Best Offseason

onejayhawk

On 5/22/2021 at 12:09 PM, onejayhawk said:

Neither is given, but both may be true.

Not only were three starters missing from the game #1 lineup, it was the best three--LT Fisher, LG Osemele, RT Schwartz. The LG was hired off the street, a washed up Steve Wisniewski. The RG was playing out of position at RT and the backup RT playing at LT. Probably the best player on the OL was a G/C named Allegretti, the #216 pick in 2019. Allegretti is a decent player. You can win championships with him as the weak link, but it's likely every team in the league has at least one OL better than he is. There is a case to be made that the line had devolved to the worst in the league by the playoffs. 

As to the best, it's a harder case. The veterans are certainly good. Orlando Brown Jr and Joe Thuney will be the best left side in the NFL. RG will be between Kyle Long and Laurant Duverney-Tardiff. C will likely be touted draft pick Creed Humprey, with journeyman Austin Blythe in support. The jocker in the deck is RT Lucas Niang. Prior to the 2020 draft, he was considered late first round talentwise, but fell to late third round due to an injury. He opted out in 2020, basically redshirting, rehabbed and worked with a position coach. He should be very good, but we will need to see it on the field. 

That applies to the whole OL. They are substantially bigger, stronger, more physical, more athletic and younger then the OL the Chiefs won the Super Bowl with in 2020. This group can move people out. If you are looking for a fantasy RB, consider Clyde Edwards-Hellaire. He could be Brian Westbrook in this offense.

J

The point is, they look good on paper. But until they play like that as a cohesive unit and prove it on a week to week basis, there is NO WAY you can just proclaim them as the best OL in the NFL when you have teams who've actually played together and returned as a unit. Plus you (fans) assume they are just going to play lights out, what if one or multiple guys either are busts or end up not being as good as advertised?

Thats all im saying

• Like 2

11 hours ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

The point is, they look good on paper. But until they play like that as a cohesive unit and prove it on a week to week basis, there is NO WAY you can just proclaim them as the best OL in the NFL when you have teams who've actually played together and returned as a unit. Plus you (fans) assume they are just going to play lights out, what if one or multiple guys either are busts or end up not being as good as advertised?

Thats all im saying

Fair enough. A homer like Kirill can say things like that and he's just being a homer. If it actually happens, he looks like a genius. 

My personal opinion is only a bit more restrained. I'm thinking top five if they stay healthy. Andy Heck has been making steak tartar out of hamburger for a while. We will  see what he can do with some prime grade. If they are going to be the best, then 2022 is the season to target. 

J

Just now, CWood21 said:

David Bakhtiari and Elgton Jenkins have something to say about that...

Potentially, yeah. Green Bay has always done well protecting Rodgers blind side.

The more interesting comparison is bookends. If Niang does what I think he is poised to do, the Chiefs could be in the discussion for best bookends. 

J

On 5/5/2021 at 10:29 AM, AkronsWitness said:

Somebody seriosuly has to explain the Waddle over Smith pick to me because I felt like that went under the radar horrible but nothing was made of it. Isnt Waddle a doppelganger of what they already have in Will Fuller? I really felt like Devonta Smith should have been the pick there. Not sure what they were thinking 

Waddle is a way more complete player than Will Fuller. 

• Like 1

On 5/22/2021 at 6:22 PM, Calamity_Cometh said:

I thought the Bucs would lose a couple starters but they didn't. Like at all. Not even routine roster turnover. Literally brought the band back.

agreed. Don't look like real winners because they didn't gain someone per se but they could be scary with more continuity. I personally have the Bucs have a top 5 offense of all time this year.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Waddle is a way more complete player than Will Fuller. 

I don't disagree, but I think Fuller is a lot more complete than what people give him credit for...

The only real knock on Fuller is health - he was on a strong pace prior to his suspension, really putting up numbers consistent with what you'd expect from a top tier target.

• Like 1

On 5/21/2021 at 12:39 PM, MSURacerDT55 said:

Neither statement is true:

Peter King agrees with half of the comment.

GM Brett Veach maneuvered the cap and signed/drafted/traded for a new offensive line (with the exception of returning tackle Mike Remmers). In Week 1, Orlando Brown/Joe Thuney/Austin Blythe/Kyle Long/Remmers should be a top 10 NFL offensive line—a vast improvement from number 32 at season’s end.
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/05/23/nfl-power-rankings-peter-king-fmia/

That, ie #32, is exactly the worst. Though top 10 is not the best, it's within striking distance. Clyde Edwards-Hellaire has a way of making OL look good.

J

1 hour ago, onejayhawk said:

Peter King agrees with half of the comment.

GM Brett Veach maneuvered the cap and signed/drafted/traded for a new offensive line (with the exception of returning tackle Mike Remmers). In Week 1, Orlando Brown/Joe Thuney/Austin Blythe/Kyle Long/Remmers should be a top 10 NFL offensive line—a vast improvement from number 32 at season’s end.
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/05/23/nfl-power-rankings-peter-king-fmia/

That, ie #32, is exactly the worst. Though top 10 is not the best, it's within striking distance. Clyde Edwards-Hellaire has a way of making OL look good.

J

Well Mahomes held on to the ball longer than he had in any previous season and his sack percentage last year was below his career average. You might think taking the extra time meant looking deeper but his intended air yards were down also. I don't think their line with both tackles healthy was bad at all. Lose both tackles and things could get tricky and it did. I guess as far as at the time of the final game of the season the Chiefs had the worst O-Line in the league but at that point it was also second best because only two teams were remaining.

I think the team that had the best offseason is the team that wins this year's Super Bowl. I think that's how people will see it when it is all said and done. No one will say the Jets adding 5 wins made their offseason better than the Whoever's offseason which led them to a championship. Whether it is TB keeping their team intact, Chiefs retooling their line, Raven getting outside receivers, Browns fixing their defense, Bills doing whatever they did, Packer's schmoozing Rodgers, WFT signing Heinicke, Rams getting Stafford, Seahawks not trading Wilson, etc... if a team wins it all there will be something looked at from this offseason to say that's what made this happen.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thomas5737 said:

I think the team that had the best offseason is the team that wins this year's Super Bowl. I think that's how people will see it when it is all said and done. No one will say the Jets adding 5 wins made their offseason better than the Whoever's offseason which led them to a championship. Whether it is TB keeping their team intact, Chiefs retooling their line, Raven getting outside receivers, Browns fixing their defense, Bills doing whatever they did, Packer's schmoozing Rodgers, WFT signing Heinicke, Rams getting Stafford, Seahawks not trading Wilson, etc... if a team wins it all there will be something looked at from this offseason to say that's what made this happen.

If these rookie QB's look like they can eventually lead their team to a SB run, the team that drafted them had a great offseason, regardless of them not winning the SB this year. If the Chiefs win the SB this year, but the Jags win the 3 after that (and KC never wins another SB), did the Chiefs or Jags have the best offseason?

Edited by Jeezla

2 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

If these rookie QB's look like they can eventually lead their team to a SB run, the team that drafted them had a great offseason, regardless of them not winning the SB this year. If the Chiefs win the SB this year, but the Jags win the 3 after that (and KC never wins another SB), did the Chiefs or Jags have the best offseason?

Chiefs. They should have traded their team to the Jags after their SB win though, but that was the following offseason.