Best Offseason

onejayhawk

This thread is nudged forward by the following article. It purports to be the five best offseason moves and some of them really are nice. I particularly like the Jets acquiring Carl Lawson. To put that in perspective, imagine the Chiefs with both a new OL and Lawson or Yannick Ngakoue, which is the next name on the list. 
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2939243-ranking-the-5-best-moves-of-the-2021-nfl-offseason

Add to this the recent draft. The Jets may not have the best draft, but they do have a contender. The LA Chargers made several nice pre-draft moves and they may actually have the very best draft. I already mentioned the Chiefs and their new OL, but don't forget Jarren Reed. Denver is looking very much like the new home of Dread Pirate Rodgers, on top of their own very nice draft. That division is turning wicked. There is the Cleveland Browns to consider, and so on.

In sum, what team did the best job since the end of the last season?
Is this the same team which acquired the most talent?
Which teams are another year older and deeper in suck?

I think the Dolphins absolutely killed it and I expect them to be right in the thick of it with the Bills come the last 2-3 weeks of the season. Could see the schedule makers thinking the same and having that as one of the week 18 matchups this year

• Like 1

Without thinking too closely, I'll say Bucs, Rams, Browns, and Dolphins had the best offseasons

Dolphins and Browns have excellent rosters, and their success will be 100% on whether their QBs can hold up

Bucs didn't add a thing, but simply retaining their roster was a win for them

Rams with a nice QB upgrade on a team that was already strong

15 minutes ago, Tk3 said:

Without thinking too closely, I'll say Bucs, Rams, Browns, and Dolphins had the best offseasons

Dolphins and Browns have excellent rosters, and their success will be 100% on whether their QBs can hold up

I'd echo these sentiments, and don't think I have much to add. 

Dolphins  offseason is a bit overrated. I think their draft was overrated like last years was. For all the picks they had, they kinda underwhelmed with selections. Waddle is a injury prone speedster, like how Ruggs was selected over better WRs last year, he will be outproduced by better WRs that he got selected over.  Phillips is talented but has concussion issues, that is pretty alarming to have issues already at 21 years old. They added a injury prone WR in Fuller. I'm not a fan of Tua, I think he is pretty average. The roster looks good on paper and they did good last year, Flores is a good coach.

Bucs and Chiefs though, the Chiefs turned their OL around. Those 2 are definitely the favorites right now. 

31 minutes ago, CP3MVP said:

The Bucs won the offseason 2 years in a row. I don’t think that has ever happened 

Not sure they really won if you are the same exact team you were the previous year, plus a few draft picks who probably wont start. I think there are teams out there who significantly improved their teams from last year with new players/draft picks.  

i.e. The Chiefs OL may be better than last year, and the Browns defense is significantly better than last year.

Edited by MSURacerDT55

38 minutes ago, NYJets4716 said:

Waddle is a injury prone speedster, like how Ruggs was selected over better WRs last year, he will be outproduced by better WRs that he got selected over

maybe Waddle will be out-produced by guys drafted later but Waddle was the clearcut best WR in this draft when healthy if you ask me. Ruggs is nothing compared to Waddle. I agree with you that the Dolphins off season/draft specifically was overrated last year and so far a little this year. However, I think they drafted better last week than they did last year.

I think the AFC East is up for grabd and the has the most long term competition, talent, and overall competency that it has had in the last two+ decades.

The Jags...pretty easily in my opinion. Got the best QB prospect that I’ve seen since Peyton. Everything else is honestly lagniappe. The Bucs aren’t going to be better than last year because Brady is a year older. The Dolphins can surround Tua with the best team in existence...they still have Tua. 

1 hour ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Not sure they really won if you are the same exact team you were the previous year, plus a few draft picks who probably wont start. I think there are teams out there who significantly improved their teams from last year with new players/draft picks.  

i.e. The Chiefs OL may be better than last year, and the Browns defense is significantly better than last year.

If the Chiefs' OL is not significantly better than last year, it's a fail. The whole line should be new. Thuney, Brown and Long are FA, Niang is a COVID opt out and Humphrey is a draft pick. The only one not near certain to be an upgrade is Niang, because Schwartz was a beast. They are bigger and more athletic.

The Browns had a solid predraft offseason, but the draft seals it. It will be a week before their name comes up in GFW's annual recap. Newsome and J O-K add a ton, but don't sleep on Togiai. 

2 hours ago, Tk3 said:

I am not as thrilled with TB as many. Successfully staying in place is not easy, but I don't see them as better than 2020. Miami and Cleveland now have paper teams to compete. Will their culture let them? That's what Tom Brady and Gronk brought to the Bucs, much more than their on-field contributions.

I don't get the Rams in this conversation. Why not the other team in LA?

Edited by onejayhawk
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, NYJets4716 said:

Dolphins  offseason is a bit overrated. I think their draft was overrated like last years was. For all the picks they had, they kinda underwhelmed with selections. Waddle is a injury prone speedster, like how Ruggs was selected over better WRs last year, he will be outproduced by better WRs that he got selected over.  Phillips is talented but has concussion issues, that is pretty alarming to have issues already at 21 years old. They added a injury prone WR in Fuller. I'm not a fan of Tua, I think he is pretty average. The roster looks good on paper and they did good last year, Flores is a good coach.

Bucs and Chiefs though, the Chiefs turned their OL around. Those 2 are definitely the favorites right now. 

Somebody seriosuly has to explain the Waddle over Smith pick to me because I felt like that went under the radar horrible but nothing was made of it. Isnt Waddle a doppelganger of what they already have in Will Fuller? I really felt like Devonta Smith should have been the pick there. Not sure what they were thinking 

Edited by AkronsWitness