2022 NFL Draft 7 Round ranking (Prospect Standouts):

Ozzy

8 hours ago, kingseanjohn said:

Thoughts on Barno and Anderson as 43 DE?

Barno is a little thin to be a 4/3 DE I feel but maybe could pull it off it he put on some pounds but might lose some of his quickness.  With his length and athletic ability might be better in a 3/4 but sure he could do it if a team really wants him there.  Anderson I heard was the #2 rated 3/4 OLB by Kiper, not sure I buy that at all, Thibodeau I think ends up in a 3/4 most likely but could do both, Bonitto for sure would end up in a 3/4 as well same with Sanders most likely.  Anderson is good but not sure he is that elite and is surrounded by so much talent on Georgia that helps his production a lot.  They have nine players who are consistently productive in that 3/4 front for Georgia, that helps keep guys clean with so many random guys to worry about.  But like Barno sure they could play in a 4/3 if asked to do so, Anderson probably would do better than Barno though.

Kayvon Thibodeau Oregon JR
Nik Bonitto Oklahoma RS JR
Myjai Sanders Cincinnati
Amare Barno Virginia Tech RS JR
Adam Anderson Georgia
Brenton Cox Jr Florida RS JR
Will McDonald IV Iowa State RS JR

Andre Anthony LSU RS
Ali Gaye LSU

The two LSU guys are kind of a mystery because they are both hurt, loved the versatility Anthony showed last year going from ILB to edge rusher and he was good at it but got hurt and is out the season, Gaye also has upside and potential but he could be in either a 3/4 or 4/3.

Aidan Hutchinson and Tyreke Smith are probably athletic enough to play in a 3/4 but I think would be better in a 4/3 especially Hutchinson who has been the best DE in the nation and is right there with Thibodeau arguably.  But with so many teams doing multiple things and change fronts and going back and forth from a 3/4 to 4/3 with a larger OLB it probably does not matter as much as it used to.

And like @Scoundrel said the rape charges on Anderson are a massive deal.  If true that will change his draft stock greatly.  And it is a huge deal for that defense, he is their best most consistent edge rusher that is stronger at the point of attack than Nolan Smith.  Without Anderson they would be missing a lot.  They do not really have a replacement for him, Quay Walker could maybe move over to a edge player and then put Tindall as the starting ILB.  Or more Carter into the 3/4 DE spot and put Travon Walker on the edge who is very good and is not as athletic as Anderson but could do a good job on the edge for sure.  

4 hours ago, INbengalfan said:

Best CBs for a zone heavy scheme?  I've seen a ton of solid looking M2M guys, but no one has stood out in the games I have watched live yet.  

With football today not sure many corners even play press man to man anymore, most corners play well off the line of scrimmage to avoid getting caught in the wash on wide receiver screens or motion or trick plays.  Most play with their eyes on the QB more often than not, rarely are they right up on the line pressing like they used to because of the offenses of today.   Sure Matt Hankins and Riley Moss could play well in a zone because I believe they do a lot of that at Iowa but not sure here are zone corners around because all corners will have to do that at one time or another so not sure there are zone corners and not zone corners.

Taylor-Britt can do it all, so can Elam in terms of coverage, tackling, versatility and ball skills.  Cory Trice has potential but he has been hurt most of the season, Joey Porter I think could come out early as a RS SOPH and be a 1st or 2nd round pick based on how well he has played.  Gardner on Cinci not sure he has played great this year but has awesome ball skills and awareness so he could play zone if asked as well.

Roger McCreary and Vincent Gray are two sleepers, very good cover corners that can mirror receivers well, could be steals potentially in the draft.

Overall the CB group outside of Porter Jr and Taylor-Britt has been kind of disappointing, Stingley has been hurt most of the year, same with Trice.  Gardner has been good but not great, Elam I still like but makes one wonder when that Florida defense gets rocked like it has been.  It is so hard for corners to be as dominant as they have been before in football today for whatever reason.  Looking at the younger guys FR and SOPH no one really stands out as consistently great, Antonio Johnson I guess stands out but he is more a nickel back/safety type and benefits greatly from that experience front four in the pass rush.  The young guys on Bama Branch and Moore have both really disappointed this year I think based on what they showed last year in terms of promise.  Will see what Kool-Aid does not that Jobe looks to be benched for Bama.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Ozzy said:

With football today not sure many corners even play press man to man anymore, most corners play well off the line of scrimmage to avoid getting caught in the wash on wide receiver screens or motion or trick plays.  Most play with their eyes on the QB more often than not, rarely are they right up on the line pressing like they used to because of the offenses of today.   Sure Matt Hankins and Riley Moss could play well in a zone because I believe they do a lot of that at Iowa but not sure here are zone corners around because all corners will have to do that at one time or another so not sure there are zone corners and not zone corners.

