Rugby Thread

48 1/2ers

Don't forget that famous kiwi sailing prowess...

(Pictured: Highly Advanced NZ Sailboat)

0_5.jpg

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

23 hours ago, texans_uk said:

Lord of the Rings

Overrated garbage.

Try sitting down & watching the whole trilogy from start to finish without wishing for merciful death. Add in the Hobbit trilogy, & its pure torture. (Frozen pea dinner all week kind of torture)

Anyway... 

This is the best ever film to come out of New Zealand.  (Everything else sucks)

• Like 1

On 10/01/2018 at 7:19 AM, texans_uk said:

They had very little else. 

They treat children's Rugby like high school football in the states. 

This is accurate.

The top is perhaps a little harsh? ...  I would say there is a natural Kiwi affinity for the great outdoors. BUT, recent obesity records may suggest that that has been overtaken by a love of junk food, dranking, Netflix, & the interwebz. 

Also... 

NZ has its own slightly more relevant, but equally annoying version of Lily Allen...

Lorde-cover_3123551b.jpg

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On 09/01/2018 at 9:23 PM, Hunter2_1 said:

Yeah, very well drilled up here. Especially Ireland (effers). NZ just always have the best players though. It's a conveyor belt. Carter retires and in comes Barrett.....:|

They produce a lot of talent, but lose a lot to the North. And, it's only getting worse. Lima Sopoaga has just signed to head abroad, leaving NZ in search once again for a backup to Barrett just one year out from the RWC.

Losing both Cruden, &  Sopoaga is a huge blow for NZ's chances in 2019. Depth is crucial, & NZ are short at one of the most important positions on the field. Remember, it was Carter's backups that were influential in securing the 2011 RWC.  

• 2 weeks later...

News:

RD169.jpg

Top-level rugby doping fears as it's revealed just 16 match day tests were carried out in the Aviva Premiership in an entire season:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/article-5292783/Serious-concern-anti-doping-English-rugby.html

Serious concerns have been raised about anti-doping procedures in top-level English rugby, with the extent to which players are being tested in the Aviva Premiership described by some club officials as ‘worryingly inadequate’.

The Mail on Sunday has spoken to a number of Premiership insiders who fear the integrity of their sport is under threat because of a lack of funding for UK Anti-Doping (UKAD), a lack of investment by the Rugby Football Union (RFU) in testing and a lack of focus on their top-flight club competition.

One Premiership club have had UKAD testers at just one home match this season, with officials aware of only one out-of-competition visit. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Don't know if anything will come of this, but I've always thought rugby's anti-doping procedures were poor. 

Seems like only a matter of time before we eventually get a rugby doping scandal.  

European_Rugby_Champions_Cup_Logo.pngEuropean_Rugby_Challenge_Cup_Logo.png

2017/18 - Champions Cup / Challenge Cup - Results - Rnd 5/6:

Champions Cup - Rnd 5/6:

(RND 5)

kX2y5CL.png

(RND 6)

UfwrEu6.png

Challenge Cup - Rnd 5/6:

(RND 5)

loCE81M.png

(RND 6)

BIcsV4V.png

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Links - (Scores / Match Reports / Stats / Table / Video Highlights):

~ Champions Cup ~

http://www.epcrugby.com/matchcentre/fixtures_champions_cup.php?includeref=21924&nocache=1&season=2017-2018&round=6

~ Challenge Cup ~

http://www.epcrugby.com/matchcentre/fixtures_european_rugby_challenge_cup.php?includeref=22185&nocache=1&season=2017-2018&round=6

2017/18 - Champions Cup / Challenge Cup - Final Pool - Results / Stats:

(Champions Cup)

(Pool 1)

kNIcKvW.png

(Pool 2)

Yeno1fv.png

(Pool 3)

IPPs8sD.png

(Pool 4)

T9agq93.png

(Pool 5)

i9O5u2k.png

(Link)

http://www.epcrugby.com/europeanrugbychampionscup/pools/index.php

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(Challenge Cup)

(Pool 1)

PtEWOIw.png

(Pool 2)

wy1Pqki.png

(Pool 3)

V5gTUyQ.png

(Pool 4)

V1L710t.png

(Pool 5)

EdmoSV1.png

(Link)

http://www.epcrugby.com/europeanrugbychallengecup/pools/index.php

Thoughts / Observations...  

