2022 NFL Draft 7 Round ranking (Prospect Standouts):

Ozzy

6 hours ago, CWood21 said:

George Karlaftis is someone I've had pegged as a potential Packers pick going into the season, and I'm glad he's continuing to play well

What as a potential 3/4 DE?  Not sure he could play 3/4 OLB, no way he is as athletic as Gary is but will see.  I think he might fit better in a normal 4/3 though and he has such a high motor and is a big effort guy so should do well.  

These other guys could be great 3/4 DEs, Leal probably ends up as a 4/3 DT but could also play 4/3 DE if asked, same with Wooden so who knows if they end up as a 3/4 DE which is probably not the best use of their abilities.  Tre Williams has done some good things this year and Paschal is very versatile and could be a 3/4 OLB possibly.  Uwazurike and Otomewo for sure have the size some teams want at that spot.  

George Karlaftis Purdue JR
DeMarvin Leal Texas A&M JR
Colby Wooden Auburn RS SOPH
Tre Williams Arkansas RS SR
Zachary Carter Florida RS SR
Joshua Paschal Kentucky RS SR
Eyioma Uwazurike Iowa State RS SR
Glen Logan LSU SR
Esezi Otomewo Minnesota RS SR
Mandy Alonso Virginia RS SR
Matt Henningsen Wisconsin SR
Labryan Ray Alabama RS SR

22 hours ago, Ozzy said:

...........What as a potential 3/4 DE?  Not sure he could play 3/4 OLB, no way he is as athletic as Gary is but will see.  I think he might fit better in a normal 4/3 though and he has such a high motor and is a big effort guy so should do well.  

I would view him as a big edge rusher more than a 3-4 DE. Green Bay loves those oversized OLB pass rushers. If they are talented enough they can sometimes take snaps as linemen (as Z.Smith often did), but most snaps they are wider than a 5 tech. What bigger rushers lack in twitch and bend they make up for in power.......and generally they fare better stopping the run. (J.Peppers, Z.Smith, P.Smith and Rashan Gary, are examples of the kind of players the Packers like there).

Getting back to drafting, the type the Packers prefer is more Davenport than Landry (as they were in the 2018 draft). Davenport was taller, bigger (like 265lb) and tended to win more with speed-to-power, while Landry was more athletic, had better bend and speed (see his 3 cone).

I do think Karlaftis goes top 15, but that is little more than a hunch.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive

21 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

I would view him as a big edge rusher more than a 3-4 DE. Green Bay loves those oversized OLB pass rushers. If they are talented enough they can sometimes take snaps as linemen (as Z.Smith often did), but most snaps they are wider than a 5 tech. What bigger rushers lack in twitch and bend they make up for in power.......and generally they fare better stopping the run. (J.Peppers, Z.Smith, P.Smith and Rashan Gary, are examples of the kind of players the Packers like there).

Getting back to drafting, the type the Packers prefer is more Davenport than Landry (as they were in the 2018 draft). Davenport was taller, bigger (like 265lb) and tended to win more with speed-to-power, while Landry was more athletic, had better bend and speed (see his 3 cone).

I do think Karlaftis goes top 15, but that is little more than a hunch.

Julius Peppers succeeds anywhere you put him and he was one of the best athletes in the history of the NFL at the DE position and I would not call him a pure 3/4 OLB but later in his career sure he could succeed basically anywhere.  So not sure he is a comparison at all for Karlaftis as a bigger 3/4 OLB though.  Z. Smith clearly improved as an athlete greatly compared to what he was in college and when healthy is a very impressive physical athlete in terms of his size and speed, Preston Smith is very impressive athletically as well especially with is length.  Rashan Gary had one of the best combines ever getting a 4.58 40 at 277 pounds with a 38" vertical.

Not sure Karlaftis will put up athletic numbers like that but if so yeah maybe he could be a 3/4 OLB, but from what he shows on the field not sure he could pull it off but will see.  Would be shocked if he is anywhere close to those numbers Gary put up as a bigger 270+ DL.  

But sure they do not ask them to cover as much and it is not as big of a deal most of the time.

