Best Offseason

onejayhawk

Just now, HolmesPriest said:

Would like to say Kansas City for getting a wicked OL for running the ball. But it will be all for not unless they actually call run plays more than 2 to 3 times a game lol. 🤣

Sidenote: How are you feeling about CEH?

....I really regret giving into the pundits who told me to take him over Dobbins in a dynasty league.

1 minute ago, AkronsWitness said:

Sidenote: How are you feeling about CEH?

....I really regret giving into the pundits who told me to take him over Dobbins in a dynasty league.

We have everything needed to blast teams with that ground and pound, it just a matter of will they actually do it. Sweeps, reverses, CEH Hill Hardman, could be great. I think CEH only a rb2 cause all the other players that could take snaps.

9 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Somebody seriosuly has to explain the Waddle over Smith pick to me because I felt like that went under the radar horrible but nothing was made of it.

You aren't the only one. Have you taken a look at what the Eagles gave up to get Smith. It was more than the Bears gave up to get Fields. 

6 minutes ago, HolmesPriest said:

Would like to say Kansas City for getting a wicked OL for running the ball. But it will be all for not unless they actually call run plays more than 2 to 3 times a game lol. 🤣

That da fack Jack. Both OT and RG will be significantly bigger and more physical. If they start Humphrey, more physical at C as well.

Don't overlook Noah Gray. They Chiefs have not used a lead blocker much the last few years, but it's an area Gray excels.

5 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Sidenote: How are you feeling about CEH?....I really regret giving into the pundits who told me to take him over Dobbins in a dynasty league.

Don't regret being right. It rarely ends well. CEH started well, then the injury bug hit the OL and ...

Stop me if you've heard this before. 

J

Edited by onejayhawk

For those pf you who say TB did not improve, hence they can’t be winner, it is taking this statement out of context. TB brought back a Super Bowl winning team. This team was clearly trending upward since week 13 last year. The chemistry is and will be better. Bringing back the band makes them strong contenders 

I agree with the topic. The Bucs keeping their team together was huge, especially since it didn't come at the cost of overpaying for past their prime big names or overpaid role players (aka Fournette, Brown) like past SB teams.

The Chiefs were very aggressive but they improved their oline in ways most didn't think possible with what they have. A good line + Mahomes is instant contention every year.

I love everything the Jets did in FA and the draft. Of all the rebuilding teams, they seem to be the one with the best execution/consistent approach to building a cohesive roster.

The Chargers adding Lindsey (a massive boon to help Herbert's development, and safety) and Slater was great as well.

On Miami, consider me underwhelmed by them as well. They are great at getting draft capital but I have been underwhelmed with their approach to the draft and team building in general, which seems to be almost exclusively drafting on upside. As opposed to the Jets, I don't really see a cohesive approach to team building outside of just shooting for talent. As always, I hope I'm wrong as I always root for more good players/teams, not fewer.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dalan162 said:

For those pf you who say TB did not improve, hence they can’t be winner, it is taking this statement out of context. TB brought back a Super Bowl winning team. This team was clearly trending upward since week 13 last year. The chemistry is and will be better. Bringing back the band makes them strong contenders 

After KC won the sb, they didn't bring back Lesean McCoy. Lost the next sb. The Bucs won the sb, they haven't brought back LeSean McCoy..... 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

Somebody seriosuly has to explain the Waddle over Smith pick to me because I felt like that went under the radar horrible but nothing was made of it. Isnt Waddle a doppelganger of what they already have in Will Fuller? I really felt like Devonta Smith should have been the pick there. Not sure what they were thinking 

Trent Dilfer was asked last year what's the #1 thing he'd do to help the Dolphins offense. His answer was adding Jaylen Waddle to help stretch the field vertically, which fits Tua's strengths. Smith isn't as sudden and isn't the playmaker that Waddle is.

Doppelganger? Fuller is much stronger and better pass-catcher than Waddle. He's also 2 inches taller. He's an experienced, and successful, outside receiver while Waddle has more experience in the slot. Miami needed a slot.

Their speed is what Miami coveted more than anything else. The belief is the run game will improve as teams can't stack the box on Miami anymore. DeVante Parker and Mike Gesicki are now freed up to make more plays.

