Best Offseason

onejayhawk

16 minutes ago, BStanRamFan said:

He wasn't bad, but he had a glass ceiling. His turnovers were costly and worrisome. McVay felt he couldn't really open up the offense due to his limitations of pre-snap reads. Our offense was probably in the 10-15 range with him at the helm along with a #1 defense. With Stafford, our offense should be top 5 in scoring and defense could regress to a top 10, but that's a better recipe for a superbowl contender then the latter.

Also, Browns had the best offseason. 

Goff played his worst football (bar his rookie season) as the defense played their best which is what I think caused the biggest frustration. He seemed to get worse over the season too. 

I still like Goff and think he's more than capable. The lack of a deep threat had a big impact on his game, which is on the Rams FO. It's not like he couldn't throw it long, he's shown on a lot of occasions that he can throw a beautiful ball. Ultimately, I think the way people talk about Stafford gives an indication to what he COULD be and McVay was all in. 

Lions did really well out if it. Goff is on a short leash now, though, so he needs to prove it. Same for Stafford, he's on the main stage now and anything other than near-perfect is going to leave him open to criticism. 

On 5/14/2021 at 9:38 PM, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Why would the Patriots be favored in the following games:

• vs. Saints - At home, haven't lost to them up here since 1995, different Saints team now. Toss-up, for me
  • vs. Bucs - We're not, no way. We'll lose this
  • vs. Cowboys - Cowboys far better on paper, but looked awful playing up here last time, and still questionable D. Toss-up, for me
  • at Chargers - beat them 45-0 away with a far worse team. They've improved. We should be slight favs, I'd say
  • vs. Browns - I think a loss. We barely beat them last time and we got several breaks
  • vs. Titans - They've regressed on paper, but again, I can't foresee a win
  • at Bills - Nope
  • vs Bills - We were very close with a far worse team, last minute fumble on a drive to win or tie, they destroyed us on ground and we've improved immensely there on paper 

There you go. I hate homerism and can't see any point in it, the above is my objective opinion. My prediction is something like 9 wins. Better team, easier schedule

Edited by Hunter2_1

On 5/15/2021 at 12:05 AM, Kirill said:

The Chiefs. Went from worst OL to best OL in the league and improved our cap situation long term. Satisfied with our draft as well.

Although the politicially uncortect answer is the LV Raiders  once they trade for Deshaun Watson 

Neither statement is true:

11. KANSAS CITY CHIEFS

Any time you can lose one of the best offensive linemen in the NFL for over half the season and keep your head above water as an offensive line, that’s not a bad result. That’s what we’ve seen from the Chiefs this season, with right tackle Mitchell Schwartz missing every game since Week 6 with a back injury. His replacement, Mike Remmers, has fared admirably in pass protection in his stead. Remmers’ pressure rate allowed of 4.4% this season would be his lowest mark at the tackle position since 2014.

The Chiefs’ offensive line can be made out to look worse than it is in pass protection because of the way Patrick Mahomes plays the position and the deeper drops he takes. In fact, a position-high 53 pressures were charged to Mahomes himself over the course of the regular season. It’s something that the Chiefs will gladly live with because of the plays that Mahomes can make and the way he avoids negative plays, but it’s something to keep in mind when evaluating the offensive line

7 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

They're both true. I've never seen anything close to an offensive line as bad as chiefs were last season. Unless that was the scheme just let 3 guys through to blitz Mahomes every other play to exploit the secondary. Mahomes just made chicken salad out of it.

And go check out creed Humphreys pro day. That's our starting center. Got a top 3 guard in the league joe Thuney next to Kyle Long or LDT. Orlando Brown is already talking smack saying nobody's going to touch Mahomes.... Yeah idk how great Orlando Brown will be but Im pretty sure he won't be any worse than Fisher. Then you got Trey Smith, Lucas Niang, Mike Remmers, Austin Blythe, Allegretti... All talented guys just fighting for a roster spot.

We might not statistically be the best but we'll be up there and we're one of the biggest and meanest and deepest as well. I like our group.

Edited by Kirill

2 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

There you go. I hate homerism and can't see any point in it, the above is my objective opinion. My prediction is something like 9 wins. Better team, easier schedule

I think the biggest question is the Saints game, since they'll be a completely different team and who knows how they're going to perform without Brees.

The other matchups straight up on paper should absolutely be Patriots not favored. It doesn't mean I expect them to get blown out, but if we're talking betting odds, I wouldn't bet on them to win any of those games.

