The Early Elite of the 2022 Draft

RaidersAreOne

I really like Deangelo Malone, I think he could be a good fit for the dolphins hybrid defense, also D’Jordan Strong is a mid round CB I like a lot, smaller guy but good ball hawk and can play both man and zone very well. Very very aggressive for the ball.

I know this is a lofty comparison and I’m not saying that he is this person but the way Jalen Tolbert catches the ball and the way he runs reminds me of Jerry Rice. I haven’t seen too much of Tolbert route running but from what I have see that’s who he reminds me of. Tolbert speed is elite and he makes a lot of catches in coverage, he has one touchdown catch that really stood out, he was in triple coverage and got drilled as he caught the ball but he held on through the catch and scored a TD. I recommend everyone check out Justbombsproductions on YouTube, a lot of great highlights videos there.

• Like 1

On 5/6/2021 at 11:20 AM, MSURacerDT55 said:

-Hot take: Sauce Gardner will push for CB1, he may not make it but he is damn good in his own right

-Other guys: Bubba Bolden, MyJai Sanders, George Karlafitis, David Bell, Boye Mafe

Not a chance he beats out Stingley

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Cutler06 said:

Hey, we can revisit this after the draft, right ??? I can admit I'm wrong if I am, can you ??

I'm not sure what you are looking for here bro, you mean wrong about making a push to be #1 but not quite? (Conceding that Stingley is the better player). So are you saying Gardner is going to suck? Why is the draft the proper time to revisit this? Like, what are we doing here bud?

1 hour ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

I'm not sure what you are looking for here bro, you mean wrong about making a push to be #1 but not quite? (Conceding that Stingley is the better player). So are you saying Gardner is going to suck? Why is the draft the proper time to revisit this? Like, what are we doing here bud?

My contention that Gardner wouldn't surpass Stingley seemed to be scoffed at by you. I get you're a Sauce fan, but from what I've seen Stingley is a Generation talent at CB, don't see that high of a ceiling with Gardner, who will be a fine CB (I never questioned his ability, just your "Hot Take"). And "why wait to revisit after the draft" seems like a stupid question given these posts, how else would we be able to validate your "Hot Take" vs. my rebuttal ??

Edited by Cutler06

4 hours ago, Cutler06 said:

My contention that Gardner wouldn't surpass Stingley seemed to be scoffed at by you. I get you're a Sauce fan, but from what I've seen Stingley is a Generation talent at CB, don't see that high of a ceiling with Gardner, who will be a fine CB (I never questioned his ability, just your "Hot Take"). And "why wait to revisit after the draft" seems like a stupid question given these posts, how else would we be able to validate your "Hot Take" vs. my rebuttal ??

Stingley honestly sucked last year.  DeVonta Smith killed him when they played, and did not get a INT all season after behind hyped as a potential Heisman favorite and a dude who was going to play both ways last year, also with special teams and make an impact that way also.  He underachieved last year, sure on paper is the best corner in the nation potentially but last year was a clear disappointment for him.  It will be interesting what he does next year.

Granted Gardner also has a ways to go in terms of improving his overall tackling ability, technique and toughness but in terms of consistent production two years in a row he was arguably more consistent.  I do not have him higher than Stingley though right now but that is assuming Stingley plays up to his potential this year unlike last season.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Stingley honestly sucked last year.  DeVonta Smith killed him when they played, and did not get a INT all season after behind hyped as a potential Heisman favorite and a dude who was going to play both ways last year, also with special teams and make an impact that way also.  He underachieved last year, sure on paper is the best corner in the nation potentially but last year was a clear disappointment for him.  It will be interesting what he does next year.

Granted Gardner also has a ways to go in terms of improving his overall tackling ability, technique and toughness but in terms of consistent production two years in a row he was arguably more consistent.  I do not have him higher than Stingley though right now but that is assuming Stingley plays up to his potential this year unlike last season.

Watching Stingley, he’s got great instincts, very fluid and looks like a shut-down CB to me

1 hour ago, Cutler06 said:

Watching Stingley, he’s got great instincts, very fluid and looks like a shut-down CB to me

Yeah sure but he did get beat last year a lot and yeah DeVonta Smith who many did not like during the draft process because of whatever reason, he freaking killed Derek Stingley Jr.

5fcd8abeae479.image.gif

Beat in the jump ball situation and Stingley seemed lost as to where the ball was.

giphy.gif

Beat with speed and missed the tackle.

Devonta2.gif

Did not get the ball but someone fell down on the play and would have given up a catch if the ball was thrown accurately.

76e895_6e28746ac3fd4dfb8fbfe39efe6fe4df~

Beat on the release easily.

Yeah Stingley has ability, but you say he was not greatly disappointing last year?  Because fact is he was.  

1 hour ago, D82 said:

Correct me if I'm wrong...but wasn't Stingley dealing with a variety of injuries last year? Even missed some time because of them? 

And... Y'know, DeVonta Smith did go 10th overall... A unanimous All American.... and the first WR in 29 years to win the Heisman. That's not just some dude beating him, that's arguably the best WR in CFB doing that.

People have bad games. Crucifying a guy because he had a bad game against an elite WR isn't exactly something any rational person should do.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

And... Y'know, DeVonta Smith did go 10th overall... A unanimous All American.... and the first WR in 29 years to win the Heisman. That's not just some dude beating him, that's arguably the best WR in CFB doing that.

People have bad games. Crucifying a guy because he had a bad game against an elite WR isn't exactly something any rational person should do.

There are multiple people on this board that ripped DeVonta Smith as being this suspect prospect who is going to be not so great in the pros, I thought that was complete BS all together.  But yeah that is not just some dude beating him of course, but Stingley got ripped up and it was not only by DeVonta Smith.  He got beat by a few other decent WRs as well.   Derek Stingley Jr's performance last year was disappointing to say the least.   To say he did not disappoint and was great last year, well that actually is something a "rational" person would not do if they watched him play.

Sure he can change all of that around with improving his play but facts are facts and he got ripped multiple times just in these clips from one WR.  So maybe he is not this all everything all world greatest thing since Champ Bailey or Charles Woodson type of corner.  

Will see how he does next year, but again he DID disappoint last year no doubt about it regardless.

• Like 1