Jump to content

2022 NFL Draft Thread


NYRaider
 Share

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, Jeremy408 said:

stuff like this is where I get the idea that he can rush the passer

I have no problem with Ahmad Gardner game personally. my thing is this:

We already have a sample size on If elite CB play leads to more winning football. and now Casey Hayward has been playing with football and hasn’t even given up a touchdown but teams are finding ways to score via running the ball and passing on the linebackers. It’s less about gardener and it’s more about does that really help us right now. 

The thing with DB's too is that they're very dependent on the pass rush. Even the best corners will get beat if the DL can consistently pressure the QB. We drafted Mullen in the 2nd and Hobbs in the 5th, both guys look like they'll be starters here for a long time. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

It's not about helping right now, this team is devoid of talent and will most likely be going though a rebuild with a new GM/HC.  There is no elite talent on this team and sadly that is a fact.  It's all about building for the future and that starts by acquiring top young talent at key positions.  

I am all for building in the trenches and if Davis was the same caliber player as a 3T, who can get after the QB, I would be willing to listen but he is not.  He is a 350LB ,two down, run stuffing, NT.

Gardner appears to be a 21 year old stud CB to build your D around.  I would take him all day over a NT even one who appears to be very good like Davis.  

Hayward Crosby and Yannick are playing elite football on defense. 
 

Waller and Kolton on offense. 
 

I think the plan is simple:

In FA…

-Go for a big ticket WR. If you can’t find mine go get speed(John Ross for example)

-Keep 2/3 of Solomon Thomas quinton Jefferson and Darius Philon

-keep one or both of Hayward and Brandon Fayscon

in the draft…
-Go for an impact player in the front 7( preferably a big interior lineman who can rush the passer)

-A complete linebacker for today’s NFL

I think the reality is if we don’t overreact this could be very similar to The year it when the Niners had a worse record than they really were because Garoppolo towards ACL.

we lost our most explosive player and our head coach in a month span

 

Edited by Jeremy408
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, NYRaider said:

The thing with DB's too is that they're very dependent on the pass rush. Even the best corners will get beat if the DL can consistently pressure the QB. We drafted Mullen in the 2nd and Hobbs in the 5th, both guys look like they'll be starters here for a long time. 

My thing is when you have a pass rush and dB get hurt you’re still able to get by because the ball is coming out quick

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My updated needs list in no particular order is:

  • Right Tackle - Parker is a liability, I am guessing L-wood is a Guard at this point, we need someone who can bookend Miller. Parker is okay as the #3 OT who might come in for some snaps or even a couple of games, but at this point he is Plan A! Which is not good.
  • Left Guard - I haven't totally given up on Simpson and Denzelle Good may come back and be our starter...just not feeling totally comfortable with what we have.
  • #1 WR - Jackson is our speed dude, Edwards & Jones can be the possession types, Renfrow is our special slot but we need that guy who is a threat in any area (A Davante Adams type - not saying Packers will let him go)
  • A special DT - someone who can defend the run and rush the passer. Hankins is a run-stuffer, the other guys we have are pass rushers...I like them plenty but the ability to have that guy who can be either and both is incredibly valuable.
  • Starting Corner - I like Mullen, and Hayward is good but old, we need a third guy to do what Arnette was supposed to be doing - rotating. Not discounting Hobbs but he is best at slot IMO.

Encouraged by the fact this list is much shorter than other years!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Heart of Oak said:

My updated needs list in no particular order is:

  • Right Tackle - Parker is a liability, I am guessing L-wood is a Guard at this point, we need someone who can bookend Miller. Parker is okay as the #3 OT who might come in for some snaps or even a couple of games, but at this point he is Plan A! Which is not good.
  • Left Guard - I haven't totally given up on Simpson and Denzelle Good may come back and be our starter...just not feeling totally comfortable with what we have.
  • #1 WR - Jackson is our speed dude, Edwards & Jones can be the possession types, Renfrow is our special slot but we need that guy who is a threat in any area (A Davante Adams type - not saying Packers will let him go)
  • A special DT - someone who can defend the run and rush the passer. Hankins is a run-stuffer, the other guys we have are pass rushers...I like them plenty but the ability to have that guy who can be either and both is incredibly valuable.
  • Starting Corner - I like Mullen, and Hayward is good but old, we need a third guy to do what Arnette was supposed to be doing - rotating. Not discounting Hobbs but he is best at slot IMO.