3 hours ago, BStanRamFan said:

He wasn't bad, but he had a glass ceiling. His turnovers were costly and worrisome. McVay felt he couldn't really open up the offense due to his limitations of pre-snap reads. Our offense was probably in the 10-15 range with him at the helm along with a #1 defense. With Stafford, our offense should be top 5 in scoring and defense could regress to a top 10, but that's a better recipe for a superbowl contender then the latter.

Also, Browns had the best offseason. 

I get it but Stafford hasnt exactly been super elite each of the last 5 years. He has yet to throw over 29 TDs since 2015, they have identical INT%s and Goff actually has a higher career QBR than Stafford does. 

While I agree that Stafford is the better QB and system/players play a role, I think the cost they gave up for that upgrade was huge compared to the skill gap they gained.

12 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

I get it but Stafford hasnt exactly been super elite each of the last 5 years. He has yet to throw over 29 TDs since 2015, they have identical INT%s and Goff actually has a higher career QBR than Stafford does. 

While I agree that Stafford is the better QB and system/players play a role, I think the cost they gave up for that upgrade was huge compared to the skill gap they gained.

Ehh if Stafford is another level like they think he is, those picks are essentially a 2nd round value. Look what the Ramsey package ended up being. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Kirill said:

They're both true. I've never seen anything close to an offensive line as bad as chiefs were last season. Unless that was the scheme just let 3 guys through to blitz Mahomes every other play to exploit the secondary. Mahomes just made chicken salad out of it.

And go check out creed Humphreys pro day. That's our starting center. Got a top 3 guard in the league joe Thuney next to Kyle Long or LDT. Orlando Brown is already talking smack saying nobody's going to touch Mahomes.... Yeah idk how great Orlando Brown will be but Im pretty sure he won't be any worse than Fisher. Then you got Trey Smith, Lucas Niang, Mike Remmers, Austin Blythe, Allegretti... All talented guys just fighting for a roster spot.

We might not statistically be the best but we'll be up there and we're one of the biggest and meanest and deepest as well. I like our group.

The chiefs didn’t even have the worst offensive line in their division lol.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Kirill said:

You are talking about the SB. The Chiefs OL wasn't close to the worst in the league over the season.

On 5/15/2021 at 6:05 AM, Kirill said:

The Chiefs. Went from worst OL to best OL in the league and improved our cap situation long term. Satisfied with our draft as well.

Although the politicially uncortect answer is the LV Raiders  once they trade for Deshaun Watson 

Top 10 OL, maybe.

Best OL are the Browns for now. Patriots are next.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I think the biggest question is the Saints game, since they'll be a completely different team and who knows how they're going to perform without Brees.

The other matchups straight up on paper should absolutely be Patriots not favored. It doesn't mean I expect them to get blown out, but if we're talking betting odds, I wouldn't bet on them to win any of those games.

Pretty harsh all things considered, including games last year and given where the games will mostly be played. Bet the odds were pretty terrible in the Bal vs NE game last year too

23 hours ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Neither is given, but both may be true.

Not only were three starters missing from the game #1 lineup, it was the best three--LT Fisher, LG Osemele, RT Schwartz. The LG was hired off the street, a washed up Steve Wisniewski. The RG was playing out of position at RT and the backup RT playing at LT. Probably the best player on the OL was a G/C named Allegretti, the #216 pick in 2019. Allegretti is a decent player. You can win championships with him as the weak link, but it's likely every team in the league has at least one OL better than he is. There is a case to be made that the line had devolved to the worst in the league by the playoffs. 

As to the best, it's a harder case. The veterans are certainly good. Orlando Brown Jr and Joe Thuney will be the best left side in the NFL. RG will be between Kyle Long and Laurant Duverney-Tardiff. C will likely be touted draft pick Creed Humprey, with journeyman Austin Blythe in support. The jocker in the deck is RT Lucas Niang. Prior to the 2020 draft, he was considered late first round talentwise, but fell to late third round due to an injury. He opted out in 2020, basically redshirting, rehabbed and worked with a position coach. He should be very good, but we will need to see it on the field. 

That applies to the whole OL. They are substantially bigger, stronger, more physical, more athletic and younger then the OL the Chiefs won the Super Bowl with in 2020. This group can move people out. If you are looking for a fantasy RB, consider Clyde Edwards-Hellaire. He could be Brian Westbrook in this offense.

J

Edited by onejayhawk