RT Juwan James tears Achilles

Posted (edited)
51 minutes ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

Assuming he doesn’t get any of the $10m base salary this year? $272,222.22 per snap

Assuming NFLPA gets him the full amount? $430,952.38 per snap

I’m…I’m gonna go grab a drink now

That's gotta be some kind of record...

Edited by Joe_is_the_best

Let’s not underestimate how important this injury could be in our pursuit of Rodgers. Is he now less willing to push for Denver as a primary destination given our questionable RT situation is now in complete shambles? If I’m Paton, I’ve been on the phone with Rick Wagner’s and Bobby Massie’s agents all day. 

I hope he doesn't receive a penny and is cut immediately. 

Such a wuss and another tarzan than plays like Jane. Quit during flu season and when he was getting hang nails on his pinky toe. He has all that time to get in shape and tears his achilles. He's made of glass and evidently doesn't take care of himself in the offseason.

Good riddance. Get Leno or Fisher or Wagner.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

63 snaps for the Broncos 

$12m signing bonus

$5m base salary for year 1

$150k to hide from covid 

Assuming he doesn’t get any of the $10m base salary this year? $272,222.22 per snap

Assuming NFLPA gets him the full amount? $430,952.38 per snap

I’m…I’m gonna go grab a drink now

Haha that might end up being the worst signing I’ve ever seen from a return investment standpoint. 

Posted (edited)

I’d assume Anderson is going to man the RT spot and we’ll pick up training camp cuts to fill in the back end of our OT spot. No doubt it’s a huge question mark now and if Bolles happens to miss any time, it’s going to get real dicey. I hope we don’t move Risner from his LG spot and force him to learn a brand new position (in the NFL) but it might be completely necessary...

Dotson seemed to play pretty well last year, I wonder if we bring him back.

Edited by grizmo78
  • Like 1
Posted (edited)

Remember - there were red flags about James before the Broncos signed him and Elway went ahead and gave him a huge contract anyway. Don't blame James for the contract - that was all on Elway.

While it is understandable given his history - it is wrong for people to question the motives why James opted out last season because of covid. Dozens of NFL player took the option of opting out and few, if any, attract the ridicule that James received. Furthermore, it is clear that the previous season the Broncos mishandled his injury which resulted in him missing the season. The fact that the Broncos didn't take an OT in the draft suggests that everything was in place for James to return to the starting line-up this season - and he would have been a major upgrade if he had.

I feel sorry for the guy now that he had injured himself. He had the opportunity to play his way into another contract (though probably not with the Broncos).

Now - given the lack of playing time and the fact that he has already received $11million - I suspect that the Broncos will look to void this year's part of the contract at least. He still has guaranteed money for next season and (given that he wasn't a Paton signing) the Broncos may agree to pay the remaining $3million guaranteed from his contract from next season in order to get him off the books - that will be a $6million cap hit rather than $13million that he was costing this year.

Edited by jolly red giant

Get him off the roster and void all remaining guarantees, IMO.

He was reportedly a nuisance in 2019 and then quit on the team last year. That’s not a guy we want to waste money on. Frankly we’d have already cut him if it wasn’t for his guarantees, so any opportunity to void those and run this punk out of town should be taken up.

I’d bring in a veteran to start at RT. Anderson is still best as a swing man. 

I don’t feel bad for him at all. I have no issues questioning his motives either. He’s paid (a —— ton of money) to provide entertainment. Entertain me.

In fact as we’ve pointed out he’s been paid more per snap than I made last year. I worked 70-80 hours a week dealing with COVID and death. Know what I could have used? The distraction of sport. The thing he was paid to provide.

• Like 4
10 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

What do the OL experts here think - @AKRNA, @broncos_fan _from _uk, the others, about Risner (or someone else) moving to RT? 

Seems like we have a lot of depth inside and some flexibility. But I’d love to hear from our forum experts. 

I think risner will do very well at RT. He’s got the arm length and base for the position. His issue was always his feet aren’t the fastest. He would be exposed at LT (or even RT if consistently left on an island) but playing next to Glasgow would benefit him. He’s a player (like most) who excelled with consistency and having a 2 players on either side who would double team inconsistently (Boles because he was mirroring his rusher as he should, Cush because he was often confused) left Riser out to dry in all 3 games I got to see last year. 

TLDR: assuming we don’t go all Air Raid with 5 wide every snap he should do well

Bad injury, worse timing. Feel for the guy injury wise, don't really feel too bad contract wise. 

It will be interesting to see what happens though. From what I read, James was working out at the team facility prior to the decision by the NFLPA to push players not to work out on site for COVID reasons. Would have to think James has a legitimate gripe with the union, not with the Broncos. I wonder if Denver still considers paying him? I kind of doubt it, but I can't help but think if it were a better/more liked player, we probably would (i.e Von).

Like I said, will be interesting to see what Denver does, at least from an org perception standpoint. I don't think we should pay him given the contract terms, but Denver had a perception issue with players/agents for some time...

FWIW - Albright is saying there is no chance of Risner going to RT.

Have to assume it's going to be Anderson vs a vet. You have all mentioned the names being thrown out - Dotson, Massie, Leno, Wagner, etc. None are particularly great.

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, lomaxgrUK said:

FWIW - Albright is saying there is no chance of Risner going to RT.

Have to assume it's going to be Anderson vs a vet. You have all mentioned the names being thrown out - Dotson, Massie, Leno, Wagner, etc. None are particularly great.

Well, there are also TC fodder that's gonna be available, not sure that's such an enticing venue as well, but what comfort did anyone have with James being on the field the whole season anyway ?

Apparently we have Dennis Kelly coming in for a visit next week. He filled in at tackle for the Titans last year and apparently played well but was a cap cut.