Encouraged by the fact this list is much shorter than other years!

Mostly agree, except for the CB spot. We'll know more once Mullen returns, but Facyson has actually been pretty dang solid in terms of targets-receptions allowed. 

Mullen, Facyson, Hobbs isn't a bad trio by any means to go forward with. CB, other than depth, would be among my least concerns. 

I'd rather double dip at WR or grab a very solid LB. Perryman has been great vs the run, but our LBs have been pretty lackluster in coverage across the board. 

It's definitely a shorter list, but it has an outsized impact. We can't keep being one player away from totally falling apart. 

If I'm GM, my draft board looks something like this:

DT

RT/WR

RT/WR whichever wasn't previously taken. 

LB

CB

LB

BPA. 

FA:

WR, SS, RB, LG, CB

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

Mostly agree, except for the CB spot. We'll know more once Mullen returns, but Facyson has actually been pretty dang solid in terms of targets-receptions allowed. 

Mullen, Facyson, Hobbs isn't a bad trio by any means to go forward with. CB, other than depth, would be among my least concerns. 

I'd rather double dip at WR or grab a very solid LB. Perryman has been great vs the run, but our LBs have been pretty lackluster in coverage across the board. 

It's definitely a shorter list, but it has an outsized impact. We can't keep being one player away from totally falling apart. 

If I'm GM, my draft board looks something like this:

DT

RT/WR

RT/WR whichever wasn't previously taken. 

LB

CB

LB

BPA. 

FA:

WR, SS, RB, LG, CB

 

 

Are you talking about a pass rushing 3T or a NT at the top of your list?  I figure we will be picking around 12 to 15 and I'm not sure there be a 3T there that warrants at top 15 pick?  The only 3T that is highly ranked is Leal but I know nothing about him.  Do you think he would be worthy of a top 15 pick? 

I disagree about our CB's as we have nothing elite.  Mullin is the best of the bunch but average, Facyson is meh and Hobbs is fine in the slot but nothing elite with this crew.  If a stud CB is on the board like Gardner he should be the pick based on overall skillset, positional value.  Hayward is having a fantastic season but counting on him to produce beyond this season is a mistake.  He is going to be 33 at the start on next year and needs to be replaced.  

We need two WR's badly and as many have pointed out, I am hopeful that at least one of the two WR needs can be acquired via FA.  Adams would be insane but I highly doubt GB lets him walk.  Fuller would be a good speed guy to take a shot at on a one year prove it deal.  WR value can also be acquired in the later rounds of the draft, I would not spend a top 15 pick on a WR with all of our team needs.  I would try to bolster our WR's via FA and take a look at a WR in the draft round 2 and beyond. 

RT is a need for sure, it's a shame AL never panned out at RT, as interior OL is another position that has value around the 3rd and 4th rounds but we wasted a pick on a project OT/G in round 1.  

We need a complete overhaul at LB.  Perryman has been good but he is limited in what he can do.  A young, stud, sideline to sideline, MLB is a need and a pass rushing OLB is also a major need.  Devin Lloyd looks to be a good player in the draft but I am not sure the value at 15 and I have only done a bit of research on him.  

Edited by Frankie2Gunz
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

Mostly agree, except for the CB spot. We'll know more once Mullen returns, but Facyson has actually been pretty dang solid in terms of targets-receptions allowed. 

Facyson has been serviceable but a lot will depend on our coaching staff next year and how he fits their scheme. I'd bring Hayward back on another 1 year deal and draft someone in the middle rounds if Bradley is retained.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

We need two WR's badly and as many have pointed out, I am hopeful that at least one of the two WR needs can be acquired via FA.  Adams would be insane but I highly doubt GB lets him walk.  Fuller would be a good speed guy to take a shot at on a one year prove it deal.  WR value can also be acquired in the later rounds of the draft, I would not spend a top 15 pick on a WR with all of our team needs.  I would try to bolster our WR's via FA and take a look at a WR in the draft round 2 and beyond. 