Taylor-Britt can do it all, so can Elam in terms of coverage, tackling, versatility and ball skills.  Cory Trice has potential but he has been hurt most of the season, Joey Porter I think could come out early as a RS SOPH and be a 1st or 2nd round pick based on how well he has played.  Gardner on Cinci not sure he has played great this year but has awesome ball skills and awareness so he could play zone if asked as well.

Roger McCreary and Vincent Gray are two sleepers, very good cover corners that can mirror receivers well, could be steals potentially in the draft.

Overall the CB group outside of Porter Jr and Taylor-Britt has been kind of disappointing, Stingley has been hurt most of the year, same with Trice.  Gardner has been good but not great, Elam I still like but makes one wonder when that Florida defense gets rocked like it has been.  It is so hard for corners to be as dominant as they have been before in football today for whatever reason.  Looking at the younger guys FR and SOPH no one really stands out as consistently great, Antonio Johnson I guess stands out but he is more a nickel back/safety type and benefits greatly from that experience front four in the pass rush.  The young guys on Bama Branch and Moore have both really disappointed this year I think based on what they showed last year in terms of promise.  Will see what Kool-Aid does not that Jobe looks to be benched for Bama.

Being from Cincy, I have seen a lot of their games, and Gardner is a press CB.  So is Bryant.  You're right, that doesn't mean they can't do it.  I'm also an OSU and Georgia fan, and GAs CBs look more like the type we would use in our defensive scheme.   What I'm really getting at is that I don't see us spending a first rounder on those types of players, but would expect to grab guys on day 2.  

Thanks for the response.  If the bengals season keeps going like the last 8 days, I might be "scouting" sooner than later.

Week 10: Prospect Standouts

*Will Anderson Jr Alabama SOPH DE/OLB:  Amazing game by him yet again, absolutely dominated and brought it on every play.  Super active player and his stock for 2023 is huge and he has been probably the best defensive player in the nation all season.  One of the leaders in sacks this year and despite a Bama DL that has disappointing and overall that entire group has underachieved, Anderson is the standard and the leader of that group if not the entire team, have to love the attitude he plays with.  

*Damone Clark LSU SR ILB:  What a super star linebacker, just continues to show up and play intense passion football despite his team being destroyed by injuries, playing with tons of backup players and the team not really winning much either.  Is all over the field making plays, leads the nation in tackling and his draft stock is skyrocketing.  Has showed up big time the past few weeks when the team needed it, love how aggressive he plays and the leadership the shows, big strong kid who can run well and make plays downhill.  Very interesting player and is easily one of the best ILBs in the nation in a very deep class.

*Jordan Tucker UNC RS SR OT:  Really standout game by him, was all over the field making huge blocks, really impressed with him in space and his ability to pull, put on a show in that regard and many plays in this game will be on his season highlight tape.  Will have to go back and watch some more of that, he really showed out and showed the type of athletic upside where possibly he could be a late 1st rounder or early 2nd rounded.  Dominating game by him no question and was huge in that UNC run game.  

*Tyree Johnson Texas A&M RS SR DE/OLB:  Another outstanding game by him, I am going to have to include him in my 3/4 OLB rankings, dude could be legit off the edge because he is such a good athlete and could play in a 3/4 or a 4/3.  Having a standout season in his final year and really helping his draft stock overall.  Easily one of the best pass rushers in the country and has been on a tear the past few weeks.  

*Owen Carney Jr Illinois SR DE: Dominated on the edge in that game and really controlled the game with his pass rushing ability.  Has always been a productive edge rusher and is playing quite well this season.  Long armed kid, knows how to get off blocks and get free.  Should be a very interesting pass rush prospect come draft time and one to watch.  

*Zion Johnson Boston College SR OG/OT:  Really liked how he played in that game, big body kid who can move for his size, is probably best at guard but could play RT if asked as well.  Promising player and if he is not a late 1st round pick for sure will be a 2nd rounder, good looking talent.  

*Charleston Rambo Miami FL RS JR WR:  Outstanding game by him, really has been under the radar this year because Miami is not as good as most thought they would be, but over the past few weeks and the QB change Rambo has looked awesome and did some great things against Georgia Tech.  Great open field speed, good toughness and aggressiveness after the catch as well.  Long lean athlete that has game breaking ability, good to see him playing well after showing so much upside at OU then having the down season last year, great to see him doing well.  

*David Bell Purdue JR WR: Yet another dominating game by him, super smooth on the field and just finds a way to get open.  Absolutely should be a 1st round pick and in terms of route running and finding open space to make catches on the football field, he is as good as any receiver in the nation.  

*Storm Duck UNC RS SOPH CB:  Outstanding game by him, was challenged and he held up very well.  Interesting player but has been hurt a ton in his career, hopefully he can stay healthy because he has some big time ability and showed that against Wake.

