Broncos T Ja'Wuan James tears Achilles; Out for season

RaidersAreOne

20 minutes ago, lomaxgrUK said:

Yeesh.

If we ignore circumstance, this has to be one of the worst Bronco FA signings ever, no?

He's earned a fortune and played like 2 games. 

We're probably going to get out of the 2021 10M hit, and James opted out of last year's 10M on his own and got 500K - so in practice, it's actually going to be a bad outcome, but the injury happening off-site is likely only putting Denver on the hook for 17.5M total - 12M bonus, and 3M 2019 salary, and 500K 2020 opt-out.

Still bad, but ironically the opt-out likely saved 19.5M - because Achilles injuries are a wear and tear injury, this was coming sooner or later.  It just so happened it came off-field and off-facilities.

If anything, the 10M returned likely means Paton can explore the FA market if he's interested.   Awful timing in that I suspect Paton may have explored RT a little more vigorously in the draft, had this happened.    Ironically, the T's available are more LT's (Okung, Leno) - although if he's super cheap, wonder if they chase a CHI connection on RT Jason Spriggs.   

I do think this puts Risner to RT as even more viable.  Certainly the spotlight goes to Calvin Anderson as well.

P.S.  @Scoundrel - if you want to merge the 2 threads, much appreciated lol.

Edited by Broncofan

57 minutes ago, Cutler06 said:

Was thinking about Mr James' future, with the history he created here in Denver (and also MIA), will he ever get more than a veteran minimum offer down the road ?

Forget about his injury history pre-Achilles - Achilles tears are career enders at that age for positions where agility is required, unless you're an athletic freak (like Steve Smith Jr., or even Manny Sanders).   Nothing in James' profile says he fits the same profile. 

If James was an interior OL, I'd be more optimistic.  But given his age, even without his prior injuries, it would be a long climb back.  There's zero chance IMO he gets anything but the vet min look next year, given the risk.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Broncofan said:

Forget about his injury history pre-Achilles - Achilles tears are career enders at that age for positions where agility is required, unless you're an athletic freak (like Steve Smith Jr., or even Manny Sanders).   Nothing in James' profile says he fits the same profile. 

If James was an interior OL, I'd be more optimistic.  But given his age, even without his prior injuries, it would be a long climb back.  There's zero chance IMO he gets anything but the vet min look next year, given the risk.

Dude is done...and my guess is that he probably doesn't care.  

39 minutes ago, jsthomp2007 said:

Dude is done...and my guess is that he probably doesn't care.  

Well, he's only 28 and already made $35 million. Unless he's been incredibly stupid he's set for life financially.

Can't say this is James' replacement but Broncos just signed 24yo T Ryan Pope (6'7"/320lbs). Haven't heard much (if anything) about this guy, could just be more depth but let's see what MM can do with him. From who we've interviewed, thought Kelly would be the one signed perhaps we're still building according to Paton.

3 minutes ago, Cutler06 said:

Can't say this is James' replacement but Broncos just signed 24yo T Ryan Pope (6'7"/320lbs). Haven't heard much (if anything) about this guy, could just be more depth but let's see what MM can do with him. From who we've interviewed, thought Kelly would be the one signed perhaps we're still building according to Paton.

We signed pope and still brought a bunch of vets in for a workout so I'm guessing they aren't done addressing tackle. Doesn't hurt to bring in guys to develop when you have a great oline coach. Honestly, James getting hurt now is way better than during camp or the season. Can't lose what you never really had and gives other capable guys reps .

1 hour ago, Cutler06 said:

Naw, he's a serious project. At this point just camp fodder. Out side of his size he hasn't got much going for him according to multiple reviews.

1 hour ago, thebestever6 said:

We signed pope and still brought a bunch of vets in for a workout so I'm guessing they aren't done addressing tackle. Doesn't hurt to bring in guys to develop when you have a great oline coach. Honestly, James getting hurt now is way better than during camp or the season. Can't lose what you never really had and gives other capable guys reps .

Actually, I'd like to see Dotson back. He was by far the best RT we had last year. probably the best UFA RT on the market also.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, AKRNA said:

In other OL news I just saw on the Bronco's site that Meinerz is penciled in at center. The Cush experiment may be coming to an end.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.espn.com/blog/denver-broncos/post/_/id/37559/why-broncos-rookie-center-lloyd-cushenberry-iii-has-played-every-snap-this-season%3fplatform=amp.

I just don't see us giving up on Lloyd I mean Shurmer was glowing about him by the end of the season.

• Like 1