2022 NFL Draft Thread

NYRaider

8 hours ago, NYRaider said:

He's very good but 1st round is pretty rich for a center. Ideally we'll bench James soon and Martin can play okay. The worst part about us demolishing our OL is that the Chiefs did the same thing but were able to rebuild it almost instantly while we've struggled. Creed Humphrey has played at a Pro Bowl level as a rookie, Trey Smith has been a good starter as a 6th round pick, Orlando Brown is proving to be worth the trade price, and Thuney is one of the best guards in the league.

Humphrey looked like a 1st round centre until the last year so not surprised he's looked good.  Trey Smith was a steal potentially the best gaurd in the class but injuries lead him to slip.  Brown and Thuney are big investments. We looked to reduce the investment to move money to defense.  

With the cap going up we have got to move some money back to o-line but not overspend like we did before. 

Why I'd be happy with Linderbaum, he's our center for the next decade plus. Scheme fit and knows how to snap and read blitz.

10 hours ago, NYRaider said:

TLDR 

But I'm not putting it all on Rod, I'm just saying that for as much hype as he has received as some legendary coach it hasn't really shown in our young players. Ferrell is a non-factor, Key/Hurst/Hall all got cut, and Crosby has improved but how much can be attributed to Rod? He was good as a rookie. Our FA additions like Thomas, Jefferson, and Philon have all flashed and made plays but how much of that is Rod vs Gus? Philon was a Bradley guy and Jefferson played in Seattle so he knew the system prior to signing here. We've also blitzed less than any team in the league but have been able to get home more this year with 4 in Gus' system. 

maybe ferrell just doesnt have it. 

and is Thomas young talent? why does it matter if we drafted him or not? had he played better than in past? then rod deserves some credit. 

you're way too hyperfocused on fa vs drafted.  

is arden key killing in SF ? maybe it's arden key

• Like 2

3 hours ago, roi34 said:

and is Thomas young talent? why does it matter if we drafted him or not? had he played better than in past? then rod deserves some credit. 

Ferrell wasn't particularly good to begin with and only balled out at Clemson thanks to the level of talent immediately around him.

Key is lazy. His last year at LSU tanked his stock. Dude went on cruise control early on and screwed himself. 

Hurst, idk. Size and his health stuff didn't help. He wasn't awful, but is kind of just one of those guys.  

Can't blame a DL coach for that. Even legends can only make so much out of a turd sandwich. 

17 hours ago, NYRaider said:

The defensive line was significantly worse in 2020 with almost the same group. They've been better this season but Thomas, Jefferson, Philon, and Yannick were all acquired this off-season. Crosby has looked better but he hasn't had a sack since week 1 and Ferrell has 2 tackles through the first 4 games. So who has Rod really "coached up" for us?

Just throwing out there that our DTs have more sacks than our DEs rn. When’s the last time anyone’s seen that?

Philions career best is 4 in a season(as a starter); he has 2 currently(in a rotational role). This is after not playing in the NFL for 2 years

Thomas’s career best is 3 in a season(as a starter); he has 2.5 currently(in a rotational role) which currently leads the team

Career best is 3.5 in a season(as a starter 2 years ago); he has 1 currently(in a rotational role)

Nassib last year had 1.5 sacks the entire season; he currently has 1.5 sacks 

So there’s no denying that Marinelli is getting guys to contribute. 

Edited by Jeremy408
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Jeremy408 said:

Just throwing out there that our DTs have more sacks than our DEs rn. When’s the last time anyone’s seen that?

Philions career best is 4 in a season(as a starter); he has 2 currently(in a rotational role). This is after not playing in the NFL for 2 years

Thomas’s career best is 3 in a season(as a starter); he has 2.5 currently(in a rotational role) which currently leads the team

Career best is 3.5 in a season(as a starter 2 years ago); he has 1 currently(in a rotational role)

Nassib last year had 1.5 sacks the entire season; he currently has 1.5 sacks 

So there’s no denying that Marinelli is getting guys to contribute. 

