A Quiet Place 2 - May 28th, 2021

D82

15 hours ago, Ozzy said:

That near the end scene in Hereditary with that old lady off in the distance moving around, that was pretty scary in the moment and creepy as hell.  With good camera work, storyline and concept they can do decent stuff in scary movies.  Like that sick lady in the original Pet Sematary, I think that wives sister who was sick when she was a kid and she had to care for her, that sick lady going up close to the camera with the round angle lens was good along with that kid cutting that dudes back leg.  A few shots especially the end of The Blair Witch Project was good, that end scene in Manhunter was damn good also in the dudes creepy house with that music playing.  The Evil Dead all those shots outside the cabin looking into the cabin from the dark woods was damn good.  That slamming door in Texas Chainsaw Massacre when he takes that girl down, that is outstanding as well.  A few scenes in Funny Games is creepy and scary as hell and that was the Naomi Watts one.  And hard to not be impressed with that end scene in the basement with Clarice in Silence of the Lambs was outstanding.  But that alone, the thought of the movie and the hype around it was a huge part of the film, even the name.  I never got that with A Quiet Place because the idea for what the monster is just seemed kind of cheesy honestly to me.

Sure it is all fantasy and fake so sure is hard to be really scared unless one has a good imagination and really gets into it and views themselves as in the movie and not sitting and watching the movie.  Hard to be scared of anything unless you think it is real or really happening.  

Annabelle is probably the last movie that really had me creeped out. Looking back, not a great movie...but that scene with the demon in the basement had me on edge due to some previous childhood experiences. Insidious was on the right path as well...until they really showed the demon in full get up, and that witch looking lady wasn't terrifying at all either...why they chose to focus on her was beyond me. 

Honestly, probably hasn't been a really good scary movie since The Exorcist or Amityville Horror. 

• 2 weeks later...

I thought the first one was okay.  It was different and that made it intriguing.  Also, I'm pretty much caught up on all the movies I wanted to watch, so I welcome this movie with open arms to get some new content to enjoy.  

14 minutes ago, August4th said:

I think this will be the 1st movie  I see in theaters since covid... can't wait! Feb or March of 2020 was the last time I been in a theater and I'm starving

Same here. First movie that my fiancé and I will be seeing together. Think the last one I saw in theaters was Endgame.

5 hours ago, dtait93 said:

Really, really good movie. Sequals tend to be a lot worse but this one might be even better than the first one tbh.

I won't say it was better, but it definitely was as good as the first. Had the same "edge of your seat" intensity as the last.

• 1 month later...

Despite finding the aliens/creatures very generic and uninteresting, it's just so well done in every other way.

Acting is phenomenal, characters are easy to care about and empathize with. The shots and settings were amazing. Pacing in the intense scenes were just masterful. Great work by Krasinski - you can truly appreciate his vision when it comes to film making. 

Emmett and Reagan were superb in their short time together. The dock scene with the feral humans was a real high point in their ineffective relationship prior to; particularly the diving gesture and Emmett somehow saving the hearing aid (how important did that turn out to be?)

The slow, melodic main piano score during the most intense scene of the movie was just brilliant at the end.

Only critique I've had about this series is how short they are and that they have to end (both so abruptly)...

I don't think the writing or screen play were nearly as good as the first, I think they were forced to make some very dumb/very forced character decisions just so there could be tension. 

I suppose that is simply a product of giving them the key to defeating the death angels at the end of the first. So from scene one they have the ability and have already killed some. It just makes the threat level feel less significant. Like in the very beginning running from one of them after already killing one of the monsters at the end of the first and two seconds prior in the second. 

However, that was a handicap that they were set up with after the first one and while I didn't like the writing as much in the sequel because of it the movie itself was able to overcome it with some phenomenal performances, fantastic score, and doing enough story wise both with the new threats of seeing other bad humans and moving the characters around enough to keep the sense of danger feel real enough. 

I don't think it was as good as the first. I would probably give the first an 8 out of 10, and I would probably give the second a 6 or 7 out of 10. But my scoring system for movies means a 6 is an above average, really enjoyable film. 

Also I saw earlier someone critiqued the aliens being shown early and not being scary to them in the original, but I personally absolutely didn't mind. It made it clear from the start that this wasnt a Jaws type setup waiting to see the monster. You saw them, now move forward knowing like the characters do what the threat is and how serious it is. It allowed for the movie to be what it was, a drama about a families fight for survival and a father trying to keep his family safe in an almost impossible situation. It was a family drama with suspense, some horror elements, and some monster flick elements. But it wasn't a monster movie first. And I thought that was a brilliant idea on how to play it. 

• Like 1