*Sam Williams Ole Miss  SR OLB/DE:  Another great game by him, one of the best pass rushers in the nation that has a great first step and ability to close on the QB.  Really got after Willis as did that entire Ole Miss defense, Sam Williams is one to watch going forward one of the best pass rushers in the nation.  

*Connor Heyward Michigan State RS SR FB/HB:  Impressed a lot this season, playing great as a HB or TE, could possibly be a FB at the next level as well.  Made some outstanding catches in the receiving game in this one, showed off impressive athletic ability but no question he is really interesting since his switch to HB and is having a lot of success as a playmaker and even more so as a blocker.

*Jaylon Jones Texas A&M SOPH CB:  Impressive long corner for A&M that made some solid plays late in that game.  Will be one to watch, is helped greatly by that fine A&M front but kid can cover, has really long arms and decent ball skills.

*Phil Jurkovec Boston College RS JR QB:  Still seems a bit hurt but was great to see him out there.   Plays the game with such good pace and timing, little rusty still but athletically there is tons to like about him at that massive size.  Can really move around and make plays, if he can play well the next few games could totally see him coming out for the draft based on the potential he has.  I read he would be out for the season so great to see him back in there at QB.

*Jaxon Smith-Njigba Ohio State SOPH WR:  Standout game by him obviously, next great receiver in line for Ohio State and is such a good route runner already.  Awesome feet and good speed he showed, shows that Ohio State easily has the best WR core in the nation.

*Otis Reese Ole Miss SR OLB/S:  Really impressed with him physically, very well put together and could be a great potential OLB/S type hybrid player, very strong physically for his size, has good height as well.  Would be well worth a late round pick based on his ability to play more of that coverage type of OLB spot in the right defensive system.  

*Ty Chandler UNC RS SR RB:  Outstanding game by him, the best game of his career probably.  Was helped a lot by that UNC offensive line but he has always been a decent back just never quite took it to that next level, seems to be doing that the past few games for UNC becoming a much more dominant player.  Ran aggressively and found the right holes, really improving his draft stock for sure.

*Dallas Turner Alabama FR OLB:  Standout game by him, productive off the edge and did well opposite Anderson.  Not a very big end but is super athletic and rangy, will be interesting to watch as the season goes on.  

*Edgerrin Cooper Texas A&M RS FR ILB:  Really impressive young ILB for A&M, made some standout tackles in the box that game.  Good form and showed impressive strength as well, will be one to watch going forward for that group.

*Abram Smith Baylor RS SR RB:  Came out of nowhere this season, big back that is really productive for Baylor this year.  Runs hard and will be interesting to watch as the season goes on.  Could possibly be a late round pick maybe, has a good size and speed combo that is for sure.

*Tyquan Thornton Baylor SR WR:  Love his big play potential and will have to watch him more as the season goes on.  Really can get down field and make athletic plays in the air making contested catches.  Good looking athlete, could be a decent late round pick and a sleeper receiver, will see how he does against OU next week.

*Smoke Monday Auburn SR S:  Another standout game by him tackling, really impressed with how physical he has been the past two games really showing up making solid tackles.  Dude always had length in coverage and range but with his improved tackling his draft stock is really increasing I feel, over the past two games has played as well as any safety in the nation arguably.  

*Colby Wooden Auburn RS SOPH DE/DT:  Impressive play by him on the inside again, one of the better potential DLs in the nation, not sure if he is a better DE or DT but kid is a great looking athlete that is very thick and strong.  Could be a late 1st rounder or early 2nd rounder I think with his size and athletic ability on the edge.  

*Dominique Johnson Arkansas SOPH RB:  Was so hard to bring down in this one, very thick and big back who runs hard and was key to victory for Arkansas.  Does not get as many carries as he should but dude is a load and is hard for defenders to take down, love the way he runs hard and aggressively.  

*Lecitus Smith Virginia Tech RS JR OG:  I really liked his athletic ability he showed in this game, really was able to block and move people and did a great job pulling around and blocking downfield staying on the block and driving.  Interesting talent and with some more work he could become a very solid OG potentially.

*Nasir Peoples Virginia Tech RS SOPH S:  Good tackling safety I will have to watch more of, productive player who hits well and can get ball carriers to the ground.  

