Post Draft Roster Moves

WindyCity

15 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

The good news is the 2022 CB draft class and FA pool looks really deep...could we finally get Josh Jackson on the Bears? hahaha

Dont tease me MM.  GB was so stupid, they run mostly man, and that's not JJs strength.  Hes a see it, go get it CB, not a guy you want turning his back to the QB

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Superman(DH23) said:

Dont tease me MM.  GB was so stupid, they run mostly man, and that's not JJs strength.  Hes a see it, go get it CB, not a guy you want turning his back to the QB

As much as it would be great for one of these CBs to step up and be the #2 guy Jackson would be a quality and realistic fit here...can't believe the Packers have let so many of their CBs deals run out at the same time...that said the guy I am all over for next year is Nebraska CB Cam Taylor-Britt...dude is a beast but hopefully won't have too good a season and end up going in the 1st.

Realistically we are going to need internal (2021) or external (2022) options at 

LE

OLB2

CB2

SS

UTE

RT

RT and CB are the ones I have some confidence about in terms of young guys.

LE could be Edwards long term if he shows last season was not a fluke.

3 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Realistically we are going to need internal (2021) or external (2022) options at 

LE

OLB2

CB2

SS

UTE

RT

RT and CB are the ones I have some confidence about in terms of young guys.

LE could be Edwards long term if he shows last season was not a fluke.

ILB can 100% be added to this list...hopefully in place of RT if Ifedi or Borom shows out.

2 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

The good news is the 2022 CB draft class and FA pool looks really deep...could we finally get Josh Jackson on the Bears? hahaha

Yup.....next offseason the secondary may need some attention at both CB and SS.

My hope is that now having gotten our prize rookie CB and OT that Pace can return to cycling through each unit on offense and defense focusing the offseason on upgrading via both FA and the draft.  It would be nice to begin stockpiling some additional picks again whenever possible if only to keep using as booty to move up for better choices when we hone in on them.

As far as I'm concerned if we only had three picks and all three became solid core players it would still be a successful draft.  I know that's not always how it works but it should be the goal of each and every draft no matter how few or how many picks we have.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

ILB can 100% be added to this list...hopefully in place of RT if Ifedi or Borom shows out.

I should have added it. I was looking more at positions that will be out of contract.

Ideally, we can re-sign Nichols, Robinson, and Daniels. Sign a TE to replace Graham.

Then spam the defense with young/cheap picks and replace some of these guys that way.

• Like 2

On 5/6/2021 at 7:58 PM, WindyCity said:

If Kmet gets hurt we can’t play Holtz that much.

I would love to see a real TE3 find his way to the roster. Houston has a ton of developmental TEs who have played a little and they just added Brevin Jordan.

I see the Bears getting pretty creative with the roster this year, all 3 of our QBs are pretty much roster locks and a ton of money, and all 3 RBs are roster locks....that plus rookies and veterans we already have at WR, Im pretty sure we go into the season with only 2 TEs

I could see this being a year where we call alot of guys up from the practice squad due to injuries. Until we get Foles contract off the books we are just a little stuck, 2022 is pretty much a blank slate though and Fields in his sophmore season

1 hour ago, MonserinNC said:

I see the Bears getting pretty creative with the roster this year, all 3 of our QBs are pretty much roster locks and a ton of money, and all 3 RBs are roster locks....that plus rookies and veterans we already have at WR, Im pretty sure we go into the season with only 2 TEs

I could see this being a year where we call alot of guys up from the practice squad due to injuries. Until we get Foles contract off the books we are just a little stuck, 2022 is pretty much a blank slate though and Fields in his sophmore season

The way we’ve addressed (or rather NOT addressed) CB tells me that Desai has a lot of confidence in what we already have in the CB room. Gotta think the former DB coach would be on board with letting Fuller go and replacing him with Trufant and a 6th round pick in a division with Adams, Thielen and Jefferson. 

A reminder that Burns was running as no. 2 corner with Fuller before he got hurt very early in camp.    

Granted Johnson was still recovering at time and had not started practice. 

Maybe he can bounce back. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

A reminder that Burns was running as no. 2 corner with Fuller before he got hurt very early in camp.    

Granted Johnson was still recovering at time and had not started practice. 

Maybe he can bounce back. 

Kyle Long started in 2019. Sometimes coaches start bad players because they don't trust their other options.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

Kyle Long started in 2019. Sometimes coaches start bad players because they don't trust their other options.

We don’t know he was going to be bad in 2020.  

Burns is a very talented player who started well and ended badly in Pittsburgh.

But you cannot deny his athletic ability.  It’s not out of realm of possibility that he turns his career around.   He is still young.  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

But you cannot deny his athletic ability.  It’s not out of realm of possibility that he turns his career around.   He is still young.  

He's always had athletic ability but he's struggled in coverage basically since his rookie year. He was benched in PIT for a reason.

Not that he can't turn things around in Chicago, but after missing a full season due to a major injury, I wouldn't count on it.

39 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

These are his Combine numbers and scouting report.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/artie-burns/32004255-5250-7944-5fac-fe438f13fc26

Seems to me he's a guy who has superb athleticism and the other physical traits you'd want in an NFL CB but he's never put it altogether either in college or the pros.  Despite that he put up some impressive stats in college and may have benefited playing their longer.

So.....he's a rescue project Desai and his staff need to put some time into.  He was 20 years old when drafted and not ready for the prime time.  He's 26 now and hopefully mature enough to understand this may be his last shot at becoming a starting NFL CB.

Everything written about him then applies to where he is now so I'm in total agreement.  He could be nothing or a real find.

10 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

The way we’ve addressed (or rather NOT addressed) CB tells me that Desai has a lot of confidence in what we already have in the CB room. Gotta think the former DB coach would be on board with letting Fuller go and replacing him with Trufant and a 6th round pick in a division with Adams, Thielen and Jefferson. 

I don’t know if he has confidence, but there just aren’t the resources to do a lot more.

We need some young guys to step up in the secondary. That was the cost of a big invest on offense.

1 hour ago, abstract_thought said:

He's always had athletic ability but he's struggled in coverage basically since his rookie year. He was benched in PIT for a reason.

Not that he can't turn things around in Chicago, but after missing a full season due to a major injury, I wouldn't count on it.

Its not a matter of counting on it.  He is a talented dart.  You are hoping one hits.

You brought in Roberson and Burns hoping to strike gold and both unfortunately got hurt too early to tell what you really had or didn’t have.   Hard to predict two major injuries so close together.  

I think Johnson will always be an injury risk and Trufant also did not play well last year.  

So I think the hope is that one of those three will surprise.   I think Vildor or Shelley could take a step forward and be better (or worse) as well. 

We talked a lot last year about CB battle, I think same will be true again this year though most people have Trufant as penciled starter with Johnson.  

I think Johnson is a penciled starter.   I think Trufant is most likely to start, but not a given in least.   Even if he does no guarantee he or Johnson stay healthy.

Again I think it is not nothing that Burns was running with ones pre injury.  That wasn’t random or based on rep or lack thereof.  He was showing best early.  I think that he will get a real shot.

CB is a position that could be decent to good or really bad for Bears.  A lot of uncertainty right now.   

• Like 2