A-Rod's New team (if traded), what can Packers get in trade?

firstplace

17 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Yeah ... not sure I agree with you here.  Public sentiment isn't exactly going against Murphy and Gute at this point.  As the season draws closer the heat will build, but they can always say that Aaron is under contract for three more years and that he's rejected offers to make him much more highly paid.  The ball is definitely in Rodgers court and if he takes it and goes home fans will turn on him.

Hope you are correct, just don't think that is how it works out. Fans talk tough now while he is still a Packer, but if he leaves they will turn on management in a heartbeat and want scapegoats to pay for him being gone. National media will butcher the Packers, local media will follow suit because it is the easy and lazy take to have. And the mostly uneducated fanbase after being bombarded with anti management reporting will demand someone be held accountable. 

That is why the Packers are in complete kiss *** mode and probably will give Dunn and Rodgers anything they want.     

3 minutes ago, R T said:

Hope you are correct, just don't think that is how it works out. Fans talk tough now while he is still a Packer, but if he leaves they will turn on management in a heartbeat and want scapegoats to pay for him being gone. National media will butcher the Packers, local media will follow suit because it is the easy and lazy take to have. And the mostly uneducated fanbase after being bombarded with anti management reporting will demand someone be held accountable. 

That is why the Packers are in complete kiss *** mode and probably will give Dunn and Rodgers anything they want.     

I think the *** kiss mode is to win the battle of public opinion.  The key players (Gute, Murphy, and LaFleur) are all on the record and appear to be taking steps to rectify the situation, while Aaron says nothing and only speaks thru surrogates.  

3 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I think the *** kiss mode is to win the battle of public opinion.  The key players (Gute, Murphy, and LaFleur) are all on the record and appear to be taking steps to rectify the situation, while Aaron says nothing and only speaks thru surrogates.  

What exactly are the Packers trying to 'rectify'?

Y'all are more optimistic than me with this king's ransom or he has to play. If you can't get the king's ransom, this isn't Madden. You probably are not getting MVP Rodgers. You're probably getting a nightmare. 

Edit: going off the assumption he truly isn't very upset, which I'm not saying he is for sure either.

Edited by Norm

8 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Appeasing an under contract star QB that is apparently holding out for reasons that he is yet to address.

I think most of the world knows the reason he has yet to address without him addressing it. 

The one guy that should give hope to those that want a hardline taken with this situation and that guy is Russ Ball. If he has had an equal voice from the start on this, then there is a chance the Packers call Rodgers bluff. If not, the Packers are laydowns.  

1 minute ago, Norm said:

Y'all are more optimistic than me with this king's ransom or he has to play. If you can't get the king's ransom, this isn't Madden. You probably are not getting MVP Rodgers. You're probably getting a nightmare. 

I'm not so sure there. The way Rodgers plays with a chip, he could have another MVP caliber season out of spite.

Plus assuming Love does probably need one more non covid year of seasoning, I'd rather take that chance than throwing him to the wolves and getting poor value from a Rodgers trade. You expect the picks to be late from whoever you deal with, so I really don't think 3 1s and a promising player on their rookie deal is out of line.

57 minutes ago, spilltray said:

I'm not so sure there. The way Rodgers plays with a chip, he could have another MVP caliber season out of spite.

Plus assuming Love does probably need one more non covid year of seasoning, I'd rather take that chance than throwing him to the wolves and getting poor value from a Rodgers trade. You expect the picks to be late from whoever you deal with, so I really don't think 3 1s and a promising player on their rookie deal is out of line.

I hope you're right. I'm still sensing disaster

4 hours ago, Norm said:

Edit: going off the assumption he truly isn't very upset, which I'm not saying he is for sure either.

Ok lets look at it another way.

Our salary cap is 2022 is horrendous. Lets say we trade Rodgers post June so we take an 18m cap hit next year. We probably lose Adams and maybe have to cut Z because we are paying Rodgers. Its nuts, we are ruining our team to pay the best QB in the league to play for someone else.

That can't happen unless its a kings ransom.

We aren't blackmailing him or threatening him or any of those things. Just explain to him we've paid him a bonus to cover 4 years and there's no way from sporting perspective he can play for a year and run with the money. If there was no salary cap maybe you can but there is so letting him run off with 30m for nothing has serious sporting implications.

Honestly if its allowed and he paid it all back with no cap implications for us then I'd be OK letting him move for a decent 1st round pick if its what he wants. Otherwise its a king ransom or no trade.

19 minutes ago, mikemike778 said:

Our salary cap is 2022 is horrendous. Lets say we trade Rodgers post June so we take an 18m cap hit next year. We probably lose Adams and maybe have to cut Z because we are paying Rodgers. Its nuts, we are ruining our team to pay the best QB in the league to play for someone else.

how can we simultaneously trade Rodgers but pay him?

We save $22million if we move on from Rodgers in 2022.

We will save $5.8 million moving on from Lowry.

We will save $12 million moving on from Preston Smith.

We will almost certainly extend Z Smith and likely save $10-$15 million on 2022 cap space

These moves give us an additional $50 million in cap space next year and should put us about $30 million under the 2022 projected cap

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Norm said:

I hope you're right. I'm still sensing disaster

I think getting 3 firsts is realistic. However, I'm with you that we will get much less than that for a simple reason. Even if Gute trades Rodgers, he will try to grant his wish to send him wherever he wants to go (as long as it's an AFC team) and that will mean that only 1-2 teams will be competing for him. We'll get 2 firsts tops.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, VonKarman said:

I think getting 3 firsts is realistic. However, I'm with you that we will get much less than that for a simple reason. Even if Gute trades Rodgers, he will try to grant his wish to send him wherever he wants to go (as long as it's an AFC team) and that will mean that only 1-2 teams will be competing for him. We'll get 2 firsts tops.

If he gets shipped out it's going to be the Broncos and Raiders fighting it out for his services.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, VonKarman said:

That's my guess. too. It may not even be on par with what Detroit got for Stafford. If this guess is correct, then it would explain why the Packers FO anxiously wants Rodgers back. If he won't reconcile, then he's going for a lot less than he's worth, which will make the Packers FO look very bad. 

15 hours ago, VonKarman said:

Someone gets it here. 

There is no legit bidding war if GB decides to trade Rodgers. Its 1-2 teams only, and then Rodgers letting 1 of the 2 teams know he prefers not to play for them. Then yuh have one team with a 1st, 2nd and future 2nd offer on the table with a deadline date. 

The situation is no where comparable to Stafford.