A-Rod's New team (if traded), what can Packers get in trade?

firstplace

1 hour ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Interesting that some of the forum is keen to get rid of him though.

Sometimes things just run their course.  The Packers are 0-4 in championship games in the past seven years and can't get over the hump.  They've got cap woes and the QB keeps making more money.  Maybe it's time to try the Qb on a rookie contract route and beef up the team around him.  I'm fine either way, probably not winning another title with Rodgers anyway.

51 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Sometimes things just run their course.  The Packers are 0-4 in championship games in the past seven years and can't get over the hump.  They've got cap woes and the QB keeps making more money.  Maybe it's time to try the Qb on a rookie contract route and beef up the team around him.  I'm fine either way, probably not winning another title with Rodgers anyway.

Fair enough. I wonder if this forum agrees with most of Gutey's moves or not. Need to spend more time around here, seeing as I'm more interested in NFC teams than AFC tbh.

1 hour ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Fair enough. I wonder if this forum agrees with most of Gutey's moves or not. Need to spend more time around here, seeing as I'm more interested in NFC teams than AFC tbh.

I think Gute has been pretty hit or miss with his moves here, like most average GMs, but his Hits have been really strong so it probably bumps him up to well above average.

Jaire Alexander and the associated trade bought him a lot of credibility IMO.  He probably spent some of that credibility immediately by doubling down on Josh Jackson, but the 2019 draft was a gem even if you don't love Gary.  Elgton Jenkins is just a stud.

2020 Draft is highly controversial with Love and AJ Dillon in backup positions.  Might have been one of his better efforts at the 3rd-5th rounds with Deguara and Martin, and possibly Runyan looking to be long term contributors.

Signing Zadarius Smith was a great move, Preston Smith was a solid contributor who hasn't been a slam dunk and has been one of those typical Free Agency overpays you see from a lot of other teams (but not your typical Ted Thompson packers move) and Amos is a better than solid move somewhere between Smith and Smith.

There haven't been any bone-headed signings on an albert haynesworth level.

Here’s my scenario:

Den Gets:
QB Aaron Rodgers
WR Davante Adams
TE Robert Tonyan
CB Chandon Sullivan*

GB Gets:
2022 1st Round Pick
2022 3rd Round Pick
2023 1st Round Pick
2023 3rd Round Pick
WR Jerry Jeudy
TE Noah Fant
CB Patrick Surtain Jr

Note that Sullivan doesn’t bring any value to the trade, other than freeing up a roster spot for GB and giving Denver some training camp depth. Tonyan and Adams provide some familiarity to Rodgers, while freeing up future CAP space for the Packers by not offering them extensions. Tonyan and Adams are both free agents at the end of 2021 and are unlikely to re-sign due to the limited CAP space. Adams would likely need to sign an extension with Denver in this scenario to complete this trade, or at least to make it more appealing for Denver. Other than the WRs (EQ, MVS, and Funchess), there are no major pending free agents going into 2022 for the Packers.

Looking towards the future:

Spotrac has the salary cap in 2022 @ $192.5M, which GB is currently $33M over before the Rodgers trade. Trading Rodgers costs us $17.2M vs the 2022 CAP in dead money (Saving Green Bay $22.6M).

I expect the CAP to at least match what it was in 2020 ($198.2M) even though Spotrac is @ $192M. After I make that adjustment to $198.2M, that would put the Packers roughly $6M over the CAP without factoring in the contracts we take on from Denver. Their contracts would be Jeudy $4.1M, Noah Fant $4.0M, and Patrick Surtain $3.4M(?). After adding their contracts $11.5M + $6M (what GB would be over) = $17.5M over my projected CAP of $198.2M. To make this work we would need the CAP to go over $215M, or simply release Preston Smith (Saving $12.5M) and Dean Lowry ($5.8M). GB releases Smith and Lowry following the 2021 season.

