2022 NFL Draft Thread

NYRaider

1 hour ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

Davis appears to be a stud but doesn't he project more as a 1T and not a 3T? 

No doubt that beast will help us in the run game but we need an interior disruptor that can consistently rush the passer and be stout in the run game, especially in the 1st round.  

If he can transfer his skills to the NFL he will free up everyone on the d-line and we would just need a 3T that can beat 1v1s.  Davis will need to be doubled every play.  He reminds me of Dexter Lawrence.  Lawrence could lineup at 0,1, and 3 which I do not think Davis could not handle 3T.  

2 hours ago, Mr Raider said:

Prior to the rookie wage scale I would have wanted to go as high as possible. Since the wage scale though, I would want to go to a situation where I was surrounded by enough talent to put me in a good enough position to succeed to ball out and secure the bag. Obvious exceptions though. Perhaps even more than the surrounding talent though I would likely want to go to the highest team picking that has a coaching staff that has shown they know what they are doing and will put me in the best position to succeed and ask me to play to my strengths. 

That's what I'm saying. I might prefer being a 2nd round pick, have no 5th year option and chance to secure the bag after year 4.

It sucks when great prospects end up in terrible places. Kayvon Thibodeaux will end up in Detroit, Jacksonville, etc.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

No doubt that beast will help us in the run game but we need an interior disruptor that can consistently rush the passer and be stout in the run game, especially in the 1st round.  

I think he projects similar to Vea. He is capable of pressuring the pocket, but he needs coaching on his counter moves in that department.

6 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

That's what I'm saying. I might prefer being a 2nd round pick, have no 5th year option and chance to secure the bag after year 4.

It sucks when great prospects end up in terrible places. Kayvon Thibodeaux will end up in Detroit, Jacksonville, etc.

For sure. There are some positions I wouldn't be as concerned with how good the rest of the team is, DE would be pretty high on that list, as would interior OL, RB, perhaps S. But positions like QB, CB, WR, etc? The surrounding talent and coaching staff being at least solid is going to have a HUGE impact on your ability to not be a "bust" and secure the bag long term. Basically the devalued positions are the positions that don't typically get drafted high regardless, and those positions I think are easier to shine even without great talent around you so it wouldn't be as big a deal. 

There are plenty of QBs that have busted simply because they didn't have the necessary skills, whether it's physically, work ethic, or the mental side of the game, but IMO there are just as many that bust in large part because they were drafted highly and received poor coaching/instability from the front office down and/or virtually nothing to work with in terms of protection, skill positions to lean on, and bad defense. With the wage scale for rookies if you asked me would you want to be a high first round pick on a terrible team or a 7th round pick obviously you take the significantly bigger paycheck. But if you ask me would you leave a few million on the table on your first contract to be a late first or second round pick on a team where you aren't going to be asked to do it alone I want the better situation. 

Very good point on the second round pick getting a 4 year deal without the option. Especially for a position like RB I think that very well may be preferable. We have seen how short their shelf life is, and teams run them into the ground while on that rookie contract. The ability to potentially get to a second contract a year earlier while still in your prime is extremely significant. 

8 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

I think he projects similar to Vea. He is capable of pressuring the pocket, but he needs coaching on his counter moves in that department.

What do you think his combine looks like? I'm a UGA fan so I agree he's going to be one of the talks of the combine when you consider how massive he is. But I'm curious what you believe is the likely range for his combine numbers at his size is?

6 hours ago, big_palooka said:

A mock draft in October is a pretty useless gauge. Baring injury, Davis will be a top 10 pick after highlighting the playoffs and combine testing where he will blow the doors off for a man of his size. He's in that Vita Vea category of NTs who can dominate.

I'm with you 100% however, he's exactly what the Raiders need in the middle. 

If he works his way up that highly we should trade up. Better then using picks on guys like Koonce, Muse, and Bowden. 

4 hours ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

The Seahawks defense had success under Bradley with Alan Branch starting for them. Davis is going to be very, very good.

1 hour ago, Mr Raider said:

What do you think his combine looks like? I'm a UGA fan so I agree he's going to be one of the talks of the combine when you consider how massive he is. But I'm curious what you believe is the likely range for his combine numbers at his size is?

Recent comments on him:

NFL Expert Says Jordan Davis "Play like Thanos"

Davis has played his way into not only early first-round conversations, but Heisman conversations believe it or not. He's off to an exceptional year, and the NFL and it's draft analysts are starting to take notice.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

As @big_palooka said (believe he's a UGA fan) he compares to Vea. 

6 hours ago, big_palooka said:

If you're a college player, would you rather go top 5 in the draft or drop to a better team?

Depends on what position I play and the scheme/team I'm going too. If I'm a QB it's probably almost always drop to a better team like we've seen with Mahomes in KC and Jackson in Baltimore.

Does anybody else think we may get rid of Littleton next year and draft a LB.  I understand he is scheduled to make almost $16 million next year and has $14 million in dead cap but the way his contract is structured we are going to pay the $14 million regardless and it is a matter of if we want the extra $12 million cap hit if he is on the team next year.  The $14 million is a sunk cost from Gruden and Mayock's wonderful restructuring but we have a choice of paying him $16 million next year and another $10 million dead cap over the next 3 years or we can cut him and only have $14 million dead cap next year.  If we draft a LB in the 2nd round we would probably pay $8 million over 4 years.  So we can burn $26 million and have a LB for 1 year or get rid of Littleton and have a LB for 4 years with the cost of $24 million and a 2nd.  If Littleton plays well we could trade him to decrease the draft capital cost.  Probably would not get much though.  Just an idea.  I thought he would be a lock to be on the team next year until I realized he would cost an extra $12 million in real money and $12 million in cap space if he is on the team next year.  Not sure of the impact if we cut him and another team signs him but I thought that would also decrease our cost.

Edited by drfrey13

2 hours ago, NYRaider said:

The Seahawks defense had success under Bradley with Alan Branch starting for them. Davis is going to be very, very good.

I agree that he should be very good but is the value there to take a 1T in the mid teens/ early 20's of the 1st round? 

He will be a space eater, who commands a double team, which has value but will he be able to rush the passer?  That is what separates good from elite.  My point is can similar value be obtained later in the draft?  While Davis may be a superior talent he has to be more than a space eater who excels in stuffing the run if you're going to spend a 1st on him.