2022 NFL Draft Talk

lumberjackchris

What portion of the draft will be picking?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. What portion of the draft will be picking?

• Top 3
    • Top 10
    • Top 15

7 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

Let just say we traded Watson to the giants for picks 5 and 7. 

how would you guys feel about taking 3 lineament at 3, 5, 7 and finally fix the problem there?

I know that’s crazy when we have so many needs but especially if we trade Tunsil. 

maybe take Neal, Cross and potentially trade down and take a guy like Green. 

just a thought 

Not a fan of this. We have way too many needs to take 3 OL in the top 10. I also guarantee that at least 1 of them would be a bust. I'd rather go BPA with home many holes we have. My dream scenario would be Thibodeaux at 3, Evan Neal or Ekwonu at 5, and Kyle Hamilton at 7. I'd assume we'd get a late 1st/early 2nd for Tunsil which would be BPA pick. Day 2 we absolutely need a RB; either KW3, Spiller or Hall.  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, LORK88 said:

Not a fan of this. We have way too many needs to take 3 OL in the top 10. I also guarantee that at least 1 of them would be a bust. I'd rather go BPA with home many holes we have. My dream scenario would be Thibodeaux at 3, Evan Neal or Ekwonu at 5, and Kyle Hamilton at 7. I'd assume we'd get a late 1st/early 2nd for Tunsil which would be BPA pick. Day 2 we absolutely need a RB; either KW3, Spiller or Hall.  

I'm actually walking my original opinion back a bit - I'm thinking cap wise, you don't want the OL contracts all expiring at the same time and renegotiating extensions along the same position group.

If the Texans end up with two FRPs T and both play very well, they'll have two guys competing to become the highest paid T in football, which is bad for the team. So, the Texans would be hoping one doesn't do as well as the other, which isn't how anyone should operate with draft picks.

I AM a proponent of OL in each round - if Caserio has two closely rated players in the 2nd (say Kenneth Walker III and Jaxon Kirkland) he should opt for the OL.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

I'm actually walking my original opinion back a bit - I'm thinking cap wise, you don't want the OL contracts all expiring at the same time and renegotiating extensions along the same position group.

If the Texans end up with two FRPs T and both play very well, they'll have two guys competing to become the highest paid T in football, which is bad for the team. So, the Texans would be hoping one doesn't do as well as the other, which isn't how anyone should operate with draft picks.

I AM a proponent of OL in each round - if Caserio has two closely rated players in the 2nd (say Kenneth Walker III and Jaxon Kirkland) he should opt for the OL.

That’s a problem 5-7 years down the road. If they are both that good, we are really really stinking good as a team and we will figure it out. 

rookie deals are 5 years and the. 2 potential franchise tags, the end of their contract shouldn’t even play into consideration. 

44 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

That’s a problem 5-7 years down the road. If they are both that good, we are really really stinking good as a team and we will figure it out. 

Eh... we had Eric Winston and Duane Brown at their best, and we weren't really stinking good. We were okay, but not exactly a team to beat. We eventually had to cut Winston because we were in cap trouble, had to find another cheaper option at T.

45 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

rookie deals are 5 years and the. 2 potential franchise tags, the end of their contract shouldn’t even play into consideration. 

Caserio needs to plan 5-6 years out - that's been THE issue with the Texans, too many short term decisions without real concern on what tomorrow will look like.

17 hours ago, ET80 said:

Eh... we had Eric Winston and Duane Brown at their best, and we weren't really stinking good. We were okay, but not exactly a team to beat. We eventually had to cut Winston because we were in cap trouble, had to find another cheaper option at T.

Caserio needs to plan 5-6 years out - that's been THE issue with the Texans, too many short term decisions without real concern on what tomorrow will look like.

Winston wasn’t competing for top overall money either. And we made the playoffs Winston’s last year and the first year he was gone. I wouldn’t call that a fair comparison. 

I am wondering if Neal will be the pick. I don’t know much about him. He didn’t seem like a great pass protector but was amazing at run blocking. That’s not good for the 3rd overall pick. 

i want to keep Tunsil. He’s just 27 years old and he’s a massive cap hit to trade or cut. He’s not a guy that’s better off gone, he’s still a 6-8 year starter at LT. I think his market is probably down enough to get him to restructure his contract. I’m not even opposed to adding years and money but dropping his per year amount. 

I feel like someone will want to move up to 3 and it’s a prime place to trade back for us and collect additional picks. Collecting 2023 picks could be huge for us, especially if we decide to go QB in next years draft. 

honestly I feel like we could have a decent team next year. Not a playoff team but 5-8 wins. 

• Like 2

On 1/21/2022 at 6:57 AM, Pastor Dillon said:

i want to keep Tunsil.

I just really don't think we pick at 3. There are so many different trades I would accept for 3. 

KT, Hutchinson, Neal, Hamilton, Ekwonu, Cross (here's where I go a lil off the rails), Nakobe Dean, Kenneth Walker (I really think by the time draft day rolls around he'll be a consensus top 10 pick), Jameson Williams or Garrett Wilson, or Chris Olave.. There's a lot of different players we could draft in the first round and I'd be a happy camper. As long as we don't trade out of the top 10, I think we get approximately the same caliber player we'd have drafted at 3, and obviously we need to stockpile picks. 

I get the feeling Laremy's just like not down to play. I think he injured his thumb and then he never played another snap. I feel like he basically did what Watson did but participated with the FO in keeping in on the DL. I'd love to have a motivated LT and LT, but I'm almost certain he's outty. 

10 hours ago, PAtexansFAN_99 said:

I get the feeling Laremy's just like not down to play. I think he injured his thumb and then he never played another snap. I feel like he basically did what Watson did but participated with the FO in keeping in on the DL. I'd love to have a motivated LT and LT, but I'm almost certain he's outty. 

I feel the same way - it was a 3-4 week injury, and he missed 11 weeks IIRC.

Tunsil wanted out, and the injury was his ticket to sit.

6 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

I’m not trading out of 3 until the 2nd pick is made. On the off chance that something crazy happens in the top 2, we could still get one of those DEs 

No thanks. I am tired of wasting our top picks on edge rushers. Draft Neal (RT) and keep Tunsil. Set this offense up for long-term success with a dominant OL. Trade Howard to someone who needs LT and will over pay. 

1 hour ago, amazingandre said:

No thanks. I am tired of wasting our top picks on edge rushers. Draft Neal (RT) and keep Tunsil. Set this offense up for long-term success with a dominant OL. Trade Howard to someone who needs LT and will over pay. 

I don't think Tunsil wants to be here, but I'm OK with Neal and Howard at T...