2022 NFL Draft Thread

NYRaider

10 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

I know that would be a very bad move IMO. No offense is meant towards raidr4life, I’m just commenting on the Purposed trade idea.  

if we wanted a 2nd rounder this year we would have given GB 1sts in ‘22 and ‘23.  

From a fan perspective I’m not happy about waiting until #86 But it’s what needs to happen.  

This draft classes is also light on talent. I'd rather have a 1st next year and hopefully have more talent available.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

Absolutely no way Detroit does that.  Detroit isn’t going to take 60 cents on the dollar in that trade.

Odds say we don't make the play offs so the pick goes from 32 to 16. What pick do you normally need to do to get that kind of move up

22 hours ago, SBXISBXVSBXVIII said:

I’d be pissed if they move up for a RB. Much bigger needs.

Understandable but I've got a feeling RB's slide and the BPA would be too good to pass up. If we rated the player as a 1st rounder and he slipped to the 3rd because they are a dime a dozen and teams went after others at that position or filled other needs because as a player slips people wonder why and they keep slipping. BPA vs needs as we could get a RB 4th/5th rounds but if the talent is there and Jacobs/Drake is solid but not ideal and both could be gone next year. Then RB becomes a glaring need if we don't have the replacement already.  I'd love a starting DT or RT to be there in the 3rd (need) but they usually aren't ready to come in a start but a 3rd round RB can play right away. I see this draft as our 2012 draft. So I'd rather get someone at ANY position instead of meh...If they can come in and play in 2022 they GREAT even if it's not a 'need' it's better than 2012.

10 hours ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

This draft classes is also light on talent. I'd rather have a 1st next year and hopefully have more talent available.

Your absolutely right.  Not to mention the “interest” of having to trade a ‘23 1st (and then some) for a ‘22 2nd.  This class isn’t so deep we’d be getting a better player this year over next year.  We’ve already gone very heavy in FA and structuring contracts to give us a 3-4 year window, we Are in no shape to start trading future 1sts just to get a 2nd rounder this year.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, OnlyGlove said:

Odds say we don't make the play offs so the pick goes from 32 to 16. What pick do you normally need to do to get that kind of move up

Idk what Vegas is saying but we’re a playoff level team as far as trading future 1sts.  A ‘23 1st would likely get you a pick in the late 30s, early 40s.  Heck, pick 32 is worth significantly more then 33 because it is a 4+1 contract instead of a flat 4.

On 4/23/2022 at 4:21 AM, OnlyGlove said:

I can't see the Bears guy making the roster he is terrible.

I Absolutely agree with you, However it seems the staff and front office values Bars significantly higher given his contract.  

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/las-vegas-raiders/alex-bars-29391/

1yr, 1.7m isn’t a ton of money but it is a good amount more then FAs we’ve signed like Jayon Brown, Vernon Butler, etc and FAs we’ve resigned like Hankins, Eluemenor, etc that are all expected to be starters or significant backups.

luckily, we can cut Bars and not see a significant cap hit.  We’d be out 500k for the signing bonus and work out bonus, assuming he qualifies for it during off-season workouts.  He wouldn’t get his 1.0555M salary or roster bonus 144k.

again I get 1.7m isn’t a ton but with as frugal as we write towards the end of FA to give Bars 500k guaranteed shows the FO believes he’ll make the team.

I haven't really engaged much with the players the Raiders might consider in the third round, but it seems to me that tight end and safety will be the deepest positions to pick from at the end of day 2. I'm probably in the minority, but I think the Raiders do not have a pressing need at safety (I was high on Gillespie), but I think tight end is a medium-term need and this draft has some nice prospects projected to be available in the third round. My favorites of the bunch are Cade Otten and Greg Dulcich. I wouldn't trade up for either, but I would like to see them be the pick at 86.

4 hours ago, Rich7sena said:

I haven't really engaged much with the players the Raiders might consider in the third round, but it seems to me that tight end and safety will be the deepest positions to pick from at the end of day 2. I'm probably in the minority, but I think the Raiders do not have a pressing need at safety (I was high on Gillespie), but I think tight end is a medium-term need and this draft has some nice prospects projected to be available in the third round. My favorites of the bunch are Cade Otten and Greg Dulcich. I wouldn't trade up for either, but I would like to see them be the pick at 86.

I wouldn’t take a TE in round 3, but if there’s a good one left in the 5th, maybe even the 4th then I’d draft them.  Right now Jacob Hollister (or Nick Bowers) is our 3rd TE and it seems like McDaniels likes to use 2 TE sets so having a 3rd TE that’s capable is a moderate need IMO.  There’s also the possibility that we lose Foster Moreau in FA next offseason.  Jeremy Ruckert, Isaiah Likely, Jelani Woods, Cade Otten in round 4 or Charlie Kolar/Jake Ferguson would be good picks.  

12 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

I wouldn’t take a TE in round 3, but if there’s a good one left in the 5th, maybe even the 4th then I’d draft them.  Right now Jacob Hollister (or Nick Bowers) is our 3rd TE and it seems like McDaniels likes to use 2 TE sets so having a 3rd TE that’s capable is a moderate need IMO.  There’s also the possibility that we lose Foster Moreau in FA next offseason.  Jeremy Ruckert, Isaiah Likely, Jelani Woods, Cade Otten in round 4 or Charlie Kolar/Jake Ferguson would be good picks.  

I certainly wouldn't discount a TE in round 4 if the right guy is there. 

I know it's blasphemous to say, but if we draft a guy who winds up pretty good, we could skip on paying Waller and keep a good chunk of space available while we roll with a 2022 pick/Moreau at TE. 

With how McDaniels has historically used them, we should expect a lot of Waller/Moreau this year, meaning Waller likely gets more expensive but also gets more wear and tear going into his age 31 season. 

End of the day, even if we do pay him, it's probably smart business to have a TE3 waiting on the wings for breather/injury purposes. 

Or, as you said, it could be Moreau that we lose. 

Edited by ronjon1990

2 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

I certainly wouldn't discount a TE in round 4 if the right guy is there. 

I know it's blasphemous to say, but if we draft a guy who winds up pretty good, we could skip on paying Waller and keep a good chunk of space available while we roll with a 2022 pick/Moreau at TE. 

With how McDaniels has historically used them, we should expect a lot of Waller/Moreau this year, meaning Waller likely gets more expensive but also gets more wear and tear going into his age 31 season. 

End of the day, even if we do pay him, it's probably smart business to have a TE3 waiting on the wings for breather/injury purposes. 

Or, as you said, it could be Moreau that we lose. 

I agree with you on Waller but I will say it’s more likely their good enough to allow us to let Moreau walk.  

when you run 2 TE sets you really need the 3rd TE to be serviceable because you could have injuries to Waller or Moreau and if so you have to abandon 2 TE looks if the 3rd TE isn’t good.  That could limit the play calling a moderate degree.