We've had basically 0 success drafting WR's early. Adams would obviously be a dream come true but as you said it's unlikely that the Packers let him walk. Allen Robinson was elite for years but has had a down year playing with Fields so he's a guy that I'd love to target in free agency as he's someone we could probably get at a fair price. I'd also love Will Fuller on a one year prove it deal. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

Mostly agree, except for the CB spot. We'll know more once Mullen returns, but Facyson has actually been pretty dang solid in terms of targets-receptions allowed. 

Mullen, Facyson, Hobbs isn't a bad trio by any means to go forward with. CB, other than depth, would be among my least concerns. 

I'd rather double dip at WR or grab a very solid LB. Perryman has been great vs the run, but our LBs have been pretty lackluster in coverage across the board. 

It's definitely a shorter list, but it has an outsized impact. We can't keep being one player away from totally falling apart. 

If I'm GM, my draft board looks something like this:

DT

RT/WR

RT/WR whichever wasn't previously taken. 

LB

CB

LB

BPA. 

FA:

WR, SS, RB, LG, CB

 

 

Exactly! I think corner was last years problem that’s still being projected on this year(kind of like 3T).

A complete LB makes the biggest impact for us. Also a NT that can rush(which is super rare and hard to get right)

I think WR is trickier than a lot of people think. I think the guys we have make sense when there’s a real deep threat. At the same time it would be nice to have a lead dogg. So.. 

Plan A-davante Adams

Plan B-Allen Robinson

Plan C- Keep Desean Jackson and sign John Ross

 

Edited by Jeremy408
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

Are you talking about a pass rushing 3T or a NT at the top of your list?  I figure we will be picking around 12 to 15 and I'm not sure there be a 3T there that warrants at top 15 pick?  The only 3T that is highly ranked is Leal but I know nothing about him.  Do you think he would be worthy of a top 15 pick? 

I disagree about our CB's as we have nothing elite.  Mullin is the best of the bunch but average, Facyson is meh and Hobbs is fine in the slot but nothing elite with this crew.  If a stud CB is on the board like Gardner he should be the pick based on overall skillset, positional value.  Hayward is having a fantastic season but counting on him to produce beyond this season is a mistake.  He is going to be 33 at the start on next year and needs to be replaced.  

We need two WR's badly and as many have pointed out, I am hopeful that at least one of the two WR needs can be acquired via FA.  Adams would be insane but I highly doubt GB lets him walk.  Fuller would be a good speed guy to take a shot at on a one year prove it deal.  WR value can also be acquired in the later rounds of the draft, I would not spend a top 15 pick on a WR with all of our team needs.  I would try to bolster our WR's via FA and take a look at a WR in the draft round 2 and beyond. 

RT is a need for sure, it's a shame AL never panned out at RT, as interior OL is another position that has value around the 3rd and 4th rounds but we wasted a pick on a project OT/G in round 1.  

We need a complete overhaul at LB.  Perryman has been good but he is limited in what he can do.  A young, stud, sideline to sideline, MLB is a need and a pass rushing OLB is also a major need.  Devin Lloyd looks to be a good player in the draft but I am not sure the value at 15 and I have only done a bit of research on him.  

Leal he’s a good player but he doesn’t really give us anything that we don’t have already.

wait why do you think we need a pass rushing outside LB

Edited by Jeremy408
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, NYRaider said:

We've had basically 0 success drafting WR's early. Adams would obviously be a dream come true but as you said it's unlikely that the Packers let him walk. Allen Robinson was elite for years but has had a down year playing with Fields so he's a guy that I'd love to target in free agency as he's someone we could probably get at a fair price. I'd also love Will Fuller on a one year prove it deal. 

This is a fair comment, though I think Dotson is the pick of the bunch - he looks like a young D-Jax. Wan'Dale Robinson is an interesting prospect toward the middle rounds.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Heart of Oak said:

This is a fair comment, though I think Dotson is the pick of the bunch - he looks like a young D-Jax. Wan'Dale Robinson is an interesting prospect toward the middle rounds.

