2021 Rookie Talk

DreamKid

1 hour ago, DreamKid said:

Moving pretty good.

I’d be shocked based on how he looks there if they don’t call him up for this game against what’s been a very leaky Colts secondary. This would be a far better introduction opportunity than against the #4 rated pass DVOA Chargers next week, that’s for sure.

13 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

I’d be shocked based on how he looks there if they don’t call him up for this game against what’s been a very leaky Colts secondary. This would be a far better introduction opportunity than against the #4 rated pass DVOA Chargers next week, that’s for sure.

Agreed. They can monitor his snaps like they did with Hollywood upon his return back in 2019, but he looks ready and needs to start getting some in game reps. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, SalvadorsDeli said:

Injury to Watkins + the growing realization that we're gonna be in a shootout pretty much every week means Bateman better be ready to put on the big boy pants right away starting next week. 

Was thinking the same thing when Sammy went down. It should at least allow Lamar to develop some chemistry with Bateman with opportunities, since Watkins role was probably the role Bateman best fit into anyway. So if Bateman can be that dude from jump, we shouldn’t really miss anything… and if he can upgrade due to his increased speed, it could help to elevate the team even further.

39 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

and if he can upgrade due to his increased speed, it could help to elevate the team even further.

2019 Bateman might've been faster, but 2020 Bateman definitely wasn't imo. That's something to watch for, does he look more like his 2019 Stefon Diggs comp version or his 2020 Keenan Allen comp version. 

I think PFF has Osa and Micah over Oweh still, but NFL Next Gen has him atop the pressures leaderboard. What constitutes a pressure can vary from outlet to outlet so that's why you'll occasionally see different rankings. Oweh is currently on pace for over 60 pressures. As a Rookie Von Miller had 60, Aldon Smith 64, and Nick Bosa 80(Which is insane lol) per PFF. So he's in good company if he can keep or increase his pace. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DreamKid said:

Drop sucked, but he looked great otherwise. Hopefully he gets more downfield targets against Cinci. 

6 hours ago, Ray Reed said:

Can tell Lamar already trusts him a ton.

What’s also interesting is that Lamar hasn’t typically been an “out route” type passer. Doing some damage in those intermediate spots along the sidelines, if it’s not in the middle of the field. Yet two of Bateman’s completions came on out breaking routes.

Which is a great sign, especially because it was Bateman’s in breaking routes where I truly felt him to be special. If he can continue to establish that reliability with route concepts Lamar hasn’t been his best in (though admittedly Proche sort of Lamar’s out route guy to this point and hasn’t disappointed) than that can pay dividends in Lamar’s increased confidence to attack all parts of the field.

• Like 1

On 10/18/2021 at 6:43 PM, diamondbull424 said:

What’s also interesting is that Lamar hasn’t typically been an “out route” type passer. Doing some damage in those intermediate spots along the sidelines, if it’s not in the middle of the field. Yet two of Bateman’s completions came on out breaking routes.

Which is a great sign, especially because it was Bateman’s in breaking routes where I truly felt him to be special. If he can continue to establish that reliability with route concepts Lamar hasn’t been his best in (though admittedly Proche sort of Lamar’s out route guy to this point and hasn’t disappointed) than that can pay dividends in Lamar’s increased confidence to attack all parts of the field.

What I envision in Bateman is that intermediate bended-off post route, about 15 yards deep that demolishes a zone scheme a la DJ Moore.

• Like 1