2022 NFL Draft Thread

NYRaider

11 hours ago, jpaulthe1st said:

After watching Bryce Young operate against the Georgia front 7 I’m convinced he’s going to be a phenomenal NFL QB.

Here’s my plan to get him: 

Trade Carr this off-season for a minimum of 2 1sts (there will be a market for him from teams built to win now such as Carolina, Pittsburgh, Washington, etc.)

Sign a fringe starting QB on the cheap (Mariota, Newton, Taylor, etc.) this off-season and use the cap savings to focus on building up the rest of the roster. We will be competitive but ultimately win 5-6 games on our way to a Top 10 pick.

Package the top 10 pick along with the 2 other 1sts netted from the Carr trade to get to #1 overall. 

Select Young with pick 1.1 in the 2023 NFL Draft. 

I would also throw a lot of $ at a young offensive minded HC such as Kellen Moore, Daboll, etc. so that Young walks into a favorable coaching situation for his development. 

That puts us on the road to title contention in years 3-5 of Young’s rookie contract. 

Yes I’m willing to offer my services as our GM for a bargain basement salary. 

Bryce young has also looked pretty bad in quite a few games.. Bama qbs usually arent good. Pass. 

last time we took a qb off 1 big game didnt work out

• Like 1

1 minute ago, roi34 said:

Bryce young has also looked pretty bad in quite a few games.. Bama qbs usually arent good. Pass. 

Right?

Anything that involves either tanking or giving up the house to move up for the shiny new flavor of the week QB is exactly what I don't want and is precisely what keeps franchises down. 

You don't sit here in Dec 2021 talking about picking 1.1 overall in 2023 for any reason and expect to be taken seriously. I'd rather dominate 2022 and potentially make a Superbowl, not lose enough games that getting to 1.1 is even possible. 

• Like 2

Just now, Rich7sena said:

Jameson Williams looks like the best receiver in the draft. He looks like Justin Jefferson. I think he's the first receiver off the board and goes top 15.

Great minds think alike.  Doubt he gets picked ahead of Gerrett Wilson.  I completely forgot Chris Olave existed.  Wouldn't be against him either.

Need that deep speed. 

2 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

Right?

Anything that involves either tanking or giving up the house to move up for the shiny new flavor of the week QB is exactly what I don't want and is precisely what keeps franchises down. 

You don't sit here in Dec 2021 talking about picking 1.1 overall in 2023 for any reason and expect to be taken seriously. I'd rather dominate 2022 and potentially make a Superbowl, not lose enough games that getting to 1.1 is even possible. 

Because wallowing in mediocrity has been a great strategy to this point? Who said anything about tanking? I look at it more as a transitory year where we build up the roster for the QBOTF. 

After our typical end of year swoon you’ll all be back on the wagon ready to move on from Carr anyways. 

3 hours ago, roi34 said:

He’s the front runner for the Heisman as a first year starter so not sure where the whole 1 game wonder talk comes from. He’s had a great season and he showed up incredibly well against a defense loaded with future NFL prospects. 

59 minutes ago, jpaulthe1st said:

Because wallowing in mediocrity has been a great strategy to this point? Who said anything about tanking? I look at it more as a transitory year where we build up the roster for the QBOTF. 

After our typical end of year swoon you’ll all be back on the wagon ready to move on from Carr anyways. 

You clearly don't know me or @Frankie2Gunz or several other folks around here....

Also, to get to the 1.1 pick in 2023, we would need to either tank or give up a gold mine (see how well that worked out for Washington, LA, Philly). 

And Bryce Young isn't that kind of QB. He's another Alabama plug and play on an offense full of 4 and 5 star players QB, who have collectively amounted to jack squat in the NFL. This rates up there with the 2018 Tank for Tua campaign.

Again, under no circumstances do you move capital around in preparation for a guy 2 years ahead of time, and not for someone who has all of 13 starts in college, many of which were against teams where the overall talent disparity meant that anything less than a near perfect game would indicate a letdown. 

Miami? Florida? LSU? New Mexico State? 

1/3 of the teams he played fired their HC or are pretty much about to.

Mercer? Lol. Southern Miss? L.O.L. 

Auburn exposed him, and they're hardly "good".  

Half of his opponents this year were really not good teams. What were his stiff outings? Ole Miss? A&M? Georgia, who had an even more laughable schedule and got shown up? 

Nah, any Bryce Young talk right now is waaaay premature.

Edited by ronjon1990
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

You clearly don't know me or @Frankie2Gunz or several other folks around here....

Also, to get to the 1.1 pick in 2023, we would need to either tank or give up a gold mine (see how well that worked out for Washington, LA, Philly). 

And Bryce Young isn't that kind of QB. He's another Alabama plug and play on an offense full of 4 and 5 star players QB, who have collectively amounted to jack squat in the NFL. This rates up there with the 2018 Tank for Tua campaign.

Again, under no circumstances do you move capital around in preparation for a guy 2 years ahead of time, and not for someone who has all of 13 starts in college, many of which were against teams where the overall talent disparity meant that anything less than a near perfect game would indicate a letdown. 

Miami? Florida? LSU? New Mexico State? 

1/3 of the teams he played fired their HC or are pretty much about to.

Mercer? Lol. Southern Miss? L.O.L. 

Auburn exposed him, and they're hardly "good".  

Half of his opponents this year were really not good teams. What were his stiff outings? Ole Miss? A&M? Georgia, who had an even more laughable schedule and got shown up? 

