Jump to content

Campbell: "We're going to run a 3-4 style defense."


Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
On 5/6/2021 at 9:44 AM, Sllim Pickens said:

I'm not sure what Romeo Okwara has shown that gives you more faith in him as an OLB compared to Flowers.  Both are unknowns in a 3-4.  I don't trust either of them in coverage.  

Collins would be a solid SAM OLB in a 3-4. 

Everyone else is an unknown at LB to be honest.  Julian Okwara has the ability to be a jack LB who can rush occasionally based on his skill sets. But again we haven't seen it. Tavai could be that Bart Scott block eater but I don't trust his instincts to be good at it.  Barnes seems like he would excel in a rush LB position and not sure of his ability to play inside.  So seems we have a lot of pieces that could work but might just not be very good.   

 

Honestly I really agree with these bolded points when talking about Flowers/Okwara, but, Okwara at this point in his career to me is the better pass rusher so he'd be the better player. Both wouldn't be very effective dropping back but Okwara might do even better lined up wider with more space.

What we watched from Flowers... is retirement type player. He plays like that 2nd year in a row and he'll be cut and likely retired or a minimal contract camp invite type dude. He was really bad, and now aging. It's in the best interest for all to have him bounce back with 8-15 sacks right? but... Idk, I'd bet against him getting +7.5 if that was on draftkings or fanduel.

Edited by SimbaWho
Link to post
Share on other sites

Lotta competition for, imo, one starting spot in the LB'ing group.

OLB - MLB - MLB - OLB

J.Collins - A.Anzalone - ???? - R.Okwara

* Derrick Barnes, Jaleen Maybin-Reeves, Dion Hamilton, Jahlani Tavai * With Julian Okwara, Trey Flowers, Chris Harris competing for back-up rush OLB's.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

My guess would be:

DE: Flowers

NT: McNeill

DE: Brockers

WOLB: R. Okwara

ILB: Anzalone

ILB: Tavai

SOLB: Collins

Julian Okwara will rotate with his brother and Collins. Onwuzurike will rotate with Brockers and Flowers. Barnes will compete with Tavai and Anzalone. Pensini will rotate with McNeill in the middle. I don't see Flowers playing OLB. He was quite good as a 5-Tech for New England. But frankly, for this defense to work with this personnel, they're going to need to play an aggressive front. This personnel doesn't fit a traditional read-and-react two-gap scheme well.

But frankly, this is more of a multiple front than a true 3-4. When you go into sub-packages, I'd roll with a front four of Flowers-Brockers-McNeill-R. Okwara instead of the traditional 2-4-5. (I imagine that Onwuzurike will get plenty of run too inside.)

Edited by jrry32
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, jrry32 said:

My guess would be:

DE: Flowers

NT: McNeill

DE: Brockers

WOLB: R. Okwara

ILB: Anzalone

ILB: Tavai

SOLB: Collins

Julian Okwara will rotate with his brother and Collins. Onwuzurike will rotate with Brockers and Flowers. Barnes will compete with Tavai and Anzalone. Pensini will rotate with McNeill in the middle. I don't see Flowers playing OLB. He was quite good as a 5-Tech for New England. But frankly, for this defense to work with this personnel, they're going to need to play an aggressive front. This personnel doesn't fit a traditional read-and-react two-gap scheme well.

But frankly, this is more of a multiple front than a true 3-4. When you go into sub-packages, I'd roll with a front four of Flowers-Brockers-McNeill-R. Okwara instead of the traditional 2-4-5. (I imagine that Onwuzurike will get plenty of run too inside.)

This, top to bottom.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/7/2021 at 9:41 AM, SimbaWho said:

Right, when he was athletic looking still and the prime of his career. He's slowed down, imo, and isn't an effective rusher anymore. That's why I give Julian Okwara the pass/node (outside looking in) as a rush OLB cause he's just the better pass rusher the past two seasons in a row I think.