I assume they would target Nik Bonitto, Myjai Sanders, Amare Barno, Adam Anderson, Will McDonald IV or Brenton Cox Jr as potential 3/4 OLB types because they already got the big boy in Gary might want a more athletic edge 3/4 OLB opposite him in the future.  

Or would wait till the later rounds and get a potential steal in Jermaine Johnson, Christopher Allen, JoJo Domann, Joshua Paschal, Darrian Beavers or DeAngelo Malone.  All who could be a good sleeper pick as a 3/4 OLB and all have some good versatility outside of Allen who clearly has some injury issues but looked great when healthy this year.

On 10/24/2021 at 9:05 PM, TVScout said:

I've watched both a lot and neither has first round tools. But there are enough stupid GMs to pick one or both in the 1st. 

Absurd lol.

There is 0 chance someone as powerful, disruptive, and techincally sound as Karlaftis falls out of the first

On 10/16/2021 at 7:53 AM, Ozzy said:

To be fair I have Walker 5th on the top rated JR RB class, arguably could be moved up to 3rd but I need to watch him more so yeah that is early declare potential being that high no doubt.  And sure the RB shelf life thing is an issue, then again no RB will be picked in the 1st in 2022 possibly, or there is a big chance that happens so that is not great either so these guys are not that elite compared to some backs in the past, thus maybe staying is not the worst thing either.  Not sure Walker is better than Spiller, or Breece Hall, maybe not even Ibrahim but he has been hurt and might not declare.  And yes what he does against the big schools means a ton.

Did that 197 yard, 5 TD performance against the 2nd best defense in the country help KWIII?  He has such great vision, speed, and is hard to tackle.  I think he will be the first or second RB drafted this year.  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Jeezla said:

Thoughts on these LB's?
Owen Pappoe?
Nakobe Dean?
Brandon Smith?

And also Zachary Carter from Florida?

Owen Pappoe I like but I think he needs another year, I thought he would have been way more productive than he has been this season especially with all the experience and talent around him.  So he has kind of disappointed a bit I feel.

Brandon Smith I have as a 2nd rounder but could potentially climb up into the 1st round, he has had a great season for a very impressive Penn State defense that is easily one of the best in the nation.

Nakobe Dean had a standout game against Florida, that coverage ability was impressive but not sure he is a super star.  But if Patrick Queen can be a 1st round pick and put in a 3/4 defense as a athletic coverage ILB with speed Dean should be able to do the same thing, and could argue Dean has been just as impressive if not more so than Queen was that last year at LSU.  So I will have to include him in my draft rankings and might have him as a late 1st or 2nd rounder potentially.

Carter is ok but I do not think he is some super star though, solid player but is rated highly by most because there are not many other elite DTs around in this up coming draft.  

2 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Did that 197 yard, 5 TD performance against the 2nd best defense in the country help KWIII?  He has such great vision, speed, and is hard to tackle.  I think he will be the first or second RB drafted this year.  

Absolutely, I will have to go back and watch some more of it but yeah it was a standout game and changes my mind a bit about him, especially if he can keep this up.  Scat back with a great burst and has big time playmaking ability.  Still not totally sold on him as some absolutely elite RB though I would take in the 1st round but sure could be in the conversation for being the 1st back taken.  Spiller and Breece Hall are still in the mix, both of them to me just seems physically more thick and strong, even though their weight is not that much different than Walker.  Walker does seem smaller and more thin and put together than those guys are but hard to argue with his amazing production. Hall and Spiller are more well rounded backs especially Spiller who is solid in the passing game and a good blocker, I guess same with Hall really.  Walker is not asked to do those things as much so not sure how good he is at them especially pass catching.   

Was kind of a blow lead by Michigan, what 30-14 lead with 6:47 or so left in the 3rd.  Impressive comeback no question by Michigan State.  

• Like 1

On 10/27/2021 at 5:17 PM, Ozzy said:

What as a potential 3/4 DE?  Not sure he could play 3/4 OLB, no way he is as athletic as Gary is but will see.  I think he might fit better in a normal 4/3 though and he has such a high motor and is a big effort guy so should do well.  