4 hours ago, Teen Girl Squad said:

On Miami, consider me underwhelmed by them as well. They are great at getting draft capital but I have been underwhelmed with their approach to the draft and team building in general, which seems to be almost exclusively drafting on upside. As opposed to the Jets, I don't really see a cohesive approach to team building outside of just shooting for talent. As always, I hope I'm wrong as I always root for more good players/teams, not fewer.

Expound.

Last year and this year were the only look at what Miami would possibly do to build their team, the Jets just started to rebuild lol. Miami's moves last year paid dividends as they won 5 more games than the year before and were one game away from the playoffs.

They took three young OL who are all starting, a starting DT, starting safety in sub packages, and a starting QB in 2020. 

1 hour ago, Ajayii said:

Expound.

Last year and this year were the only look at what Miami would possibly do to build their team, the Jets just started to rebuild lol. Miami's moves last year paid dividends as they won 5 more games than the year before and were one game away from the playoffs.

They took three young OL who are all starting, a starting DT, starting safety in sub packages, and a starting QB in 2020. 

A lot of starters and none of them were really + players IMO. Now they are young, high upside and lacked a proper offseason. Of course if they hit it'll be amazing and every pick I liked from other teams could massively bust. I just personally did not like the players that they chose with all of the draft capital that they so smartly acquired. I think, like the Patriots of the past few years, that great coaching is pushing their recent success more than the talent/team building.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Teen Girl Squad said:

A lot of starters and none of them were really + players IMO. Now they are young, high upside and lacked a proper offseason. Of course if they hit it'll be amazing and every pick I liked from other teams could massively bust. I just personally did not like the players that they chose with all of the draft capital that they so smartly acquired. I think, like the Patriots of the past few years, that great coaching is pushing their recent success more than the talent/team building.

Like you said, no proper offseason to properly gauge last year's class. Regardless of how much capital they had, most teams dreams are to come away with a decent draft class which it seems like Miami is doing so far. "I have been underwhelmed with their approach to the draft and team building in general, which seems to be almost exclusively drafting on upside." Well that's what the draft is unless you're picking top 10 annually; there are rarely for-sure players after that. They bet on upside last year for sure, this year's class can play at a high level right away.

So your issue is that they are not acquiring enough + players and are instead relying on great coaching like NE? If it works, who cares. If the game slows down for Tua and he becomes a + player, nothing else will matter anyway. 

On 5/5/2021 at 3:56 PM, Teen Girl Squad said:

I agree with the topic. The Bucs keeping their team together was huge, especially since it didn't come at the cost of overpaying for past their prime big names or overpaid role players (aka Fournette, Brown) like past SB teams.

The Chiefs were very aggressive but they improved their oline in ways most didn't think possible with what they have. A good line + Mahomes is instant contention every year.

I love everything the Jets did in FA and the draft. Of all the rebuilding teams, they seem to be the one with the best execution/consistent approach to building a cohesive roster.

The Chargers adding Lindsey (a massive boon to help Herbert's development, and safety) and Slater was great as well.

On Miami, consider me underwhelmed by them as well. They are great at getting draft capital but I have been underwhelmed with their approach to the draft and team building in general, which seems to be almost exclusively drafting on upside. As opposed to the Jets, I don't really see a cohesive approach to team building outside of just shooting for talent. As always, I hope I'm wrong as I always root for more good players/teams, not fewer.

I disagree with most of your takes. Respectfully of course. 

I do kind of agree that the Jets have had a solid off season. As in I feel like they have gone about the approach the right way. The specific players though is where I disagree that it will result in a ton of improvements. Obviously that is the most subjective, and I could very easily be wrong and the Jets right. I think their biggest improvement will be from the leadership in terms of front office and coaching staff. That is one area where I think they are massively improved, and that without a doubt is a very important area where improvement can make a team that isn't full of elite talent play better than the sum of their parts. 

