2022 NFL Draft Talk

lumberjackchris

What portion of the draft will be picking?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. What portion of the draft will be picking?

• Top 3
    • Top 10
    • Top 15

3. Sauce Gardner | CB | Cincinatti 

13. Jermaine Johnson | Edge | Florida State

37. Christian Watson | WR | NDSU

68. Breece Hall | RB | Iowa State

80. Kerby Joseph | S | Illinois 

107. Cordell Volson | OT | NDSU 

108. Brandon Smith | LB | Penn State

183. Verone McKinley III | S | Oregon 

• Like 2

On 4/8/2022 at 8:32 AM, lumberjackchris said:

I saw some rumors on twitter about Thibs having something that happened and they’ve kept it quiet but people are digging around now and it could get exposed soon. We shall see.

The Eagles seem to be the ones leaking those rumors.

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:
10 hours ago, LORK88 said:

Horn and Surtain certainly looked great last year. 

Horn only played in 3 games, lol.

Surtain looked like a future All Pro, so I guess it balances out?

Lance has Walker going 1-1 in his new mock. 

Then has us going Neal at 3 with the presumption that we cut Tunsil with his 35 million dollar cap hit and 19 mil in savings I’d we cut him.

At 13 he mentioned Lloyd from Utah and how much of a stud he his. But settled on Wyatt the 3T from Georgia 

29 minutes ago, lumberjackchris said:

Lance has Walker going 1-1 in his new mock. 

Then has us going Neal at 3 with the presumption that we cut Tunsil with his 35 million dollar cap hit and 19 mil in savings I’d we cut him.

At 13 he mentioned Lloyd from Utah and how much of a stud he his. But settled on Wyatt the 3T from Georgia 

Why cut Tunsil at this point?  Still need a LT... at least see how the season starts

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Surtain looked like a future All Pro, so I guess it balances out?

You can make a case that any position is bad value near the top of the draft because there's going to be a high bust rate for literally every single one. But if you really believe that he can be a top tier guy, you take him. I think one of the things that makes it hard for CB's taken that highly to succeed, especially early on, is that they're typically going to teams that lack a consistent pass rush. And it's basically impossible for any CB to play well if the QB has all day to throw. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NYRaider said:

3. Sauce Gardner | CB | Cincinatti 

13. Jermaine Johnson | Edge | Florida State

37. Christian Watson | WR | NDSU

68. Breece Hall | RB | Iowa State

80. Kerby Joseph | S | Illinois 

107. Cordell Volson | OT | NDSU 

108. Brandon Smith | LB | Penn State

183. Verone McKinley III | S | Oregon 

doubt Hall falls to 68 but thats a pretty solid mock even though I'm not huge on taking Gardner at 3.  Johnson is my ideal target at 13. 

46 minutes ago, lumberjackchris said:

... why?

No need to create a hole, especially after you restructure the guy. Tunsil has expressed he wants to be back and plays at a near elite level when he's healthy. Why cut him when salary cap isn't an issue?

In essence you're drafting Neal at 3... simply because you cut Tunsil. You can keep Tunsil and almost assuredly get better LT play than what a rookie brings to the table at LT.

It's not worth the $19mm in savings, IMO. Let Tunsil continue as a Texan.

35 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

You can make a case that any position is bad value near the top of the draft because there's going to be a high bust rate for literally every single one. But if you really believe that he can be a top tier guy, you take him. I think one of the things that makes it hard for CB's taken that highly to succeed, especially early on, is that they're typically going to teams that lack a consistent pass rush. And it's basically impossible for any CB to play well if the QB has all day to throw. 

The only counter I'd bring is that Lovie has a scheme that is very favorable for CBs who aren't athletic world beaters - guys like Ronde Barber, Peanut Tillman weren't the fleetest of foot, but they understood their responsibility and played to some strengths outside of their assignment (Ronde was probably the best blitzing CB in football, Peanut forced an absurd amount of fumbles).

Lovie could find a guy who could fit his scheme at a lot of points in the draft, sure. It just so happens Sauce can fit his scheme very well, has the athletic ability to play multiple schemes, has the collegiate tape that shows him playing at a very high level and has a quick rapport with Lovie (who is his DC). 

People lament on the Texans OL - yeah, it needs to improve but there is first round talent on the OL (specifically at T). If the Texans had a game tomorrow, LT and RT have good starters as well as depth in T Charlie Heck. Can that improve? Absolutely, but the need is for interior OL.

Secondary, on the other hand? Equally as bad (31st ranked defense, 23rd ranked passing defense) and only got worse with the departure of S Justin Reid. If this secondary had to play tomorrow - slot CB Desmond King is probably the only guy who deserves to be on the field. Guys like Eric Murray, Jonathan Owens (a guy best known for being Simone Biles' fiance) Lonnie Johnson and Taviere Thomas would be starting. Thus secondary is begging to be destroyed by pretty much any QB/WR combo... It's not even about a lack of depth, it's a lack of EVERYTHING.

As far as I see it, the secondary has been neglected through multiple regimes. The last big move in this secondary was drafting Kevin Johnson in 2015 - prior to that, bringing in Ed Reed in 2013.

That has to change. It's a passing league, and if you want to win games, you have to be able to stop the pass (moreso than pass the ball yourself).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ET80 said:

The only counter I'd bring is that Lovie has a scheme that is very favorable for CBs who aren't athletic world beaters - guys like Ronde Barber, Peanut Tillman weren't the fleetest of foot, but they understood their responsibility and played to some strengths outside of their assignment (Ronde was probably the best blitzing CB in football, Peanut forced an absurd amount of fumbles).

Lovie could find a guy who could fit his scheme at a lot of points in the draft, sure. It just so happens Sauce can fit his scheme very well, has the athletic ability to play multiple schemes, has the collegiate tape that shows him playing at a very high level and has a quick rapport with Lovie (who is his DC). 

Lovie did develop Nate Hobbs at Illinois who was borderline godly for us as a rookie last season so I believe you. Would you rather take him at #3 and potentially miss on one of the top tier pass rushers or get a top tier pass rusher and then settle for one of the other CBs either at #13 or at the top of the 2nd though given Lovie's ability to develop CBs.