I can’t see Kentucky coach encouraging any kid to play for us esp after the Bowden thing. I like Robinson tho I also like that #5 wr from Ohio st

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is how I assess the team's needs:

1) RT: Brandon Parker and Alex Leatherwood have been terrible on the right side. I have never been a fan of drafting over a recent draft pick (even one that I disagreed with), but I am pretty confident Leatherwood will never be a competent starting right tackle. Heck, he may never be a competent starting right guard. A potential free agent signing would be Cam Robinson, although he has been starting on the left side his whole NFL career.

2) CB: Hayward will be a free agent after this season and, perhaps more significantly, he will be 33 next year. He has played well, and I wouldn't mind having him back, but the team should look to add talent as early as the first round. A quick look at mock drafts suggest this is good corner draft.

3) WR: I really believe the loss of Ruggs was a much bigger detriment to the offense than the loss of Gruden. It's very likely the team adds at least one quality free agent in a good class; I'm thinking Mike Williams or Michael Gallup. Both players have proven to be effective in the deep and intermediate passing game.

I would ultimately like to see the team grab two starting free agents at the position.

4/5) DT/LB: The need here hinges on who the defensive coordinator is next season. I think a lot of us would like to see Bradley come back--myself included. Part of the problems with the run defense this season are calculated. I think Bradley has "zigged" while other teams have "zagged." Instead of playing 2-high, Bradley has his interior players one-gap as pass rushers on more downs to address explosive pass offenses. This means more pressure, but also bigger running lanes. Instead, the onus is more on the second level of the defense to stop the run. On balance, I think it has worked out for the defense. It also informs what type of player the team looks for. A guy like Jordan Davis might not be as valuable on Bradley's defense.

Also, despite the team facing an exodus at the position in free agency, defensive tackle has been a position teams can easily fill via free agency. I am ultimately not too concerned about going into the season with a skeleton crew at the position--just like the Raiders did this season. 

For the reasons above, linebacker is a bigger need if Bradley stays. And, I think this draft seems to be richer at linebacker than it is at defensive tackle--at least in first round.

6) Guard: The interior line has been bad all season long. Seems to be a decent free agent guard class; I wouldn't mind spending money on players like Norwell, LDT, Tomlinson, Hernandez, etc.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Jeremy408 said:

Exactly! I think corner was last years problem that’s still being projected on this year(kind of like 3T).

A complete LB makes the biggest impact for us. Also a NT that can rush(which is super rare and hard to get right)

I think WR is trickier than a lot of people think. I think the guys we have make sense when there’s a real deep threat. At the same time it would be nice to have a lead dogg. So.. 

Plan A-davante Adams

Plan B-Allen Robinson

Plan C- Keep Desean Jackson and sign John Ross

 

Yeah our CB unit could use some depth, but our starters aren't bad. We haven't seen Mullen in this scheme yet, but he should be solid. Facyson and Hobbs have been more than serviceable. Hayward should have at least a year left as a backup at least. Plan to reinforce, of course, but it's not a top priority. 

Perryman is a thumper. I like him against the run, but not so much against the pass. Littleton is ok, but I think he's replaceable. But our 3rd spot....man we need something. We don't have what I would consider a TE stopping LB, and it's shown. 

WR...Robinson, Adams, Juju would be my primary targets. If we can't get one of them, Ross wouldn't be awful. I'd also try and get a potential sneaky good signing like Cedrick Wilson (he tore us up in Dallas, and he's like their 4th WR). If memory serves me correctly, Lazard, MVS, and St Brown from the Packers are all set to be potentially available. I doubt they keep all 3, and any of them could be potential heavy. I'm hoping Drake London falls into the 2nd due to his injury, I think he's an absolute stud in the making. Later picks I'd consider include Khalil Shakir (Boise St), Joe Ngata (Clemson), Jalen Cropper (Fresno), Emika Emezie (NC St). 

There's definitely plenty of options to go around. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...