2021 Minor League and Amateur Thread

hrubes20

The results early are impressive for Jordan Walker even if it's a limited sample size.

12 G, 53 PA, .357/.491/.643, 204 wRC+, 18.9 BB%, 20.8 K%

I know the sample size is small, but the kid is hitting the ball incredibly hard.  If he keeps hitting like this, he's going to be a top 100 prospect quick.  Right now, he's probably the Cardinals #5 prospect.

On 5/20/2021 at 11:20 AM, CWood21 said:

The results early are impressive for Jordan Walker even if it's a limited sample size.

12 G, 53 PA, .357/.491/.643, 204 wRC+, 18.9 BB%, 20.8 K%

I know the sample size is small, but the kid is hitting the ball incredibly hard.  If he keeps hitting like this, he's going to be a top 100 prospect quick.  Right now, he's probably the Cardinals #5 prospect.

This kid has a really good bat.  Should be ready to take over 1B in St. Louis after Goldy's deal is over with.  

I'm assuming by the "amateur" part of the thread, we can put college baseball talk in here so...

Tyler Black just hit a mammoth HR, over the Wright State scoreboard, on a pitch that was at his knees in a 3-2 count.

EDIT - Pitch wasn't as low as I initially thought. Here's the video.

Edited by beekay414

Cesar Prieto, who some say was the best prospect in Cuba, defected last week.  He's only 22, so he will be subject to IFA spending limits once he is eligible to sign.  I will just assume the White Sox find a way to bring him in.

Why can't I have nice things as a sports fan? Wright State was up 8-5 on the 3rd overall seed Tennessee in the 9th, only to give up a walk-off grand slam. I hate sports.

First off, we are way ******* underseeded. We shouldn't be the 4th seed in the damn 3rd overall seeds region while a team like Campbell got an at-large bid and a friggin' 3 seed despite having lost to friggin' Presbyterian in their conference tournament. WSU was 25th in RPI while Campbell was 38th. Yet we're the 4 seed, playing one of the nation's best in regionals while Campbell gets the 3 seed in Starkville. Southern bias is ridiculously strong in baseball.

26 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Why can't I have nice things as a sports fan? Wright State was up 8-5 on the 3rd overall seed Tennessee in the 9th, only to give up a walk-off grand slam. I hate sports.

First off, we are way ******* underseeded. We shouldn't be the 4th seed in the damn 3rd overall seeds region while a team like Campbell got an at-large bid and a friggin' 3 seed despite having lost to friggin' Presbyterian in their conference tournament. WSU was 25th in RPI while Campbell was 38th. Yet we're the 4 seed, playing one of the nation's best in regionals while Campbell gets the 3 seed in Starkville. Southern bias is ridiculously strong in baseball.

Can't wait to see this no hitter broken up.😉

On 5/26/2021 at 12:31 PM, hrubes20 said:

This kid has a really good bat.  Should be ready to take over 1B in St. Louis after Goldy's deal is over with.  

On the DL right now, but I'd anticipate they'll try him out in the OF since 3B probably isn't the future position for him.  Especially with Arenado under contract.

Went to see Torkelson, Dingler, and Daniel Cabrerra last night and they did not disapoint.  Tork has his OBP up to .438, Dingler is up to .403 and both are hitting the ball hard. Riley Greene appears to be settling in nicely in Erie as well showing a little more power. I am excited for the future bats in Detroit.

On 5/20/2021 at 11:31 AM, THE DUKE said:

So is Jo Adell just a bad hitter, or do people still think he puts it together?  Plenty of power and athleticism, but it looks like once pitchers got a book on him that he hasn't been able to adjust.

Not sure yet, but thing Ive liked is that he has improved and adjusted to the pitching in each league in his second year at the level, and this really is his 2nd year in AAA and he was utterly destroyed in the majors last year and I think its going to take sometime to get over that. Personally, I would still have him as a top 10 prospect if he were eligible. As you said, the power and athleticism is there. He could play serviceable RF and a great LF. Thats an above average player in baseball at the moment. He's going to K over 30% of the time, but if he can keep it around 30% and walk a little more, he's going to be a all star. Plus, he turned 22 in April.

Edited by devils1854
wrong positions

On 6/11/2021 at 9:12 AM, Sllim Pickens said:

Went to see Torkelson, Dingler, and Daniel Cabrerra last night and they did not disapoint.  Tork has his OBP up to .438, Dingler is up to .403 and both are hitting the ball hard. Riley Greene appears to be settling in nicely in Erie as well showing a little more power. I am excited for the future bats in Detroit.

Torkelson has been everything a Detroit fan could have wanted so far in the early going.  He gonna be really good.  

On 6/11/2021 at 1:06 PM, devils1854 said:

Not sure yet, but thing Ive liked is that he has improved and adjusted to the pitching in each league in his second year at the level, and this really is his 2nd year in AAA and he was utterly destroyed in the majors last year and I think its going to take sometime to get over that. Personally, I would still have him as a top 10 prospect if he were eligible. As you said, the power and athleticism is there. He could play serviceable RF and a great LF. Thats an above average player in baseball at the moment. He's going to K over 30% of the time, but if he can keep it around 30% and walk a little more, he's going to be a all star. Plus, he turned 22 in April.

I'm torn on Adell.  The plate discipline is really concerning, but the Angels have been crazy aggressive with him.  He's had 200 PAs at a stop in one season just 1 time since being drafted in 2017.  Otherwise he's been getting promoted.  

On 6/16/2021 at 3:01 PM, hrubes20 said:

Torkelson has been everything a Detroit fan could have wanted so far in the early going.  He gonna be really good.  

I'm torn on Adell.  The plate discipline is really concerning, but the Angels have been crazy aggressive with him.  He's had 200 PAs at a stop in one season just 1 time since being drafted in 2017.  Otherwise he's been getting promoted.  

I just hope 2020 doesnt derail his whole career. He's 4 years from being a HS draftee that lasted to 10 because of his rawness, and the organization trying to push him to the majors as fast as possible hasnt helped at all.