2022 NFL Draft Thread

NYRaider

On 5/14/2021 at 4:55 PM, BayRaider said:

Instead, we will keep picking in the Middle of the Draft, basically a way to stay 8-8 forever. 

If we have another disappointing season and Carr falls apart down the stretch again I could see us moving up for a QB especially since Carr will be going into the last year of his deal.

I've been a sucker for project QB's lately. Willis is closing in as my way-to-early, very subject to change, QB1 of this draft so far. What a skillset. Such a superb arm, superb window placement, power runner, dog, good pocket movement, good speed, he is basically the total package. Obviously such a mystery and classic boom or bust from a school like Liberty though. I'm not afraid of boom or bust guys. Today's NFL, project QB's end up working in this pass friendly league. Mahomes worked (air raid QB's were 0 for 16 before Mahomes), Allen worked, and I fully expect both Love and Lance to work. 

That arm on Willis is soooo nice. 

He would need a year on the bench though just like Lance. 

Could see:

1st Year: Bench

2nd Year: Rough/Slightly Below Average

3rd Year: Good

4th Year til end of career: Monster

With that said, jury is still out on Willis. It's hard to make a judgment on any of these guys this early. He could be my #1 come next years draft, or he could not even be a Top 2 Round Pick. Need to see more. 

With that said, I'd have everyone behind Lawrence, Wilson, Lance, and Fields so far. 

On 5/14/2021 at 7:55 PM, BayRaider said:

Instead, we will keep picking in the Middle of the Draft, basically a way to stay 8-8 forever. 

last time we had a top 5 pick we still picked a middle of the draft guy.

and then the next 2 picks were a running back and box safety. the team just has to make better decisions when those decisions are available to them

Edited by Turnobili
  • Like 2

55 minutes ago, Turnobili said:

Our most recent top 10 picks:

• Clelin Ferrell (4th, 2019)

• Amari Cooper (4th, 2015)

• Khalil Mack (4th, 2014)

• Rolando McClain (8th, 2010)

• Darius Heyward-Bey (7th, 2009)

• Darren McFadden (4th, 2008)

• Jamarcus Russell (1st, 2007)

• Michael Huff (7th, 2006)

• Robert Gallery (2nd, 2004)

1 hour ago, BayRaider said:

With that said, I'd have everyone behind Lawrence, Wilson, Lance, and Fields so far. 

I think Spencer Rattler has the ability to make a huge jump this year. He was a RS freshman last year playing during a pandemic season and while he had his struggles he was still good overall. Lincoln Riley took Baker Mayfield/Kyler Murray as transfers who were non-NFL prospects and developed them into #1 picks. And he developed Jalen Hurts who looked like a mid to late round guy when he transferred in, into a 2nd round pick. 

59 minutes ago, Turnobili said:

and then the next 2 picks were a running back and box safety. the team just has to make better decisions when those decisions are available to them

Over the last like two decades the only good 1st round picks we've made are Janikowski, Asomugha, Mack, Cooper, and Jacobs,

9 minutes ago, Turnobili said:

i still dont consider jacobs a good first round pick, fwiw

Yeah, neither do I. RB’s similar to him never go in the 1st. I think Jacobs will have a similar career to Zack Moss. They are both similar RB’s. And Moss went in the third round. Jacobs will be better than Moss, but it’s not gonna be a big gap at all. 

I also wouldn’t consider Cooper a good 1st Round pick even though I pounded the table for him. He is a WR1 but a very fringe WR1. I was wrong on Cooper pre-draft. 

Honestly, if Ruggs and Jeudy don’t pan out, I think I am permanently gonna be turned off by Alabama WR’s. 

Edited by BayRaider

9 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Yeah, neither do I. RB’s similar to him never go in the 1st. I think Jacobs will have a similar career to Zack Moss. They are both similar RB’s. And Moss went in the third round. Jacobs will be better than Moss, but it’s not gonna be a big gap at all. 
I also wouldn’t consider Cooper a good 1st Round pick even though I pounded the table for him. He is a WR1 but a very fringe WR1. I was wrong on Cooper pre-draft. 

Honestly, if Ruggs and Jeudy don’t pan out, I think I am permanently gonna be turned off by Alabama WR’s. 

