Post Ben QB...

mwalker

Until last year, I was very high on Rudolph. I thought the Steelers were wise to trade up for him, and that they had a successor for Ben. Rudolph showed real promise in 2019 before getting cold-cocked by Earl Thomas. He came back shakey, and I think it was the right call to go with the Duck. Then when the Duck's limitations were laid bare, I thought Rudolph showed promise again before that awful play against the Jets ended his season.

Now, I am not so sure. Maybe it was just rust or maybe his shoulder was not completely healed, I don't know. When Rudolph came in for Ben against the Cowboys, he threw three passes that were not what i would call NLF-caliber throws.

So, here's my prediction for who's next at QB for the Steelers for the next few years:

21/22: Ben, Rudolph, Dobbs

22/23: Rudolph, Dobbs, veteran FA

23/24: Rudolph, Rookie 1st round pick, veteran QB

24/25: 2nd year first round pick, veteran QB

• Like 1

On 5/7/2021 at 8:58 AM, DR43 said:

Why did Haskins failed so badly in DC?  Could it have been the way he was used?

The critique is that he has all the arm talent in the world, but he doesn't prioritize football.
So a lack of maturity, too much time on off the field stuff. He wasn't skipping practices from
what I understand, but just not working hard enough to improve and eventually they just felt
he wasn't taking things seriously enough.

Why hasn’t Dobbs ever been given a fair shot? He’s made some really sick throws in preseason and is actually a legit threat running the ball. He knows the offense as well as the coaches and I bet he could even run the no-huddle like Ben.

Just thinking out loud here.

43 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

Why hasn’t Dobbs ever been given a fair shot? He’s made some really sick throws in preseason and is actually a legit threat running the ball. He knows the offense as well as the coaches and I bet he could even run the no-huddle like Ben.

Just thinking out loud here.

He is not accurate

• Like 2

3 hours ago, bigben07MVP said:

I get that, all I’m saying is I’d like to see him get an opportunity. He’s impressed me in preseason.

The year he was cut for the Duck, he was less than impressive. He is Lamar Jackson lite, IMO.

On 5/7/2021 at 5:05 PM, bigben07MVP said:

Because he was inaccurate and threw interceptions in preseason.

• 2 weeks later...

I think the best course of action is to let Rudolph & Haskins battle it out for a year, hopefully the competition brings something out of both of them.

I personally don’t think the Steelers should be drafting a QB in round 1 who doesn’t look like they have potential to be at worst a top 10 starter in the league. 

The 2022 class doesn’t touch the 2021 class. If these guys were in the drsft this year they’d be late first round prospects and 2nd round prospects.

There’s absolutely no way I would endorse a trade up in this draft for a QB. If one falls to the Steelers then, take them, if they don’t then roll with what you have.

Ultimately in the end I expect the Steelers to be playoff contenders this year and make one of the final playoff spots.

So, they’re going to be picking in the late teens or early 20s.

I think 2023 will be the year they take a QB in the top 10 as I don’t think Rudolph or Haskins can make this team an even 8 win team if one of them are the 2022 starters which in the long run should be a good thing for the Steelers bc much like 2004, they’ll have a chance to get a good - maybe great - QB to develop in the top 10 of the 2023 draft.

2 hours ago, turtle28 said:

I personally don’t think the Steelers should be drafting a QB in round 1 who doesn’t look like they have potential to be at worst a top 10 starter in the league. 

I share this feeling as a general though on drafting that position. If you are not in love with a guy, I would rather you take a better talent and figure it out later. But its also the position where if you absolutely love someone, go ahead and trade 5 1st round picks to go get him. 

If 2022 class doesnt look like they have that guy and there isn't a Carr like option available...Roll the dice on Mason and Haskins in a competition in hopes that Canada has a nice system they get to facilitate with a defense that wins the game. 

It's kinda silly to look out this far but 2023 seems to at least have some naturally talented players at QB that will be available. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dcash4 said:

I share this feeling as a general though on drafting that position. If you are not in love with a guy, I would rather you take a better talent and figure it out later. But its also the position where if you absolutely love someone, go ahead and trade 5 1st round picks to go get him. 

If 2022 class doesnt look like they have that guy and there isn't a Carr like option available...Roll the dice on Mason and Haskins in a competition in hopes that Canada has a nice system they get to facilitate with a defense that wins the game. 

It's kinda silly to look out this far but 2023 seems to at least have some naturally talented players at QB that will be available. 

my man lol GIF by Steve Harvey TV

45 minutes ago, jebrick said:

got to admit I am on the Cole Kelley bandwagon.  Reminds me of Big Ben when he was at Miami.  And not just because he is 6'7" 260 lbs

That's a Giant Sized QB. I'm beginning to come around a little more to this upcoming draft class. I was not liking what I was seeing with the first couple I looked at. There are some interesting guys for sure.