Others who impressed:

Sydney Brown Illinois SR S

Jackson Anthrop Purdue RS SR WR

Myles Farmer Nebraska RS SOPH S

Jaiden Woodbey Boston College RS JR OLB/S

Christian Harris Alabama JR OLB/ILB

Tyreke Smith Ohio State SR DE

Chance Campbell Ole Miss SR ILB

Will McDonald IV Iowa State RS JR OLB

Maliq Carr Michigan State FR TE

Devon Achane Texas A&M SOPH RB

Sam Howell UNC JR QB

Tony Adams Illinois RS SR S/CB

Caleb Chapman Texas A&M RS JR WR

Bo Melton Rutgers RS SR WR

Disappointed:

Malik Willis Liberty RS SR QB - Struggled no question, threw 3 INTs and really it should have been 4 of them.  Easily the best team they will play all year and he got sacked 9 times, some were his fault some were not of course.  Either way he is the most sacked QB in college football I believe so that is not exactly great.  Amazing athlete super fun to watch run the ball but not sure he is worth a 1st round pick.  Well worth a 2nd rounder but he is a project no question, has not developed as a passer in five years of college football, not sure that will change, benefits greatly from his running ability which is his best asset.  Has a strong arm and quick release but not sure he can consistently make accurate throws from the pocket right now.

Chris Owens Alabama RS SR C - Playing his more natural position he did not do well and they could not run the ball at all once Dalcourt when down.  Was shocking how bad they were on the OL and Owens I would think could easily play center but oddly looked better at RT during the year.  Maybe it was lack in practice time and not used to it but did not help that at his more natural position he struggled.  Surprised they have not played one of the Brockermeyer's but maybe they are not ready yet and Latham I would have thought would get the go instead of George.  Either way they have to work some things out regardless of how many highly rated recruits they have, on the field that OL stunk against LSU.

Sam Schlueter Minnesota RS SR OG/OT - Absolutely got dominated in that game and could not pass block at all.  Really struggled as that entire Minnesota DL did.  Disappointing for such an experienced player no question.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Ozzy said:

*Dominique Johnson Arkansas SOPH RB:  Was so hard to bring down in this one, very thick and big back who runs hard and was key to victory for Arkansas.  Does not get as many carries as he should but dude is a load and is hard for defenders to take down, love the way he runs hard and aggressively.  

He's been the best Arkansas RB all season, glad he's finally getting the bulk of the carries. He's obliterated defenders in pass protection this year too. Carries 235 very well.

5 hours ago, Jeezla said:

What did you think of the Ark C Ricky Stromberg when watching Dominique Johnson?

I like him, he probably needs another year of school though, is not better than Linderbaum who will probably declare for the draft.  And it is a deep center class possibly so would be best for Stromberg to go back another year and could be potentially the best center prospect in next years draft 2023.  Latham I think has potential at that guard spot for them and Wagner is a big athletic dude but does struggle in pass pro at times.  That OL is key to their success because the depend on running the ball so much and Stromberg is the key to all of it and the best OL they have.  

4 hours ago, WPS said:

He's been the best Arkansas RB all season, glad he's finally getting the bulk of the carries. He's obliterated defenders in pass protection this year too. Carries 235 very well.

I agree he carries that 235 pounds very well, big strong back with good feet, still say he needs to get way more carries but they have a few other ball carriers, he is probably the hardest to deal with though when he is running aggressively.  Still nuts how bad they are on D with so much experience at linebacker, they have good proven players there and a decent DL but that secondary has been bad and Catalon has not been nearly as good as I thought he would be.  Tre Williams impresses a lot on the DL and has increased his draft stock a ton.

5 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Thoughts on Isaac Taylor-Stewart?

Isaac Taylor-Stuart the USC corner?  Never really stood out to me in any regard when I have watched USC the past few seasons.  I have not watched a ton of him though but never saw a reason to do so.

13 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Isaac Taylor-Stuart the USC corner?  Never really stood out to me in any regard when I have watched USC the past few seasons.  I have not watched a ton of him though but never saw a reason to do so.

I was just looking at lists of prospects and saw he was 6'2-6'3" and reportedly ran a 4.2.

8 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I was just looking at lists of prospects and saw he was 6'2-6'3" and reportedly ran a 4.2.

Really doubt he is 6-3, and last time I checked that USC defense is pretty crap so not sure how great he is as a corner.  They gave up 31 to Arizona State and 34 points to winless at the time Arizona the week before.  Could argue Chris Steele has more ability at corner than Taylor-Stuart but still not sure he is a early entry guy anyway.

1 hour ago, RedGold said:

I don’t think I’ve seen Erik Ezukanma talked about on these boards.    He has some tools 

Possibly but TJ Vasher on Texas Tech had tons of potential and upside and he was a UDFA, same with Antoine Wesley who was way better than Ezukanma and Vasher on Texas Tech.  WR classes are always crazy deep and even if 25-35 guys get drafted there are still 20 dudes who can play just sitting around as a UDFA.  2019 was an example of that Jakobi Meyers, Preston Williams, David Sills, Antonie Wesley, Anthony Johnson, Stanley Morgan, Keelan Doss, Greg Dortch, Olamide Zaccheaus, Johnnie Dixon, Tyron Johnson etc.  My guess is this guy will be one of those if he is lucky.