I'm not sure he's a 34 DE.  His frame looks pretty maxed out as it is.  But as @OneTwoSixFive mentioned, the Packers prefer their EDGE on the bigger side even if it gives up some of the twitchiness.  The Packers opted for Rashan Gary instead Brian Burns because he was a safer bet to be a complete pass rusher, even if Burns had more upside as a pure pass rusher.  You're not asking your 34 OLB to do a ton of man coverage, really only as a wrinkle to give offenses a different look.  It's largely more zone coverage, which he seems capable of doing.

• Like 1

Week 9:  Prospect standouts

*Kenneth Walker III Michigan State JR RB:  Amazing game by him, when they looked down and out and ripped off huge runs and was obviously the big scoring threat for that Spartan team.  Amazing season he is having for a surprisingly solid Michigan State team.  Tough win by him, but Walker is a standout and will have a choice come draft time.  Still not totally sold on him as a 1st round pick but is easily one of the top backs potentially in the 2022 draft.  Wish he was more well rounded in terms of blocking and pass catching but they do not ask him to do a ton of that, especially pass catching.  

*Kyren Williams Notre Dame RS SOPH RB:  Amazing game by him, had one of the best runs of his career in this one.  Really is a fast back with great toughness and is super versatile, can return kicks, has good hands out of the backfield and can run inside or outside.  Super underrated back and is one of the best in the nation despite his OL being very young and a work in progress.  Promising talent no doubt and was key in that Notre Dame win.  

*Nakobe Dean Georgia JR ILB:  Amazing in coverage in that game, made some huge plays and showed some big time range as a ILB.  Is part of a defense that has a lot of solid players but could argue he is the biggest star of them outside of Davis the DT.  Dean has great versatility and with his athletic ability he could be a good solid pro if he shows off that legit speed at the combine.  Would be surprised if he did not declare early with the season he has had, is at worst a 2nd round pick but could be a 1st rounder if he keeps playing at this level.

*Joey Porter Jr Penn State RS SOPH CB:  Played well against a big time WR prospect in Wilson.  Porter and that entire Penn State D really showed up against arguably the best offense in college football.  Still gave up some plays but Porter looks to be one of the best corners in the nation and would be hard to find any corner playing better than he is this season.  With his pedigree and length at corner he could possibly declare as a RS SOPH like I have said before.

*Tyreke Smith Ohio State SR DE:  Probably the best game he played all year, really showed up and was a force on the edge.  Not a huge surprise because he is extremely talented, but was great in this one and a key part to their victory.  Has a good quick twitch to him, long arms and good athletic ability.  Should be a solid 2nd or 3rd round pick in the draft potentially.  

*Arnold Ebiketie Penn State SR DE:  Have brought him up already before but kid played outstanding against one of the best Offensive lines in college football.  Was in the backfield a ton and won off the snap and beat the tackle multiple times and made a very good tackle look not so great.  Constantly can knife into the backfield, very strong edge player and could be playing his way into being a 2nd or late 1st round pick.  

*Brennan Armstrong Virginia RS JR QB:  Another really great game by him, he is easily one of the highest performing QBs in the nation this year.  Has taken that Virginia offense without a lot of high level pass catching weapons outside of Woods and made them one of the best offenses in the nation.  In this game he really got some impressive rush yards on scrambles and showed off some impressive athletic ability.  Big time sleeper prospect at QB, promising talent that has really come out of nowhere and leads the nation in passing yards.

*Boye Mafe Minnesota RS SR DE:  Another good solid game for him and another sack, climbing up the draft rankings no question, will see how he does against the better teams they have coming up on their schedule.  Shows great power and athletic ability off the edge as solid DE.  

*Tyler Allgeier BYU RS SOPH:  Kid is a tank out there and had a great game against a solid Virginia team.  Very compact and powerful, built well and has a nice burst for a back his size.  I doubt he declares early but is talented enough to do so if he wants, very promising player that is a huge part of that BYU offense.  

*Isaiah Foskey Notre Dame RS SOPH DE:  He will have a choice to make, is having a great season as an edge rusher.  Could be a 3/4 OLB or a 4/3 DE, very athletic kid who can make plays and win at the line of scrimmage in pass rusher.  Having a monster year no question about it.  