However when I look at their roster and what they have done, I have some serious doubts/questions. I know I am in the minority, but I just don't love Wilson as a QB prospect. He lacks in some areas that I regard very highly in a QB prospect. He played against poor competition. He only had one year of what I would classify as high level play. I think overall he's a QB prospect that hasn't shown great anticipation. Against the better competition he faced in his career he regularly struggled with his accuracy, he struggled feeling pressure, he showed a lack of great anticipation, and would fairly often go for a more hero ball approach instead of making the smart, sound decisions and keeping his team on schedule. I also think from a traits perspective he's got a good arm, but I don't think an elite one, his size is ok, he's athletic and can move around some and buy time with his feet, but he isn't a great athlete and won't have as much success running off script in the NFL because the speed of the competition is just so great. 

Wilson to me seems like the type of QB that could become the franchise QB he was drafted to be. But IMO if that happens it will be after a rough 2 or 3 years. And if you view him as the type of prospect I do (I had him quite clearly behind Lawrence and Fields, I then had Lance above him as a prospect but not a HUGE gap). I would like the Jets outlook a lot more had they taken Fields. I think his projection to the NFL is easier to predict. I think he will have more success early because he's more dynamic traits wise, has regularly seen better competition, and has played in a lot of big games. I think even with the improved coaching staff, they still lack a lot of offensive talent, and that isn't a great recipe combined with a QB that is making a big jump in competition and doesn't scream pro ready. I did like the importance they placed on protecting their new potential franchise QB and as much as I liked AVT as a prospect, I usually am not a huge fan of trading up for a guard. Beckton and AVT will help the OL become at least solid and could potentially be good in the not distant future. But their just isn't a lot there at the skill positions and outside of the aforementioned guys the OL isn't without question marks. 

If they feel Wilson is just that good of a prospect, I understand drafting him. I just didn't buy into the hype. He seemed more like a mid to late first round type QB prospect to me. Not the consensus #2 guy. I like Mims and his potential, I even think he can become a low end #1 WR or rock solid #2. But outside of him, the 2 guys on the OL, and some other role players, nobody on the offense screams elite player, sky high potential, etc. That isn't a situation that putting a QB prospect like Wilson in would be how I draw it up. I would have taken Fields and if I didn't believe he was worth the pick I would have rolled with Darnold another year and build up the rest of the roster on offense before trying to bring in the QB of the future. 

The defense I am much more confident in short term and long term. They have talent on that side. Some holes. But they also have a coaching staff that knows what good defense looks like and what is required. They won't be an elite unit, but the defense isn't terribly far off and can be a much easier fix to becoming great quickly. 

As far as the Dolphins I'll give my opinion on them in another post. 

• Like 2

The buccs keeping everyone is massive. 

The chiefs getting Orlando brown is also a great trade imo. They both seem like they could push for another superbowl. 

Homer pick. 

The browns getting jj3. He should be an awesome fit, as a player, leader and in the scheme. Another defensive play caller on a team that needed them 

On the subject of the Dolphins, I go the opposite way. I really really like what they are building. I like the philosophy they have been operating under, and I like the players that philosophy has led to them bringing in.

A lot of it may come back to how you feel about the QB, but I am not one of the people that has completely jumped off the Tua train. I thought his rookie year was fine. It wasn't great. But it wasn't as terrible as some make it out to be. Some highs, some lows. A lot like most rookie QBs. And when you factor in coming off such a unique and serious injury and not exactly overflowing with skill position talent and I think he played to a level the expectations should have realistically been at. I think this year he takes a clear step forward. I think he has very good touch and accuracy. In a way that is better than most prospects. Add really good mobility, escapability, a ton of experience playing in college footballs best conference, playing in big games, and all the reports of his leadership skills, I see a QB prospect that has all the tools. Injuries are obviously a very real concern, especially long term, but I don't like to speculate about that. 

Another aspect that makes me confident in the Dolphins and in Tua is I think they have smart people making decisions in a united way. They have a clear vision IMO and everyone is on the same page. Flores has shown me that he checks all the boxes necessary for a great head coach. I think he's a great leader, I think players believe in him, they like playing for him, and all that will be increased because it led to results immediately essentially. As much as I like the coaching upgrades the Jets made, its still a projection on the leadership ability, managing a team, motivating, etc. 