Is it Rod or is it Gus Bradley, one of the best defensive coordinators in the history of the NFL? 

9 hours ago, roi34 said:

Ferrell clearly doesn't have it but our defensive line was terrible last season with Rod here as the DL coach. Gus Bradley shows up and everyone looks better like they have literally everywhere else he has ever coached in his career. 

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

Is it Rod or is it Gus Bradley, one of the best defensive coordinators in the history of the NFL? 

OK

1. you can never be the one to say that because you were hating on him all off-season lol

2. Put a Marinelli have a track record of coaching some of the best defensive lineman who have ever played who have attributed there in their development to him(Booger McFarland it on Monday night prior to the game starting). The guy knows what he's doing(look at Solomon Thomas)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

OK

1. you can never be the one to say that because you were hating on him all off-season lol

2. Put a Marinelli have a track record of coaching some of the best defensive lineman who have ever played who have attributed there in their development to him(Booger McFarland it on Monday night prior to the game starting). The guy knows what he's doing(look at Solomon Thomas)

Why did we have like 10 sacks and the worst run defense in the NFL last year with living legend Rod coaching our dudes up?

21 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

I am not going to defend Mayock but I can say with 99% certainty that Mayock had almost zero input on Leatherwood.  That was all Gruden and Cable.  Cable is not telling Mayock I need a RT and Mayock decides to spend it on Leatherwood.  We all know Gruden has final say and Cable has Gruden's ear.

I think I remember seeing the footage of the pick….and Mayock looking pretty pissed. I’m pretty sure the clips showed the room looking flat and there was very little celebrating.

Regardless, I totally agree. If you think back to Mayock as a pundit, I remember him being more about the late risers, high upside guys. He was all over Mack for example. That’s what I remember anyway. 

I can’t believe that he has any real say in any of this at all.

• Like 1

Just now, reddevil said:

I think I remember seeing the footage of the pick….and Mayock looking pretty pissed. I’m pretty sure the clips showed the room looking flat and there was very little celebrating.

Regardless, I totally agree. If you think back to Mayock as a pundit, I remember him being more about the late risers, high upside guys. He was all over Mack for example. That’s what I remember anyway. 

I can’t believe that he has any real say in any of this at all.

Weren't there also reports that he wanted CeeDee but Gruden wanted Ruggs? 

7 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Weren't there also reports that he wanted CeeDee but Gruden wanted Ruggs? 

Yep. I honestly believe he is around during discussions and is given a chance to contribute - but ultimately ignored by Gruden in favour of his coaches.

I think that’s why he is so animated when he details the later picks during the draft coverage - because those are the ones which he actually has some part in scouting and picking

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

Why did we have like 10 sacks and the worst run defense in the NFL last year with living legend Rod coaching our dudes up?

Because you have to have talent to coach up. A good coach can coach up an B- player to a B+. You can take a bunch of C and D level players and expect a coach to turn them into A and B level players. It doesn't matter how all time the coach is.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Because you have to have talent to coach up. A good coach can coach up an B- player to a B+. You can take a bunch of C and D level players and expect a coach to turn them into A and B level players. It doesn't matter how all time the coach is.

I think our defensive line / overall defense's improvement is more so due to Gus Bradley then Rod. 

2 hours ago, big_palooka said:

I'm sure it had nothing to do with adding a premier pass rusher and 3 new DTs in rotation at all. 

And what do you think was one of the biggest factors in us being able to land those players?

Darius Philon played for Gus in LA, Yannick played for Gus in Jacksonville, and Jefferson (Yannick's college teammate) played in the same system with the Seahawks. Bradley went after guys he had coached before or knew the system in those 3 as well as KJ Wright, Denzel Perryman, and Casey Hayward who were all also guys he had coached before. The only players we brought in under Rod's recommendation were David Irving who couldn't even make the team and Maliek "the key to the defense" Collins who was terrible for us.

Edited by NYRaider