2022 NFL Draft 7 Round ranking (Prospect Standouts):

Ozzy

On 5/15/2021 at 9:58 PM, Ozzy said:

@brushmyhair

Did some more looking around at safeties currently in the NFL that are short, a few of them and the top three play at a very high level.   All can play a little slot and Joyner does it a lot and is not always a safety but still.  Not to mention Winfield Jr who was a huge part in the Bucs Super Bowl run last year.    

Antoine Winfield Jr 5-9
Tyrann Mathieu 5-9
Quandre Diggs 5-9
LaMarcus Joyner 5-8
Ugo Amadi 5-9

I thought Byron Murphy Jr  was 5-9 ish and would have been the highest drafted CB from this list but he is 5-11.  A lot of those guys were UDFAs or later round picks.  Some fine players sure but not many high draft picks at that height.   Loved DJ Reed coming out of college, he was actually drafted but thought he should have been higher.   Shelley was solid who had some ability and Robertson was a ballhawk and Hilton who is tough as can be not to mention Robey-Coleman who was a big time playmaker and has had a solid pro career.

Nickell Robey-Coleman 5-8
Avonte Maddox 5-9
Mike Hilton 5-9
Duke Shelley 5-9
Amik Robertson 5-8
Darious Williams 5-9
K'Waun Williams 5-9
DJ Reed Jr 5-9
Tavon Young 5-9

Only went to current guys, Captain Munnerlyn is another smaller 5-9 corner that comes to mind, loved him on South Carolina thought he should have been drafted higher but had a long solid career.  He was a 7th round pick.  So for Tre'Vius he would be one of the first 5-9 corners to be picked high in the draft honestly if it happens.  Will be interesting how he does this year.  He has a chance no question in the pass happy NFL with the rules how they are, there is a place for smaller guys who can change direction in coverage and be versatile and tough out there.

You forgot Josiah Scott who was a 4th rounder last year

On 5/27/2021 at 10:34 AM, LinderFournette said:

You forgot Josiah Scott who was a 4th rounder last year

True, I never thought of him as that short when he played on Michigan State though honestly, surprised he is 5-9.  But should do well on Philly I think, is a good tackler and is tough.  

10 hours ago, Ozzy said:

True, I never thought of him as that short when he played on Michigan State though honestly, surprised he is 5-9.  But should do well on Philly I think, is a good tackler and is tough.  

He was behind a fellow short corner Chris claybrooks who was a 7th rounder from Memphis last season granted part of it was based on claybrooks being our return man but he was mostly riding the bench. 

There has to be  a reason why Scott was traded for a future 6th after just a year besides not fitting Urbans archeatype of corner. 

Connor Heyward has no business anywhere near an NFL draft list unless he moves to FB or TE.  He is super slow for a RB and thinks he can outrun people instead of running them over when he weighs 30 lbs more than them.  He probably should try LB as well if he wants any chance of making the next level but unfortunately we got the bum Heyward brother. 

Other MSU players with potential to be drafted would be Jaydon Reed, Jalon Nailor, Drew Beesley, and Kenneth Walker.  

On 6/1/2021 at 2:14 AM, NYRaider said:

Malik Willis not even on your board?

Yes I need to include him at some point but also have to watch him a bit more before that happens.  Right now I have him at around a 3rd or 4th round pick maybe but again need to watch some more of him and he really needs to improve if he wants to be considered one of the best in the class next year.  Still I view him more as an athlete than a QB until those passing mechanics and accuracy improves.  Right now he is not good enough for a team to build an offense around him in the NFL like Lamar Jackson and honestly he is not even close to being as good as Lamar Jackson was, will see if another offseason helps his development.  

7 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Connor Heyward has no business anywhere near an NFL draft list unless he moves to FB or TE.  He is super slow for a RB and thinks he can outrun people instead of running them over when he weighs 30 lbs more than them.  He probably should try LB as well if he wants any chance of making the next level but unfortunately we got the bum Heyward brother. 

Other MSU players with potential to be drafted would be Jaydon Reed, Jalon Nailor, Drew Beesley, and Kenneth Walker.  

If you look I do not have him being drafted at the moment and honestly he is in the just missed category, did include him on a list after the 7 rounds which was a list that had the seniors who took another year because of the pandemic and took advantage of it.  No doubt he would have to have an amazing season to even be considered, but I like his build but his production is very lacking.  Position change for him would be interesting no doubt about it, in terms of Cam Heyward that dude is good because he is 6-5 300 pounds and is a good athlete, Connor was not that blessed to be that big.  

Drew Jordan will be one to watch next year, I liked him on Duke and will be curious how he looks next year, he should be the best DL on the team.  I like him more than Beesley who is pretty short but decent motor. Jacob Panasiuk is back, high motor guy but has a lot ways to go before he will be drafted.  Xavier Henderson has a chance, showed flashes at safety last year I thought.

Could be awhile till Michigan State is back, with Dantonio they were a powerhouse and had some great seasons, that could be awhile till that happens again.  Mel Tucker is good but not sure he has the system and brought a team identity that Dantonio did.  

1 hour ago, animaltested said:

Trent McDuffie (CB UW) just hit 41.5 on his vertical. 

Pretty solid for him.  

7 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Trent McDuffie

Pretty solid for him.  

Yeah, at 5'11, he is going to need to burst out on testing. Mike Renner had Trent going 16th overall in this recent 2022 mock. The tape is there. I dont think outsiders realize the guy has been basically a day 1 starter since he came into the program. Alot of people think of him as the most talented CB since Marcus Peters, which considering the DB talent coming out, a big deal. Jimmy Lake recently said his level of play has ALREADY surpassed previous dudes like Kevin King and Sidney Jones. 