Oh, definitely. I don't think Flowers plays OLB in a 3-4 at all. My comment was pointing out that he played DE for NE's 3-4 defense.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah I can wrap my head around that a lot better. Idk if I'd have Tavai in there but I like Jrry32 post with his front. Caters a little to rushing the passer and I'm all for that.

Quote

 

DE: Trey Flowers, Levi Onwuzurike

NT: John Penisini, Alim McNeill

DE: Michael Brockers, Nick Williams

OLB: Romeo Okwara, Julian Okwara, Chris Harris

MLB: Alex Anzalone, Jahlani Tavai

MLB: Derrick Barnes, Dion Hamilton

OLB: Jamie Collins, Jaleen Reeves-Maybin

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/7/2021 at 9:21 PM, jrry32 said:

My guess would be:

DE: Flowers

NT: McNeill

DE: Brockers

WOLB: R. Okwara

ILB: Anzalone

ILB: Tavai

SOLB: Collins

Julian Okwara will rotate with his brother and Collins. Onwuzurike will rotate with Brockers and Flowers. Barnes will compete with Tavai and Anzalone. Pensini will rotate with McNeill in the middle. I don't see Flowers playing OLB. He was quite good as a 5-Tech for New England. But frankly, for this defense to work with this personnel, they're going to need to play an aggressive front. This personnel doesn't fit a traditional read-and-react two-gap scheme well.

But frankly, this is more of a multiple front than a true 3-4. When you go into sub-packages, I'd roll with a front four of Flowers-Brockers-McNeill-R. Okwara instead of the traditional 2-4-5. (I imagine that Onwuzurike will get plenty of run too inside.)

Everyone seems to be counting out John Penisini.  He was one of the few rookies who actually made decent progress last year.  I would see him carving out a role on this defense.

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

Everyone seems to be counting out John Penisini.  He was one of the few rookies who actually made decent progress last year.  I would see him carving out a role on this defense.

I think most people consider McNeill as a NT and how many teams keep 2 NTs on the roster?

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Nnivolcm said:

I think most people consider McNeill as a NT and how many teams keep 2 NTs on the roster?

I’m guessing we would need a backup, I just don’t expect him to be much.  He was a rookie that was ok, but he didn’t really play well.  He will be solid depth which is good for a late round pick.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I’m guessing we would need a backup, I just don’t expect him to be much.  He was a rookie that was ok, but he didn’t really play well.  He will be solid depth which is good for a late round pick.  

Penisini is a good depth NT. About what you expect out of a 6th rounder. I expect him to make the roster but not to start. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Louis Friend said:

Penisini is a good depth NT. About what you expect out of a 6th rounder. I expect him to make the roster but not to start. 

Yep, this is where I'm at as well.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not convinced that guys like Penisini are guaranteed to have roles this year. Patricia and Quinn drafted guys to play such specific roles in their defense that they might not translate to what we do this year. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lions017 said:

I'm not convinced that guys like Penisini are guaranteed to have roles this year. Patricia and Quinn drafted guys to play such specific roles in their defense that they might not translate to what we do this year. 

I agree with this to some extent.  I think they know they have to keep some of them around for cap and just roster reasons.  Yes the Patriot players were brought in for their comfort in a Patricia system but it doesn't mean thats all they can succeed in.  Campbell mentioned that they plan to build their system around the strengths of the team and players.  I assume they will find roles or develop systems for guys that are here and adapt as those players change.  

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

There is also a thing called DEPTH. I know we, as Lions fans, are not used to this concept, but good teams normally have more than one player capable at a position. John Penisini is a cheap, rotational NT that can relieve McNeill. Why wouldn't there be a spot for him on this roster? 

 

My guess would be:

DE: Flowers/Williams/Bryant

NT: McNeill/Penisini

DE: Brockers/Hand

WOLB: R. Okwara/Harris/J. Okwara

ILB: Anzalone/Reeves-Maybin

ILB: Barnes/Tavai

SOLB: Collins/Onwuzurike

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...