Josh Jacobs has 2,600 APY yards and 19 TD in 28 games through his first two seasons. And IIRC is the only Raiders RB to go for 1,000+ rushing yards in consecutive seasons in a few decades. Moss had like 400 yards in Buffalo last year. 

Cooper has 6,200 yards and 38 TD through the first 6 years of his career. He's only 26 and if he continues on his current trajectory he'll probably finish his career in the top 20-30 all time in both yards and TD. 

Jeudy just had 856 yards as a rookie playing with arguably the worst starting quarterback in the league. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Turnobili said:

i still dont consider jacobs a good first round pick, fwiw

I do. He has essentially carried our offense over the last two seasons, particularly during his rookie season. He was banged up for most of last year and our run blocking took a significant step back. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

Josh Jacobs has 2,600 APY yards and 19 TD in 28 games through his first two seasons. And IIRC is the only Raiders RB to go for 1,000+ rushing yards in consecutive seasons in a few decades. Moss had like 400 yards in Buffalo last year. 

Cooper has 6,200 yards and 38 TD through the first 6 years of his career. He's only 26 and if he continues on his current trajectory he'll probably finish his career in the top 20-30 all time in both yards and TD. 

Jeudy just had 856 yards as a rookie playing with arguably the worst starting quarterback in the league. 

Don’t care about bulk yardage in any way. Moss is on a pass first offense and had Devin Singletary. They both have a 4.3 ypc career average. Both are exactly the same RB in every way. Both have the same body type, both are 4.6 runners (Jacobs is probably 4.7), both are violent, both are power RB’s, and both break tackles. Very similar. 

I am not doubting Jacobs is the better RB. He is definitely the better RB and always will be. But the gap between them isn’t going to be very big, and you will see that throughout their careers. RB’s in general usually shouldn’t go in the 1st Round. And ones like Jacobs usually never go in the 1st Round. I can’t think of a single 4.6 RB that has gone in the 1st. 

As for Cooper, he is soft. Very, very soft, and not a dog at all. He’s a WR1, I agree with that. I’d even say he’s a fringe Top 20 WR. But I have not been impressed with him and he’s not the type of WR I envisioned him becoming. The guy disappears during all big games. I may rag on Carr sometimes for not being a dog enough, but absolutely no one is more soft than Amari Cooper. 

2 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Don’t care about bulk yardage in any way. Moss is on a pass first offense and had Devin Singletary. They both have a 4.3 ypc career average. Both are exactly the same RB in every way. Both have the same body type, both are 4.6 runners (Jacobs is probably 4.7), both are violent, both are power RB’s, and both break tackles. Very similar. 

Based on this logic JK Dobbins is the best RB in the NFL.

12 hours ago, NYRaider said:

I do. He has essentially carried our offense over the last two seasons, particularly during his rookie season. He was banged up for most of last year and our run blocking took a significant step back. 

which are precisely the reasons not to like RB in the first round. shelf life and hyper dependent on surroundings. doesnt mean he's not a very good RB. but i wouldnt touch RB in the first round unless its some generational talent. 

Edited by Turnobili

On 5/22/2021 at 4:28 PM, NYRaider said:

Over the last like two decades the only good 1st round picks we've made are Janikowski, Asomugha, Mack, Cooper, and Jacobs,

I LOVE Jano, but I still think taking a K in the 1st is absurd unless he's routinely booting 80+ yarders against the wind in Chicago lol. 

As for the others, Asomugha and Mack 100%. 

I'd add Miller to the list, and if Leatherwood pans out, him too. 

I hated the Cooper pick when we made it and still do. He's barely a WR1 unless he's surrounded by other WR talent. Some blame can go on QB play, but Cooper was a drop machine and never seemed interested in being a Raider. He's like Jared Cook to me in that regard, and I think Cook is one of the laziest and least motivated people in the league. What good is 1 or 2 highlight reel catches a game when you drop or flake out on virtually all other passes that come your way?

Jacobs has been good so I won't knock him as a 1st rounder other than to say I will forever maintain we could have gotten him or Sanders in the 2nd and we'd probably not have missed much. 

Edited by ronjon1990