2022 NFL Draft Talk

lumberjackchris

What portion of the draft will be picking?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. What portion of the draft will be picking?

• Top 3
    • Top 10
    • Top 15

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

This week vs Jax is likely going to decide who picks at 2 - and with Jax getting out from underneath Urban Meyer, I'm pretty confident in saying that Jax is going to win.

So the Texans will likely win the Kayvon Thibodeaux sweepstakes, but in the event the Texans are picking 3, who would you want?

I'm fully on the Kyle Hamilton train with the pick - I'd honestly consider him even over Thibodeaux, to be fair. I think he's a difference maker in the secondary, a guy who can line up at multiple positions and impact the game at each level. He can play zones, he can play man on the slot and in the boundary, he can cover backs out of the backfield, he can attack when he sees run... He reminds me a lot of Troy Polamalu in that sense, an incredibly athletic S who plays with enhanced football IQ and instincts. 

Defenses are getting creative with how they deploy these sort of players, and Hamilton could be that sort of guy for this team.

My hope is that Jacksonville takes Evan Neal regardless if they pick 2nd or 3rd so we don't have to worry about either DE not being available. If both DEs go, I want either Stingley or Hamilton. Talent-wise, Hamilton is one of the top players in the entire draft. The only thing that worries me is how valuable is his skillset and would it be wasted with us if we don't have the talent up front to stop the run. On the flip side, I'm worried that a lot of us are more worried about fit instead of recognizing his incredible talent and truly going BPA. 

Fun question for everyone, purely hypothetical. If you could trade Laremy Tunsil this offseason for a 1st rounder in the 20's and a conditional day 2/day 3 pick next year, would you do it? Why or why not? 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, LORK88 said:

Fun question for everyone, purely hypothetical. If you could trade Laremy Tunsil this offseason for a 1st rounder in the 20's and a conditional day 2/day 3 pick next year, would you do it? Why or why not?

I'd do it in a heartbeat - would alleviate that mammoth contract, you could slide Tytus Howard to LT, Charlie Heck to RT and look for ways to bolster the IOL (maybe even with that day 2 pick). 

Whatever the team can spin off for multiple assets is highly valued. If they can turn one player into two, they need to do it.

21 minutes ago, LORK88 said:

My hope is that Jacksonville takes Evan Neal regardless if they pick 2nd or 3rd so we don't have to worry about either DE not being available.

My Spidey sense tells me this is the more logical outcome (especially after Neal proves to be a freaking mutant during the combine) but Jacksonville is also in a spot where every position is due a significant upgrade.

If Trent Baalke stays, his strength is drafting - he put together an incredibly strong team in San Francisco back in the days (including a devastating LB corps with Patrick Willis, Navorro Bowman, Ahmed Brooks and Aldon Smith... all paired with Justin Smith anchoring that edge). He gets the value of getting two guys who can create havoc on that edge, so pairing Josh Allen with Thibs and using one of those extra picks he has on OL could be beneficial for his plan.

But... guys like Evan Neal don't show up often, and would be the most beneficial add for Trevor Lawrence.

We'll see...

I wouldn’t mind rebuilding the offense in the 1st 3 rounds taking

1st - Jameson Williams

2nd - Isaiah Spiller

3rd - best lineman available. 

im also not opposed to maybe trading our 2nd round pick to a team to get some more picks. If we are pick 4 in round 2, that’s prime spot for a team to trade up and take a QB in this draft. 

we could also look at help in the secondary with one of these picks and potentially a pick we get in a Watson trade if he’s out of jail 

31 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

I haven't scouted many WRs in this draft, but my standard MO is I like tall WR with speed and separation skills.

I'd still prefer a defensive guy in the 1st round but would REALLY like to see a guy like Drake London or Treylon Burkes in the 2nd (Both are probably top 25 guys, but if there are FRPs gained in a Watson deal...)

I think London would have been a top 10 pick had he not broke his ankle this season, he was imposing his will for USC - if his medicals clear and he shows the same explosion and ability to get 50/50 balls out of the air, I'm in.

You probably know more about Burkes than I do, but the thought of a 6' 4" 230lb guy who plays fast and physical is always on my radar. I don't know if Burkes can be an alpha WR (London can if he's healthy) but he'd still be a nice 1A next to Nico's 1B.

2 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

1st - Jameson Williams

2nd - Isaiah Spiller

3rd - best lineman available. 

im also not opposed to maybe trading our 2nd round pick to a team to get some more picks. If we are pick 4 in round 2, that’s prime spot for a team to trade up and take a QB in this draft. 

we could also look at help in the secondary with one of these picks and potentially a pick we get in a Watson trade if he’s out of jail 

I’m joining this same boat. Especially if we trade back in the 1st.

16 minutes ago, Texansfan713 said:

i still would pass on him after round 1.  no need to take a qb. not a fan of any of them honestly. 

I think Corral is the best of the group, and has physical tools that can be built on with a year of observation. There's very little doubt in my mind he'd be the BPA in the 2nd round...

Nonetheless, it's moot - he sprained his ankle, so he's going to be good by the time combine season starts. I'm half expecting Pittsburgh or Carolina to take him top 10.

On 1/3/2022 at 1:42 PM, ET80 said:

I think Corral is the best of the group, and has physical tools that can be built on with a year of observation. There's very little doubt in my mind he'd be the BPA in the 2nd round...

Nonetheless, it's moot - he sprained his ankle, so he's going to be good by the time combine season starts. I'm half expecting Pittsburgh or Carolina to take him top 10.

I've been watching QBs under the assumption that we won't be taking one early. I like the idea of adding another Mills type character on day 2 or 3. A few of the QBs I've identified as being potentially that late round addition..

Will Levis-The yang to Mills' ying. If Mills ever wet the bed and we were in need of a change up, boy would this be a change up. I think a fair comparison would be Taysom Hill. Not an elite thrower and probably never will be, but that kid can run, and I'd try just about anything to get our run game jumpstarted. We could even work him in for some wildcat/option type stuff while Mills is starting, but I think there's enough there to say he could potentially be a starting caliber QB largely because he's such a dangerous threat as a runner that defenses likely wouldn't be able to drop as many defenders into coverage. 

Jake Haener- Kind of short, but he's got a frickin cannon, and he's highly accurate. I saw one game where he throws a pretty lil buzzer beater while seemingly badly injured. I think he could develop into a starting QB as well.

Kaleb Eleby- Seems like he can make all the throws, seems like he's got the type of attitude the Texans are looking for. Also has a bit of athleticism.

Chris Oladokun intrigues me as well. 

31 minutes ago, PAtexansFAN_99 said:

Will Levis

Going back to Kentucky for 2022, but a flashy athlete...

32 minutes ago, PAtexansFAN_99 said:

Jake Haener

Transfer portal, going to the University of Washington for the '22 season - don't know much about him but he's TINY.

35 minutes ago, PAtexansFAN_99 said:

Kaleb Eleby

Now, he's declared - so this is somebody I'll have to check on.

37 minutes ago, PAtexansFAN_99 said:

Chris Oladokun

FCS, sorta slight in build, lost his starting job in 2020, had to transfer a few times to get on the field - but he did put up some nice numbers. Likely a UDFA, could be a PS "rags to riches" story with the right mentors.