The Dolphins defense is set up next season and beyond to continue to play at a very high level. Which will only make Tua and the offenes job that much easier. I think they have a ton of talent, including some elite talent at premier positions like CB, I think Flores knows exactly what players he needs for his system, knows how to teach that system to the players, and gets the unit to play as one. Not to mention the tremendous upside their draft is bringing them on the defensive side of the ball. Miami was one of those teams in the unique situation to feel confident enough to take Phillips in the first because of all the ammo they have had/still have for the future. And I probably wouldn't have taken Phillips in the first for my team, but that is not because of talent. The injuries are a very real concern long term. But if he hits? They add a guy with the potential to be one of the best overall and most well rounded edges in the entire NFL. 

You add Holland in the second round, who was firmly a top 30 overall player on my board that would have been a first round lock had he played this last season and I think that's another guy with pro bowl potential they added to a DB unit that has already played at a very high level. Holland also brings so much versatility which has seemingly been a secret weapon for NE's defense forever and that Flores might have cracked the code of a BB discipline to transition to success themselves. Holland will provide them with a FS that has a lot of range, can make plays on the ball, has good instincts, and you can also throw him in at nickel and eventually he'll be able to do as good a job as almost anyone there. I love him as a prospect and his fit. Combined with what they have they can win with talent, win with good X's and O's, and throw a ton of different looks at you. I get it if you don't love the prospects they drafted, but I myself do. And I think Phillips and Holland are going to great situations where they won't have to be the savior, but instead can play on a defense with a good amount of surrounding talent under the eye of a coach that knows what he's doing. It makes the likelihood of them reaching their potential better than a lot of other prospects. 

The one thing I would say is they may have made a mistake trading back up to 6 before the draft. But when you consider what they gained and lost to end up where they did, it's still a positive overall and certainly not enough of a negative (if you feel it was) to say that's why I don't love their outlook and direction. I do think they made the move with the expectation that Pitts or Chase would be there. And when things ended up how they did they may have preferred to stay back at 12.. All that being said, Waddle is a pretty dang good consolation prize to ease the hurt lol. 

In terms of transition to the NFL game, I think Waddle is an easier projection than Smith (who I couldn't figure out enough to have a strong opinion love or hate wise). Smith might have the better upside to some. But Waddle just screams quality WR to me. He's a big play maker. He's got good size. Ridiculous speed. Is a big play maker with consistency most big play guys never come close to. On most college teams he's the go to, #1 pass catcher for the past 2 seasons. I think had he played somewhere else that afforded him more bulk opportunities a lot of people would have liked him even more. He has chemistry with Tua which will have at least some positive impact on both guys and their development IMO. And he fits a dimension that is a must have for the great offenses that they lacked last year. When you add that with Fuller who also does really well in that big play area, but now aren't dependent on Fuller and his injuries/suspension issues and you have the potential for some stupid highs, without the total crash if/when Fuller is out for a stretch. And I think all of that will do wonders to make guys already there like Parker to become more efficient and consistent. 

Miami to me has done a tremendous job of acquiring assets, they have shown a great model on how to rebuild a team, they hired smart guys, guys that formed a plan together, had a singular vision, and have made all their moves to fit that unified vision. I'm not saying they are a super bowl contender next year, but I think they're a 10+ game winner, with a lot of potential and upside long term that could absolutely lead to a super bowl window. I think their defense is an easy thing to look at and say that has the makings of a great unit with proven players right now, and high upside, versatile, young potential building blocks. And the offense isn't nearly as much as a sure thing right now, but with that defense it won't require as much as other teams. And with a guy like Tua who was at one point viewed as an elite QB prospect with a year of experience and a year removed from injury, with a great prospect he is familiar with added and another NFL proven big time play maker it's not a stretch to believe in their potential now and in the long term. 

If I am honest, the Dolphins and Bills are 2 teams I love what they have done and love their future outlook because of their talent and my belief in the guys they have running the show. I think its a dogfight between them for the division this year and for the immediate future. And my confidence in those 2 teams combined with my questions in regards to the Jets and the moves they have made make me have even more pause over those question marks. It's going to be really tough to rebuild a team that has struggled so long, with new, unproven guys at the top, desperately in need of talent when you play in a division with 2 teams that have among the brightest long term potential of any teams in the AFC.

• Like 2