18 minutes ago, animaltested said:

Yeah, at 5'11, he is going to need to burst out on testing. Mike Renner had Trent going 16th overall in this recent 2022 mock. The tape is there. I dont think outsiders realize the guy has been basically a day 1 starter since he came into the program. Alot of people think of him as the most talented CB since Marcus Peters, which considering the DB talent coming out, a big deal. Jimmy Lake recently said his level of play has ALREADY surpassed previous dudes like Kevin King and Sidney Jones. 

Kevin King has been a disappointment in the NFL I feel and coming out was promising but not amazing and I was never a huge fan of him, Sidney Jones I was not big on either based on what he did on Washington and has been a disappointment in the NFL I feel.  McDuffie is not better than Molden, Molden to me is way better than him overall.  Not sure he is better than Byron Murphy either who had a great final year at Washington.  McDuffie could get there sure, will be curious how they look and if McDuffie can be the man and #1 CB.  Only other good DB on that team is Asa Turner arguably, the rest are all very inexperienced and surprised they even wanted Radley-Hiles who was good on OU but I never really liked him much, maybe it was coaching and he will be better at Washington.  

Still not sure McDuffie is good enough to be 16th overall but will see.  Kaiir Elam is better than him ever which way, and Cam Taylor-Britt is arguably as well, same with Tiawan Mullen who I would rather have as a slot corner than McDuffie.  

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Kevin King has been a disappointment in the NFL I feel and coming out was promising but not amazing and I was never a huge fan of him, Sidney Jones I was not big on either based on what he did on Washington and has been a disappointment in the NFL I feel.  McDuffie is not better than Molden, Molden to me is way better than him overall.  Not sure he is better than Byron Murphy either who had a great final year at Washington.  McDuffie could get there sure, will be curious how they look and if McDuffie can be the man and #1 CB.  Only other good DB on that team is Asa Turner arguably, the rest are all very inexperienced and surprised they even wanted Radley-Hiles who was good on OU but I never really liked him much, maybe it was coaching and he will be better at Washington.  

Still not sure McDuffie is good enough to be 16th overall but will see.  Kaiir Elam is better than him ever which way, and Cam Taylor-Britt is arguably as well, same with Tiawan Mullen who I would rather have as a slot corner than McDuffie.  

McDuffie isnt a slot CB. He been a boundary CB his whole career. 

38 minutes ago, animaltested said:

McDuffie isnt a slot CB. He been a boundary CB his whole career. 

Physically he seems like a slot corner to me and physically he looks like one and has good enough footwork to play slot.  Myles Bryant is another Washington DB, UDFA and stuck onto the Patriots and they got a steal with him possibly.  He was a talented corner recently for the Huskies as well.  

He was the starting outside corner for Washington in 2019 with the team that had Keith Taylor, Molden and Myles Bryant on it?  I do not recall that, and maybe I am not remembering it right but didn't he get beat a lot that season?  He was the weak link out of those three, last year he played better though and was solid in coverage.  

On 5/5/2021 at 6:30 PM, Ozzy said:

2022 NFL Draft

3rd
Phil Jurkovec Boston College RS JR QB
Desmond Ridder Cincinnati RS SR QB

4th
Bo Nix Auburn JR QB
D'Eriq King Miami FL RS SR QB

5th
Dorian Thompson-Robinson UCLA SR QB

Will be interesting to see how these unfold. I don't think any of these guys go this high with the exception of Ridder.

18 hours ago, Ozzy said:

He was the starting outside corner for Washington in 2019 with the team that had Keith Taylor, Molden and Myles Bryant on it?  I do not recall that, and maybe I am not remembering it right but didn't he get beat a lot that season?  He was the weak link out of those three, last year he played better though and was solid in coverage.  

Yep, been starting since his freshman year. Took over for Kyler Gordan a few games in. In 2019 Myles Bryant played almost exclusively safety / Rover. Molden in the slot with Taylor and McDuffie the boundary CBs. 

His play did dip last year. But it was only 4 games, and teams spent most of the games running down UW's throat. 

On 6/3/2021 at 6:54 PM, Ozzy said:

Could be awhile till Michigan State is back, with Dantonio they were a powerhouse and had some great seasons, that could be awhile till that happens again.  Mel Tucker is good but not sure he has the system and brought a team identity that Dantonio did

I'm actually higher on Tucker than most are, MSU's cupboards were completely bare. I think he will bring that physical, tough minded type style they had, but I think he will be bringing in a better type of athlete than they used to have with Kenny Willikes and Joe Bachie  

On 6/3/2021 at 5:35 PM, animaltested said:

Trent McDuffie (CB UW) just hit 41.5 on his vertical. 

Any relation to OJ McDuffie?

2 hours ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

I'm actually higher on Tucker than most are, MSU's cupboards were completely bare. I think he will bring that physical, tough minded type style they had, but I think he will be bringing in a better type of athlete than they used to have with Kenny Willikes and Joe Bachie  

With Dantonio they won outright Big Ten titles in 2013 and 2015.  I would be shocked if they win another Big Ten title in the next 7-10 years.  Not to mention getting to big bowl games like the Rose bowl and Cotton bowl and winning them against good competition, also won a few other decent sized bowl games.  

10-3  (2017)
3-9
12-2
11-2
13-1
7-6
11-3
11-2 (2010)

A few of those seasons were damn good and I do not see them winning that many games for awhile.  Sure does not include Dantonio's entire time there which was rough at the end and at the start.  Good coach in Mel Tucker sure but not sure they beat out Ohio State anytime soon much less Indiana who is coming on and Maryland that has potential and Penn State/Michigan will always be there in the mix.  

• Like 2