Best Offseason

onejayhawk

1 hour ago, Dr A W Niloc said:

Their game in Buffalo might be the only one in which they are not favored.

Why would the Patriots be favored in the following games:

• vs. Saints
  • vs. Bucs
  • vs. Cowboys
  • at Chargers
  • vs. Browns
  • vs. Titans
  • at Bills
  • vs Bills

It's not their divisional games that are tough, it's actually the non-divisional games outside of Buffalo. Then you have teams like Miami which are also on-par if not better than the Patriots on paper and trending upwards.

1 hour ago, Dr A W Niloc said:

As for rookie QBs prohibiting a team from getting to the Super Bowl, what if New England's opponent is San Francisco?  It could happen.

So let me get this straight...the Patriots should be Superbowl favorites because they might face San Francisco in the Superbowl? What?

The Chiefs. Went from worst OL to best OL in the league and improved our cap situation long term. Satisfied with our draft as well.

Although the politicially uncortect answer is the LV Raiders  once they trade for Deshaun Watson 

26 minutes ago, Kirill said:

The Chiefs. Went from worst OL to best OL in the league and improved our cap situation long term. Satisfied with our draft as well.

Although the politicially uncortect answer is the LV Raiders  once they trade for Deshaun Watson 

Not saying you are wrong because I definitely don't know enough about their cap situation, but how exactly did they improve their long-term cap situation?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, iknowcool said:

Not saying you are wrong because I definitely don't know enough about their cap situation, but how exactly did they improve their long-term cap situation?

Orlando brown jr is playing on rookie deal still this year giving us increased flexibility to still make moves to help long term. We still had two 2nd rd picks and both of them will be day 1 starters and cheap for 5 years. Creed Humphrey looks like a borderline pro bowler day 1 as a center.

we also shed Watkins 14M salary and will be shedding Anthony Hitchins 11M salary in like a year or 2 no strings attached due to the recent 2nd rd picks of willie gay jr and nick Bolton.

also there’s a lot of buzz around RT Lucas Niang who sat out his rookie year for COVID and starts his contract this year. That’s a move that could pay dividends in a year or two if Niang is a serviceable RT we got him cheap for a few years. 

then there’s OG Trey Smith half the people had him as the steak of the draft. Veach left no bullets in the chamber this off-season, we got the best guard in the league, the best center prospect, a franchise LT in every sense. 

the only thing this team is lacking is a genuine #2 WR. All things considered that’s doable for now

Edited by Kirill

18 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Calling a team with Cam Newton and a rookie QB a "Superbowl favorite" is just flat out incorrect. Also, using stats from 2019 to support your argument for 2021? Yikes. Every team had opt-outs. Every team was hit by COVID and had to miss practices, or play games without most of their roster.

The reason the Patriots aren't a Superbowl contender honestly has nothing to do with 2020 and everything to do with the fact that their QB situation simply indicates that they aren't Superbowl favorites, much less Superbowl contenders.

The pats got hammered far more than most by opt outs ifi recall, and in some very important spots, so I can't agree that things were largely equal there. 

But yeah... with cam under center they're not going far even in the division I reckon. I don't think I've ever seen a QB fall of inthe way that he has, it's been almost kind of incredible (and sad) to watch. 

On 5/5/2021 at 12:50 PM, onejayhawk said:

If the Chiefs' OL is not significantly better than last year, it's a fail. The whole line should be new. Thuney, Brown and Long are FA, Niang is a COVID opt out and Humphrey is a draft pick. The only one not near certain to be an upgrade is Niang, because Schwartz was a beast. They are bigger and more athletic.

The Browns had a solid predraft offseason, but the draft seals it. It will be a week before their name comes up in GFW's annual recap. Newsome and J O-K add a ton, but don't sleep on Togiai. 

I am not as thrilled with TB as many. Successfully staying in place is not easy, but I don't see them as better than 2020. Miami and Cleveland now have paper teams to compete. Will their culture let them? That's what Tom Brady and Gronk brought to the Bucs, much more than their on-field contributions.

I don't get the Rams in this conversation. Why not the other team in LA?

The Rams really only upgraded one position - but we currently have the most improved QB situation (until we see the rookies play) in the league. 

And depending on where you look, we have the third best odds to win the Super Bowl, which illustrates the significance of that QB upgrade.

17 hours ago, FrantikRam said:

The Rams really only upgraded one position - but we currently have the most improved QB situation (until we see the rookies play) in the league. 

And depending on where you look, we have the third best odds to win the Super Bowl, which illustrates the significance of that QB upgrade.

Was Goff really that bad the last few years? I understand Stafford is a upgrade, but I always thought Goff was a borderline top 10-12 QB in the NFL.

I feel like this is a case of people overrating Stafford and underrating Goff. Some are acting like Goff was a bottom 5 QB

13 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

Was Goff really that bad the last few years? I understand Stafford is a upgrade, but I always thought Goff was a borderline top 10-12 QB in the NFL.

I feel like this is a case of people overrating Stafford and underrating Goff. Some are acting like Goff was a bottom 5 QB

He wasn't too far off last year.

He started the season pretty well but after that hot start he was definitely one of the worst starting QBs in the league.

You'll hear some Rams fans grumbling about the OL, but by any metric it was a top 10 unit. WRs had a ton of RAC. Running game was strong. Defense was great.

Taking away QB, we were probably the best team in the NFL last year. Tampa has an argument. But I think that's part of why he shipped Goff after only one or two bad seasons (depending on how you view his 2019 season) - had all the pieces in place except the QB, hence now having the third best odds to win the Super Bowl.

So from my perspective, any average QB would have been an upgrade last year because I think Goff was/is broken - getting an actual above average QB, give him the McVay boost, and if we pass enough I think Stafford will be in the MVP conversation.

On 5/18/2021 at 5:14 PM, AkronsWitness said:

He wasn't bad, but he had a glass ceiling. His turnovers were costly and worrisome. McVay felt he couldn't really open up the offense due to his limitations of pre-snap reads. Our offense was probably in the 10-15 range with him at the helm along with a #1 defense. With Stafford, our offense should be top 5 in scoring and defense could regress to a top 10, but that's a better recipe for a superbowl contender then the latter.

Also, Browns had the best offseason.