Lions TE Josh Hill retiring

RaidersAreOne

Just now, Louis Friend said:

Simu Liu Reaction GIF by Kim's Convenience

Probably got up there and realized his heart wasn’t in it like he thought. IIRC he’s had a couple concussions and ankle and shoulder issues, he’s probably getting tired of the grind.

1 minute ago, NudeTayne said:

The fact that most of us will have to Google this guy even though he's been in the league for eight years tells you all you need to know.

That fans don’t keep tabs on other teams blocking TEs?

17 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

Yeah, I'd hate to make millions of dollars playing in the NFL. 

Sign me up but seriously his season career highs are 226 yards and only 3 TDs. It isn’t like the Lions missed out on a lot?

Edited by Blackstar12

Just now, Blackstar12 said:

Sign me up but seriously his season career highs are 300 yards and only 3 TDs. It isn’t like the Lions missed out on a lot?

Lions have TJ Hockenson as their receiving TE. They signed Josh Hill to replace Jesse James as their blocking TE. Now with Hill retiring, they are reportedly bringing back Darren Fells. Neither move pushes the needle much, especially for a rebuilding team. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

Yeah, I'd hate to make millions of dollars playing in the NFL. 

well, not exactly:

Josh Hill signed a 1 year, $1,212,500 contract with the Detroit Lions, including a $137,500 signing bonus, $987,500 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $1,212,500.

I mean, I get your point but like others have said the guy has had numerous injuries, is a pretty unknown blocking TE who went from the Saints to, no offense, the Lions.

1 minute ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

well, not exactly:

I mean, I get your point but like others have said the guy has had numerous injuries, is a pretty unknown blocking TE who went from the Saints to, no offense, the Lions.

What does going to the Lions have to do with it though? Either he's retiring due to injuries, which should have stopped him from signing with any team this offseason, or he's retiring to not play for the Lions (as some have suggested) after being a UFA a few months ago, having the opportunity to play for any team of his chosing, and never playing a snap. 

Just now, Louis Friend said:

What does going to the Lions have to do with it though? Either he's retiring due to injuries, which should have stopped him from signing with any team this offseason, or he's retiring to not play for the Lions (as some have suggested) after being a UFA a few months ago, having the opportunity to play for any team of his chosing, and never playing a snap. 

The best guess of anyone here, without first-hand knowledge, seems to be that a guy who has suffered a decent amount of injuries didn't feel it was ultimately worth it to go through that grind for a new team that's rebuilding and has a very bad history of success for, in comparison to other NFL contracts, not a lot of money.

And let's be honest here, when you're a free agent, you don't get to play for "any team of your choosing", because the desire has to be mutual. Guys generally go where they will either make the most money or have the best chance at a Superbowl.