*Richard Jibunor Troy DE/OLB RS SOPH:  I need to watch him more but looks like a potential super star edge rusher, super athlete that has been really productive this year.  Again have to watch him more but looks like a potential star. 

*Sam Howell UNC JR QB:  Really good game by him, has been a rough year for him and that UNC team but was a good showing at night on the road against a solid Notre Dame team.  Kid has talent there is no question about it but will be interesting what he does after this season, unless they get some wins I bet he returns to leave his mark on the program after such a disappointing year for UNC.

*Curtis Jacobs Penn State SOPH OLB:  Played outstanding in that game and was all over the field making plays.  Probably the best game I have seen him play and was the most impressive linebacker on Penn State in that game which is saying something.  Good athlete who really got into the backfield a lot, one to watch in the future.  

*Jayden Reed Michigan State RS JR WR:  Another really good game by him, love his toughness at the point of the catch.  Not a huge receiver but very strong with his hands and body, good speed and one of the better junior receivers in the nation.  Will be curious what he does this year if he comes out early or not for the draft in this loaded WR class.

*Brandon Council Auburn SR OG:  Huge guard that is pretty powerful and strong on the inside.  Promising player as a potential late round pickup for a power run team in the NFL.  Have to love Council's size and how aggressive he blocks at times, just takes guys out completely.  Interesting talent physically with how strong he is, one to watch as the year goes on.  

*Jahcour Pearson Ole Miss RS SR WR:  Transfer from Western Kentucky, but he is going to be used a lot more as the season goes on for Ole Miss.  Very athletic receiver, built low to the ground and has good change of direction ability, potential slot receiver and will see what he does the rest of the season, my guess is he could be a good 2nd receiver in that offense opposite Drummond.  

Jerron Cage Ohio State RS SR DT:  Awesome game by him, stinks he is already a RS SR though, wish he had more time to develop but honestly I have not noticed him much in his Ohio State career till this season.  Easily one of their higher performing interior DTs on the team, shows up a lot the last few weeks and love the energy he plays with.  Showed solid athletic ability with the return as well.  Could be a late round draft pick come draft time.  

*Sam Williams Ole Miss SR DE:  I have to watch him more but has been really productive as a edge rusher this season, never really stood out to be before despite his sack production.  He is a quick player who can get around the corner, will see how he does as the season goes on could be a decent late round potential 3/4 OLB.

*Jaren Hall BYU RS SOPH QB:  Will be one to watch going forward, really can spin the football and has a strong powerful throwing arm.  Shocking they just have a dude like him to fill right in after Wilson leaves but they do.  Hall is a really talented quarterback and is one to follow in the future.  Has so much arm talent though if he did declare this year he would be drafted I feel with what he has shown just this season.

*Jack Coan Notre Dame SR QB:  Dude just continues to impress at QB for Notre Dame, throws with good timing and is a decent athlete.  Just looks like a different player than he was on Wisconsin, lot more comfortable and fluid.  Could easily be a late round pickup for a team in need of a backup developmental QB.  Solid final season for him no question about it.

Others who impressed:

Chance Campbell Ole Miss SR ILB

Kelee Ringo Georgia RS FR CB

Jalen Nailor Michigan State RS JR WR

Marcus McKethan UNC RS SR OG

Smoke Monday Auburn SR S

Derick Hall Auburn JR DE

Casey Kelly Ole Miss RS SOPH TE

Josh Downs UNC SOPH WR

Bo Nix Auburn JR QB

Nick Broeker Ole Miss JR OT

Lorenzo Styles Jr Notre Dame FR WR

Disappointed:

Nicholas Petit-Frere Ohio State RS JR OT - Very disappointed in his play, Ebiketie got by him constantly it seemed and he got beat a lot I thought in this game.  Still one of the best OT prospects in the entire nation but might have to go back a bit on him, I had him as possibly a top 15 pick, might be a little early for that one with how he looked against Penn State.  But that entire offense did look a little off but have to credit Penn State for a lot of that.  