Nah, any Bryce Young talk right now is waaaay premature.

Why is being a plug and play at Bama a negative? Hurts, Tua, and Jones are all having some success at the NFL level as young QB’s with upside. 

Very few QB’s come in and light the NCAA on fire in their first year as a starter. Young put together a Heisman caliber season and showed up on the biggest stage when his team was an underdog. 

He checks all of the arm talent, football IQ, pocket presence, improvisation, and leadership skill boxes. The only question mark for me is his smallish frame.

Anyhow, we can agree to disagree for now but I’ll have this conversation bookmarked for when he is draft eligible and he is a Top-5 lock. I’m betting that your take on him being a standard “plug-and-play” Alabama QB will not age well. 

1 minute ago, jpaulthe1st said:

Why is being a plug and play at Bama a negative? Hurts, Tua, and Jones are all having some success at the NFL level as young QB’s with upside. 

Very few QB’s come in and light the NCAA on fire in their first year as a starter. Young put together a Heisman caliber season and showed up on the biggest stage when his team was an underdog. 

He checks all of the arm talent, football IQ, pocket presence, improvisation, and leadership skill boxes. The only question mark for me is his smallish frame.

Anyhow, we can agree to disagree for now but I’ll have this conversation bookmarked for when he is draft eligible and he is a Top-5 lock. I’m betting that your take on him being a standard “plug-and-play” Alabama QB will not age well. 

Hurts is almost a lock to get replaced. 

Tua had a difficult time beating out Ryan Fitzpatrick, has hardly lit the world on fire, and has been under almost endless speculation about being replaced. Make no mistake, Tua is still starting right now only by virtue of Deshaun Watson being an idiot and the Dolphins not getting that trade done. 

Jones stepped into a dream scenario, has played a pretty easy schedule, and is getting recognized for being the best of a really pathetic rookie QB crop. 

I think my take on plug-in Alabama QBs has aged perfectly fine and will continue to do so. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jpaulthe1st said:

The fact that you think Tua and Hurts are "having success" tell me all I need to know.  As @ronjon1990 points out both are on the hot seat and could very easily be replaced at the end of the year. 

I know almost nothing about Young but the fact that you're posting a Madden like trade scenario for an unproven college Qb on a semipro team littered with talent is pretty ridiculous.   How have Bama QB's that went pro fared over the last 30 years?  Nearly every one are bums.  It's easy to play QB in college with a semi pro surrounding cast and a stingy D littered with 1st round talent.  

Thankfully you'll never be a GM because if you trade Carr, mortgage the future and draft a bum like "tank for Tua" your GM career will be short lived and the Raiders will be in purgatory for at least 5 years riding your bum QB mistake and having no draft picks. 

Edited by Frankie2Gunz
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

The fact that you think Tua and Hurts are "having success" tell me all I need to know.  As @ronjon1990 points out both are on the hot seat and could very easily be replaced at the end of the year. 

I know almost nothing about Young but the fact that you're posting a Madden like trade scenario for an unproven college Qb on a semipro team littered with talent is pretty ridiculous.   How have Bama QB's that went pro fared over the last 30 years?  Nearly every one are bums.  It's easy to play QB in college with a semi pro surrounding cast and a stingy D littered with 1st round talent.  

Thankfully you'll never be a GM because if you trade Carr, mortgage the future and draft a bum like "tank for Tua" your GM career will be short lived and the Raiders will be in purgatory for at least 5 years riding your bum QB mistake and having no draft picks. 

Tua has the Dolphins on a 5 game winning streak and is growing into a competent, if unspectacular, young QB with the upside to grow into more. Hurts has had his ups and downs but the bottom line is that both have performed better in their first full season than Carr did in 2014. 

Also, You completely destroy any credibility when you make sweeping statements about the limited upside of a college QB based on the school he attends. It’s overly simplistic and lacks any real analysis. But I’m not surprised because from what I’ve seen that’s your M.O….questioning everyone else’s football knowledge while failing to go more than an inch deep in any of your own analysis. 

I admit the trade scenario was a little bit of a stretch but we are on the cusp of a regime change and I don’t think it’s out of the realm of possibility that we will be looking at turnover at the QB position in the next 1-2 years. 

7 minutes ago, jpaulthe1st said:

Tua has the Dolphins on a 5 game winning streak and is growing into a competent, if unspectacular, young QB with the upside to grow into more. Hurts has had his ups and downs but the bottom line is that both have performed better in their first full season than Carr did in 2014. 

Also, You completely destroy any credibility when you make sweeping statements about the limited upside of a college QB based on the school he attends. It’s overly simplistic and lacks any real analysis. But I’m not surprised because from what I’ve seen that’s your M.O….questioning everyone else’s football knowledge while failing to go more than an inch deep in any of your own analysis. 

I admit the trade scenario was a little bit of a stretch but we are on the cusp of a regime change and I don’t think it’s out of the realm of possibility that we will be looking at turnover at the QB position in the next 1-2 years. 

Over Tua's last 5 games he averages 222 and 1 TD a game.  The fact that your attributing the 5 game winning streak to Tua tells me all I need to know.  Clearly you don't watch football if you think Tua is the reason they are winning those games.  

Also tell me how many "stud" Qb's Bama has produced over the last 30 years?  You obviously don't think surrounding talent helps prop up QB play?  That is why I am sure you're defending Tua who looks terrible as an NFL QB and could very well be replaced after this year.