Lions waive RB Kerryon Johnson

RaidersAreOne

I get it but seems odd.  He wasn’t making much, is a solid rotational back, and was just praised by coaches for his pass blocking.  And I don’t think we need money and he wasn’t making much anyways.  I'd have kept him for depth over a 7th round unknown. 

• Like 2

This is a bit of a surprise, but at the same time, pretty much the only thing that he was good at last year was pass blocking. Is that really all that hard to replace? I think that Williams is also regarded as a really good blocker. If they don't trust Kerryon's health or just don't think he can really help them run the ball then I totally get it. 

I wouldn't be too shocked if they bring in another veteran eventually. There are still plenty of guys out there like Duke Johnson, TJ Yeldon, Rex Burkhead, Chris Thompson, etc. No one too exciting, but not a huge drop off. 

A fair number of teams could use an affordable 3rd-down back with good pass-blocking skills.  I could see Brad Holmes making an attempt to get another player or a late-round pick for Kerryon Johnson.  A team like the Seahawks could probably use him to keep Russel Wilson a little safer.

Edited by Just Want A Title

14 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Sounds like Brad Holmes lied, as Kerryon was claimed by the Eagles today per his agent. Seems we could have got a late round pick or at least a late round upgrade for him.  Like he and a 7th for a 6th. 

I think they were trying to do that when the story first broke they were going to release him, but it looks like they didn't get any takers.