There would be some rollover CAP from 2021 following the trade of Adams, Rodgers, and Tonyan. We would also need to sign a QB for 2021 (who I would project to be Blake Bortles for the sake of time).

Going into 2022 we would need to figure out our WR situation, as well as a replacement for Preston Smith. To free up more CAP space and to cover the future, Zadarius Smith and Jaire Alexander would both be signed to contact extensions going into the 2022 season

Back to this season...

My 2021 projected roster:

QB – Love| Bortles (2)
RB – Jones | Dillon | Hill (5)
FB – Deguara (6)
WR – Jeudy | Funches | MVS | Lazard | Rodgers | St. Brown (12)
TE – Fant | Lewis | Sternberger | Dafney (16)
LT – Bakhtiari| Nijman (18)
LG – Jenkins | Stepaniak (20)
OC – Myers (21)
RG – Patrick | Ronyan (23)
RT – Turner | Newman (25)

DL – Clark | Lowry | Keke | Slaton | Harrison (FA Signing) (30)
EDGE – Z. Smith | P. Smith | Gary | Kemp | Ramsey (35)
LB – Martin | Barnes | McDuffie | Summers (39)
CB – Alexander | King | Surtain Jr. | Stokes | Jean-Charles | Hollman (45)
S – Savage | Amos | Scott | Black | Uphoff (50)

K – Crosby (51)
P – Scott (52)
TE – Bradley (53)

Notable Releases:
DL Tyler Lancaster
LB Oren Burks
LB Jonathan Garvin
CB Josh Jackson
CB KeiVare Russell

Edited by dust247

1 hour ago, dust247 said:

Here’s my scenario:

Den Gets:
QB Aaron Rodgers
WR Davante Adams
TE Robert Tonyan
CB Chandon Sullivan*

GB Gets:
2022 1st Round Pick
2022 3rd Round Pick
2023 1st Round Pick
2023 3rd Round Pick
WR Jerry Jeudy
TE Noah Fant
CB Patrick Surtain Jr

Note that Sullivan doesn’t bring any value to the trade, other than freeing up a roster spot for GB and giving Denver some training camp depth. Tonyan and Adams provide some familiarity to Rodgers, while freeing up future CAP space for the Packers by not offering them extensions. Tonyan and Adams are both free agents at the end of 2021 and are unlikely to re-sign due to the limited CAP space. Adams would likely need to sign an extension with Denver in this scenario to complete this trade, or at least to make it more appealing for Denver. Other than the WRs (EQ, MVS, and Funchess), there are no major pending free agents going into 2022 for the Packers.

Looking towards the future:

Spotrac has the salary cap in 2022 @ $192.5M, which GB is currently $33M over before the Rodgers trade. Trading Rodgers costs us $17.2M vs the 2022 CAP in dead money (Saving Green Bay $22.6M).

I expect the CAP to at least match what it was in 2020 ($198.2M) even though Spotrac is @ $192M. After I make that adjustment to $198.2M, that would put the Packers roughly $6M over the CAP without factoring in the contracts we take on from Denver. Their contracts would be Jeudy $4.1M, Noah Fant $4.0M, and Patrick Surtain $3.4M(?). After adding their contracts $11.5M + $6M (what GB would be over) = $17.5M over my projected CAP of $198.2M. To make this work we would need the CAP to go over $215M, or simply release Preston Smith (Saving $12.5M) and Dean Lowry ($5.8M). GB releases Smith and Lowry following the 2021 season.

There would be some rollover CAP from 2021 following the trade of Adams, Rodgers, and Tonyan. We would also need to sign a QB for 2021 (who I would project to be Blake Bortles for the sake of time).

Going into 2022 we would need to figure out our WR situation, as well as a replacement for Preston Smith. To free up more CAP space and to cover the future, Zadarius Smith and Jaire Alexander would both be signed to contact extensions going into the 2022 season

Back to this season...

