The Early Elite of the 2022 Draft

RaidersAreOne

2 hours ago, Danger said:

Ah I see Stingley's been in the spotlight for so long now that the whole "Pick apart his worst game film to grade him as a prospect" has occurred. 

Apparently its the "in" thing to look past the flaws of a popular prospect unless it's Justin Fields.

Edited by MSURacerDT55

7 hours ago, Danger said:

Ah I see Stingley's been in the spotlight for so long now that the whole "Pick apart his worst game film to grade him as a prospect" has occurred. 

Pick apart his worst game film?  Those clips against DeVonta Smith were last year and the year before, it was not just one year.  And to pretend that was good corner play there in those clips, no it was not and a lot of it was footwork or simply not being in position at all.  Simply put the guy is not Champ Bailey or Charles Woodson because no freaking way either one of those two looked like that at any point in time in their college career against one WR, same with Patrick Peterson and other top corner prospects.  Beat like a drum two years in a row against the same receiver, no that did not really happen to those guys.

And putting it out there Derek Stingley Jr in his interview seems very aloof and a bit soft in how he spoke, maybe he is just odd on camera but he did not seem that confident in how he spoke about football and how he presented himself in general.  Maybe it was just an odd interview for some reason, just seemed kind of dazed on camera but maybe all college football players are now if they get paid $10,000 each for a 30 min interview like Spiller and Richardson on Texas A&M or already have $1 mil in endorsements like Bryce Young has and he has never even started a game yet.

College football has completely changed, and maybe that is great but then again the dudes do get what free health care, dental care, free room/board, free food and tuition but I guess they each need $50 thou-$1 mil on the side just in case....    All for the athlete but if some of these guys will make $100k+ this year, doubt they will be super motivated to be a student, go to class much less improve at football if they are already getting paid like a semi/pro athlete.  Will see how it goes....

• Like 1

On 7/22/2021 at 4:19 PM, Ozzy said:

Pick apart his worst game film?  Those clips against DeVonta Smith were last year and the year before, it was not just one year.  And to pretend that was good corner play there in those clips, no it was not and a lot of it was footwork or simply not being in position at all.  Simply put the guy is not Champ Bailey or Charles Woodson because no freaking way either one of those two looked like that at any point in time in their college career against one WR, same with Patrick Peterson and other top corner prospects.  Beat like a drum two years in a row against the same receiver, no that did not really happen to those guys.

And putting it out there Derek Stingley Jr in his interview seems very aloof and a bit soft in how he spoke, maybe he is just odd on camera but he did not seem that confident in how he spoke about football and how he presented himself in general.  Maybe it was just an odd interview for some reason, just seemed kind of dazed on camera but maybe all college football players are now if they get paid $10,000 each for a 30 min interview like Spiller and Richardson on Texas A&M or already have $1 mil in endorsements like Bryce Young has and he has never even started a game yet.

College football has completely changed, and maybe that is great but then again the dudes do get what free health care, dental care, free room/board, free food and tuition but I guess they each need $50 thou-$1 mil on the side just in case....    All for the athlete but if some of these guys will make $100k+ this year, doubt they will be super motivated to be a student, go to class much less improve at football if they are already getting paid like a semi/pro athlete.  Will see how it goes....

Yep it is going to change things negatively in my opinion but we will see. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Jeezla said:

I think he'll end up being WR1

Physically yeah he is the biggest, faster and strongest one of the top guys in the nation.  Garrett Wilson I have being drafted one spot ahead right now but I do have Burks as my #1 WR right now, and if Ohio State has issues with their young QB Burks could easily be ahead of Olave and Wilson if they have down years.  

19 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Physically yeah he is the biggest, faster and strongest one of the top guys in the nation.  Garrett Wilson I have being drafted one spot ahead right now but I do have Burks as my #1 WR right now, and if Ohio State has issues with their young QB Burks could easily be ahead of Olave and Wilson if they have down years.  

