RG Cann   RT Howard

This is my take, sorta. Draft a G early, because the weakness of this OL isn’t on the bookends. It’s inside, which is why the run game isn’t going.

Give me an actual G over shoehorning a T into a spot they haven’t played in a few years and stunting their development.

• Like 1

Sauce Gardner at 3 is starting to interest me. I’ve seen mocks having the Jets snag him at 4 and his body of work is near flawless for his position through college. Hamilton might be the safest bet in the draft, but Sauce ain’t too far behind.

I’d still prefer Hamilton, Thibs and could concede to Neal or Icky - but Sauce at 3 would be good for me.

• Like 2

First time doing a mock in a minute. A lot more enjoyable now that we have actual draft picks again. The fun is that there's a lot of different directions we can go. Pretty much everyone position is a need at this point which means we can go BPA. I will say that I feel like RB, interior OL, pass rusher, and secondary are the biggest needs. I included some random thoughts below as well:

• I hope we take at least 2 RBs this draft class. I'd like someone on day 2 at the latest, but I like what the 49ers did last year drafting both Sermon and Mitchell. I want us to infuse some youth into the position and quit relying on washed up RBs.
  • I think we go WR sooner than some might expect. Pick 13 is a great spot to have our choice of WRs, but we could also use our second round pick as well. 
  • One of the few positions I don't see us going with early on is LB. I'm not opposed to it if we end up drafting one, but I feel decently confident between Kirksey, Grugier-Hill, and Reeves-Maybin.

First Round (3): Derek Stingley, CB, LSU

The more I think about it, the more I think CB is a massive need. I could see us going Travon Walker here, but I think he goes to Detroit. What Stingley put on tape his freshman year is what gets him drafted as the #3 player. The reason I think the Texans like him more than Sauce is he has more versatility to play zone or man defense. Sauce is talented, but I could see him struggling in zone which I know Lovie will run. Might not be popular, but I think he’s going higher than most people realize and will turn into a #1 CB immediately. 

First Round (13): Jameson Williams, WR, Alabama

Lots of direction we can go with this pick, but I want to help out Mills. Jameson Williams has game-changing speed to help stretch the defenses. Not only is he fast, but he is a savvy route-runner as well. The ACL tear is a concern, but he should be able to see the field this season and could be a real difference-maker on offense. I could see Wilson also being in play here, but I think Williams is the guy that’s available and fits what we need at receiver. 

Second Round (37): David Ojabo, DE, Michigan

Ojabo isn’t exactly the sum of his parts, but he has an incredible first step and the ability to develop into a every down DE down the road. We’re severely lacking at pass rusher so we need to address this by day 2 at the latest. Ojabo is coming off of an achilles injury, but I feel confident he’d go round 1 if healthy. He’s worth drafting and stashing if it means he recovers. Start him off as a pass rusher in year 2 and see what happens from there. 

Third Round (68): Cole Strange, G, Chattanooga

Between Tunsil at LT, Howard at RT, and Heck as the swing, I feel confident in our tackles. However, I do not feel confident in our guards. Strange played at a small school, but showed up against bigger schools like Kentucky when given the chance. The best part is he could play center or guard at the next level and gives us some flexibility on the interior. We have Britt and Cann in the short term, but I like Strange’s ability to be a long-term answer at either position.

Third Round (80): Zamir White, RB, Georgia

I’d like to see RB sooner, but I also think we can take two RBs this draft and end up just fine. White is a no-nonsense runner who will grind out yards like nobody’s business. He tested better than I expected and plays with incredible balance. He’s untested in the passing game and is best served as an early down grinder. I feel confident that we won’t fall into third and long situations with him at RB. With White in the fold, I’d like to take a scat back towards the end of the draft to see what happens. 

Fourth Round (107): Jelani Woods, TE, Virginia

Woods is the reincarnation of Mercedes Lewis. He’s a big bodied TE who plays best at the Y. He’s got the size to be a great blocker, but can still offer value as a receiver with a massive catch radius. Brevin Jordan is best as a move TE while Woods can do more damage in-line. Between these two, I feel confident we’ll be fine at TE moving forward. 

Fourth Round (108): JT Woods, S, Baylor

I know, the irony of picking players back to back named Woods. Total flier, but Woods is a playmaker in the secondary. He doesn’t have pro size, but he finds a way to show up on film with his speed and his ball skills are fantastic. He needs to play with more discipline, but I’d rather take a chance on someone like Woods hoping that he can put it all together.

• Like 1