My 2021 projected roster:

QB – Love| Bortles (2)
RB – Jones | Dillon | Hill (5)
FB – Deguara (6)
WR – Jeudy | Funches | MVS | Lazard | Rodgers | St. Brown (12)
TE – Fant | Lewis | Sternberger | Dafney (16)
LT – Bakhtiari| Nijman (18)
LG – Jenkins | Stepaniak (20)
OC – Myers (21)
RG – Patrick | Ronyan (23)
RT – Turner | Newman (25)

DL – Clark | Lowry | Keke | Slaton | Harrison (FA Signing) (30)
EDGE – Z. Smith | P. Smith | Gary | Kemp | Ramsey (35)
LB – Martin | Barnes | McDuffie | Summers (39)
CB – Alexander | King | Surtain Jr. | Stokes | Jean-Charles | Hollman (45)
S – Savage | Amos | Scott | Black | Uphoff (50)

K – Crosby (51)
P – Scott (52)
TE – Bradley (53)

Notable Releases:
DL Tyler Lancaster
LB Oren Burks
LB Jonathan Garvin
CB Josh Jackson
CB KeiVare Russell

Bortles!

giphy.gif?cid=5e214886ezug788f782nd6amna

• Like 1

15 hours ago, incognito_man said:

Then you probably won't get someone like Aaron Rodgers, I suppose.

If traded Aaron Rodgers needs to actually want to go to Washington. Nothing indicated thus far is that he'll be interested in WAS. Given that WAS doesn't even submit an actual offer

5 hours ago, CriminalMind said:

If traded Aaron Rodgers needs to actually want to go to Washington. Nothing indicated thus far is that he'll be interested in WAS. Given that WAS doesn't even submit an actual offer

I don't think anyone has actually submitted an actual offer.

4 minutes ago, spilltray said:

The best weapon you can give a QB is time, and the OL has been pretty good in that regard Rodgers entire career.

To me the Seahawks, which are local to me, are a great comparison. They have done well drafting offensive talent (Metcalf) and their D has generally been pretty stout but their O-line is enough of a mess that even a QB like Wilson, who is very mobile, struggles to find space and time.

11 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

There's not going to be any offers or trades this year ... he's already laying the ground work for a GB return.

I actually think there is much truth in this.  Especially so after listening to James Jones, AJ Hawk, and John Kuhn.

There doesn't seem to be any truth in Rodg demanding Gute's head.  It doesn't sound like money was the issue.  It sounds like Rodg wants to pin the team to a timeline contract wise.  Still unknown if he's asking for more insight in regards to draft picks and FA.   Insight in a small way may be one thing, you never give any player front office direction.

In no way should the team bury themselves in a contract they can't get out of long term.  Not with a soon to be 38 year old QB making gobs of money dripping in bling.  He has a contract presently, that can be sweetened but please Gutey don't bury us.

Edited by 15412
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, dust247 said:

Not to get into the details of the trade and if it is realistic and one I would or would not do etc. but just to note/reference there would be significant cap rolled over from 2021, which in part makes Sullivan of significant value for GB to trade from a salary perspective, if you did this trade: Rodgers 16M + Adams 13.1M + Tonyan 3.384M + Sullivan 2.133M - Jeudy 1.3M - Fant 1.6M - Surtain 3.7M would instantly give us 28M and some change for 2021 that we would likely roll over, less like you said the veteran quarterback signed. 

You only need to factor in the base salary for Jeudy and Fant as their rookie contract signing bonuses would stay with Denver as dead cap. 

21 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

I think most of the board is level headed on Gute's moves for the most part. Some may want more money kicked down the road to splurge now. Some are on the more conservative side. I mean I like both ways, but both have consequences. I mean look at Denver since Manning left they have been a mess and they kicked the can down the road and went all in. Tampa the jury is still out. When TB walks away eventually how will they fair as they have gone all in. 

GB stays conservative each year not kicking the can to far down the road but it sometimes is missing that one little piece to get them over the hump. As a fan that hurts too as you know that one play here and there can be the difference. 

That is why FO guys have heart issues and also get paid way more then us:)