I actually think the opposite, I think by mid season there will be a lot of Stroud talk, and I think Wilson is set to go off, they are locked in down there 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

I actually think the opposite, I think by mid season there will be a lot of Stroud talk, and I think Wilson is set to go off, they are locked in down there 

Maybe Ohio State will forever have these great QBs coming in and it never takes a dip, but I would be pretty shocked if any of these freshman instantly are as good as Justin Field has been for them over the past two years.  Lucky for the young QBs Wilson and Olave will make they look better than they probably are.  Will see who develops as that third and four WR option something they have had for multiple years now.

The interior OL is potentially a question mark and thus the run game could be a question mark as well.  And that LB core is crazy weak compared to what it has been especially last year, they really need someone to step up because that is not a great group on paper but will see who shows out.  And the secondary is nothing great either.  Sure some guys could develop but honestly outside of Wilson and Olave at WR they have a ton of question marks.  Ruckert will help to provide another weapon and having decent tackles will help the young QBs also.

But that is not really the point, the point is Burks is physically more elite than Wilson or Olave and potentially just as fast.  He has more athletic upside, bigger frame and just as good of hands catching the football.  It is not out of the question to see Burks be the #1 WR drafted in next years draft.  Put Burks with Justin Fields and that offense last year and it is not even a question of who the best WR this year is potentially, his QB last year was Feleipe Franks and still did really well despite being on a team with a suspect QB and not a really develop offensive system either but they will surprise some this year because Arkansas could be decent and they have a lot of very solid players.  Still clearly not as talented as Ohio State is but Jalen Catalon is better than any DB on Ohio State arguably and the LBs on Arkansas as a group have the potential to be a much better group than Ohio State's LBs as well.

But yeah Garrett Wilson should be a lock to being a top 10 pick most likely and he has the edge over Olave who is also most likely a 1st rounder.  

On 8/23/2021 at 1:37 PM, Ozzy said:

Maybe Ohio State will forever have these great QBs coming in and it never takes a dip, but I would be pretty shocked if any of these freshman instantly are as good as Justin Field has been for them over the past two years.  Lucky for the young QBs Wilson and Olave will make they look better than they probably are.  Will see who develops as that third and four WR option something they have had for multiple years now.

The interior OL is potentially a question mark and thus the run game could be a question mark as well.  And that LB core is crazy weak compared to what it has been especially last year, they really need someone to step up because that is not a great group on paper but will see who shows out.  And the secondary is nothing great either.  Sure some guys could develop but honestly outside of Wilson and Olave at WR they have a ton of question marks.  Ruckert will help to provide another weapon and having decent tackles will help the young QBs also.

But that is not really the point, the point is Burks is physically more elite than Wilson or Olave and potentially just as fast.  He has more athletic upside, bigger frame and just as good of hands catching the football.  It is not out of the question to see Burks be the #1 WR drafted in next years draft.  Put Burks with Justin Fields and that offense last year and it is not even a question of who the best WR this year is potentially, his QB last year was Feleipe Franks and still did really well despite being on a team with a suspect QB and not a really develop offensive system either but they will surprise some this year because Arkansas could be decent and they have a lot of very solid players.  Still clearly not as talented as Ohio State is but Jalen Catalon is better than any DB on Ohio State arguably and the LBs on Arkansas as a group have the potential to be a much better group than Ohio State's LBs as well.

But yeah Garrett Wilson should be a lock to being a top 10 pick most likely and he has the edge over Olave who is also most likely a 1st rounder.  

I'm worried Catalon could be another Paris Ford. His Nike sparq testing out of HS was pretty weak. I love his style of play, but he's one of those guys I have to see at the combine before I write his name with ink on my want list. Doubt his combine would be nearly as bad as Paris Ford, but I need to see him run 4.59.

1 hour ago, Jeezla said:

I'm worried Catalon could be another Paris Ford. His Nike sparq testing out of HS was pretty weak. I love his style of play, but he's one of those guys I have to see at the combine before I write his name with ink on my want list. Doubt his combine would be nearly as bad as Paris Ford, but I need to see him run 4.59.

Yeah and Richard LeCounte is slow, obviously 40 times are not always accurate and not always indicative of a players abilities, LeCounte has looked awesome for the Browns in the preseason.  

I did not see Ford play in the preseason but Rams do already have Jordan Fuller, Taylor Rapp, JR Reed, Nick Scott, Terrell Burgess and Jake Gervase at safety so pretty hard team to make at that spot.