Anthony Richardson Florida RS FR QB - Did not really expect him to do great against that defense but he looked pretty confused most of the time.  Everyone screaming for him to get into the game more for weeks, now he did and they had to go back to Jones again at QB because of his struggles.  Could be a good learning moment for him though as a quarterback and a potential leader of a football team, still are some processing things he has to work through.  Like any QB, it is a lot harder when you get pressured and things change in terms of coverage.

On 5/10/2021 at 5:50 PM, Ozzy said:

Like Thomas I need to watch Bonitto more.  Honestly not sure he is a 3/4 OLB because he cannot hold the edge and is really just good at getting off the ball quickly and using his speed, he is pretty short also for a 3/4 OLB, no where close to 6-6 or something.

For him to be a potential top 10 pick like Micah Parsons is a freaking laughing joke.  Sure Parsons fell to the 12th pick but in no way on earth is Bonitto like Parsons, Bonitto is not nearly as strong, fast, big or as good of a tackler and cannot get of blocks as well either.  If he is a top 10 pick I would he shocked, promising sure but say Kenneth Murray that kid was a tackling machine and did well in traffic finding the football.  Bonitto seems like just a pass rusher that benefited off a great pass rushing group last year on OU.  Thomas I think has more potential as a pass rusher at the next level than Bonitto but again sure will be interesting how he does this year.  Bonitto never had over 7 tackles in his career yet, never got double digits then obviously either, that is just odd for an apparently great athlete.  Maybe he is just raw still but top 10 seems a little rich but people do go nuts over pass rushers with speed and potential.

Also over the past 10 years OU has not had a great defensive tradition in the NFL.  Gerald McCoy was great and Jordan Phillips is decent but honestly not many good defenders from OU at all.  A guy like Kenneth Murray doing decent is pretty rare for a OU defender, he was recently but usually the OU guys are either a backup DL type, DB or speedy edge rusher/LB type.  Remember Eric Striker back in the day, he was a speed rush end or 3/4 OLB type and had 45 TFLs and 22.5 sacks in basically three years.  Clearly that did not matter, helps that Bonitto is 6-3 but again not ideal build for a 3/4 OLB and not a huge fan of how he is put together, but will see what happens this year.

Could be a promising defense again for OU and already with a great offense and should easily be in the National title hunt.    Bonitto being a top 10 pick at LB with the likes of Parsons who was arguably the #2 best OLB prospect in the last 20 years, yeah not seeing that yet.  Maybe Bonitto could be a Hasson Reddick type, little undersized edge rusher 3/4 OLB type but again will see how he plays this year.  But the top 10 pick Josh Allen, Devin White, Isaiah Simmons type LB freak show, not seeing that yet until he becomes a more well rounded player.  

Noticed you now had Bonitto as a top 10 prospect on your rankings. Can you tell me what you see in him now?

8 minutes ago, Scoundrel said:

Noticed you now had Bonitto as a top 10 prospect on your rankings. Can you tell me what you see in him now?

Technically I would have him more in the 15-20 range but not sure anyone else has stood out enough to put over him.  Petit-Frere I had up there higher but dropped him a bit, same with Sanders and a few others.

Bonitto is very natural as a pass rusher and is very smooth and fluid.  Can really dip down and bend the edge, still is nothing even close to Parsons as a prospect but teams are very desperate for pass rushers especially in a 3/4 defense, also helps him not a ton that no new guys have stood out at the position he plays.  Hutchinson is a true 4/3 DE and has greatly outplayed Bonitto but outside of Thibodeau no other potential 3/4 OLB has out played Bonitto in terms of pure pass rushing so that has helped him in such a ranking greatly.  Also  helps that Will Anderson is not eligible in this draft class.  I still question Bonitto's overall toughness, range, lack of versatility in tackling at the point of attack but he can get after the passer and for many that is all that matters.

But yeah on paper when comparing him to Parsons he absolutely sucks, so in that regard yeah, but so do tons of other players even veterans currently in the NFL, Parsons is outstanding and is playing that way and is easily the defensive rookie of the year.  

Amare Barno and Adam Anderson are two talented potential 3/4 OLBs as well, but I would be more afraid of blocking Bonitto on the edge consistently but will see how the rest of the year goes.  

• Like 1