- The winner of the Champions Cup is coming out of the Pro14. And, it's going to be either, Leinster, or Scarlets. (My money is on Leinster) 

-  Newcastle is a legitimate chance to take the Challenge Cup. 

- It has been an overall disappointing season in Europe from the Aviva teams. 

- The Champions Cup QF lineup of matches is top-shelf.

- Scarlets v Toulon was a brilliant game. Racing 92 v Munster the week earlier was quality as well.

- Racing 92's new stadium (U Arena) has a nice exterior, but looks like a giant movie theatre inside. Very strange for a rugby ground.

(U Arena  - Exterior)

Arena%2092_vue%20a%C3%A9rienne_rec_0.jpg

(U Arena - Interior)

7468380_37de003c-e769-11e7-9746-b896287d

Edited by Marc MacGyver

On 1/13/2018 at 2:10 AM, Marc MacGyver said:

This is accurate.

The top is perhaps a little harsh? ...  I would say there is a natural Kiwi affinity for the great outdoors. BUT, recent obesity records may suggest that that has been overtaken by a love of junk food, dranking, Netflix, & the interwebz. 

Also... 

NZ has its own slightly more relevant, but equally annoying version of Lily Allen...

Lorde-cover_3123551b.jpg

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

They produce a lot of talent, but lose a lot to the North. And, it's only getting worse. Lima Sopoaga has just signed to head abroad, leaving NZ in search once again for a backup to Barrett just one year out from the RWC.

Losing both Cruden, &  Sopoaga is a huge blow for NZ's chances in 2019. Depth is crucial, & NZ are short at one of the most important positions on the field. Remember, it was Carter's backups that were influential in securing the 2011 RWC.  

It’s all good Richie Moanga is going to be a very good back up and might even push Barret back to 15.

On 27/01/2018 at 6:53 PM, hornbybrown said:

It’s all good Richie Moanga is going to be a very good back up and might even push Barret back to 15.

Yeah, he came on strong last year. But to go from 3-deep proven talent, to blooding newbies one year out from a WC - is not ideal.

So, what's the current pecking order?

1) B.Barrett 2) R.Mo'unga 3) J.Barrett / D.McKenzie. Outside of Beauden, that's a pretty raw group. 

On 27/01/2018 at 11:46 PM, LeeEvans said:

@Marc MacGyver Those are quality posts. I'm going to try and find a way to follow a lot more of the European stuff. You doing anything for the start of Six Nations? 

Really looking forward to Wales v Scotland.

Lee, I'll put up the Six Nations teams, fixtures, results, & news - prior, & throughout the duration of the tournament... And, possibly do something for the new Super Rugby season too.

Also, I'll probably do a - Mens / Womens - Rugby Sevens 2017/18 Season - results dump, after the Hamilton leg of the circuit this weekend. 

Plus... I'll post any interesting articles I find on various rugby sites from around the globe. (Mainly rugby strongholds)  

Edited by Marc MacGyver

8 hours ago, Marc MacGyver said:

Lee, I'll put up the Six Nations teams, fixtures, results, & news - prior, & throughout the duration of the tournament... And, possibly do something for the new Super Rugby season too.

Also, I'll probably do a - Mens / Womens - Rugby Sevens 2017/18 Season - results dump, after the Hamilton leg of the circuit this weekend. 

Plus... I'll post any interesting articles I find on various rugby sites from around the globe. (Mainly rugby strongholds)  

Awesome! It's nice to finally have consistent access to Rugby. NBC Sports has the rights to the Aviva Premier League and the Six Nations which is great for American viewers and should be a good way for me to learn a little bit more about the finer points of the game. 

• Like 1

2018 - NatWest Six Nations - Squads / ENG / FRA / IRE:

6%20nations%2018.jpg

l2be21x.png

TkZVKZy.png

kRCTk40.png

u069TT5.png

P46YNGP.png

qcZ3C1X.png

MrjuvLL.png

FBYsroF.png

sajN6Wv.png