2021 ROT

DreamKid

Couple plays covered in this, the Andrews TD that got called back and Duve's big chunk play. Have to say, I love use of Bell on the latter. Very interesting concept. I think we'll see both of these plays brought out of the toolbox again at some point.

• Like 1

I'd like to see Bell get a chance to feature next week just to give us a chance to really see what he has. Absent him showing some juice it feels more and more like we need to dip into the trade market for a RB. Something's obviously not quite clicking organizationally with Ty'son, and both Murray and Freeman both look pretty much cooked. As flawed as this team is, you can't waste a year of a QB playing at the level Lamar is at so anything we can do to give him some help needs to be explored. Don't know if the money can be made to work but Melvin Gordon would be a clear step up if the Broncos decide they're ready to feature Javonta Williams. Marlon Mack looked quicker than I was expecting last night as well. 

35 minutes ago, SalvadorsDeli said:

I'd like to see Bell get a chance to feature next week just to give us a chance to really see what he has. Absent him showing some juice it feels more and more like we need to dip into the trade market for a RB. Something's obviously not quite clicking organizationally with Ty'son, and both Murray and Freeman both look pretty much cooked. As flawed as this team is, you can't waste a year of a QB playing at the level Lamar is at so anything we can do to give him some help needs to be explored. Don't know if the money can be made to work but Melvin Gordon would be a clear step up if the Broncos decide they're ready to feature Javonta Williams. Marlon Mack looked quicker than I was expecting last night as well. 

80% of our issues are the offensive line. Our runners finished with an average of -0.3 yards before contact last night according to PFF. So even if we acquire a better runner, it's probably only that 20% that can really be affected. 

I do think Bell will return next week and get a shot at cementing himself. Also if we do move for a HB, James Robinson should be a target imo. 

21 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

80% of our issues are the offensive line. Our runners finished with an average of -0.3 yards before contact last night according to PFF. So even if we acquire a better runner, it's probably only that 20% that can really be affected. 

I do think Bell will return next week and get a shot at cementing himself. Also if we do move for a HB, James Robinson should be a target imo. 

I agree with this. If you watch the game back last night, our guys were getting hit before they ever had a chance. Meanwhile, the Colts' RB's were running 5-7 yards downfield before ever being touched, and that was with their OL in shambles as well.

17 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I agree with this. If you watch the game back last night, our guys were getting hit before they ever had a chance. Meanwhile, the Colts' RB's were running 5-7 yards downfield before ever being touched, and that was with their OL in shambles as well.

Run game is just broken right now. On a schematic, blocking, and talent level. We saw this at the start of 2018 too. We lost Austin Howard(who was used similarly to OBJ as that pin player on our pulling runs(LG,C(when we had Jensen), RG) that worked so well, along with Ryan Jensen, and Greg Roman just couldn't adapt. Even with Yanda we couldn't get anything going. Until Lamar showed up post bye and our running attack exploded to average like 200+ a game. 

Our best hope is Ronnie Stanley and Nick Boyle returning with a boost. Injuries to Zeitler and Cleveland are forcing things even farther in the other direction though. Won't just be the run game that's affected either if Tyre Phillips returns to a starting role in place of an injured player. Pass Pro will take a hit as well.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, SalvadorsDeli said:

Speaking of Stanley and Boyle... have we gotten any updates about them recently? I feel like Harbaugh said something kinda ominous a couple of weeks back where it seemed like shutting down Stanley for the year was on the table, but I haven't really heard anything in either direction since. 

Last news we had on Stanley was good. That he was just going to need further rehab and not additional surgery. Boyle we haven't heard much about but I think his 3 Week IR designation is coming to end this week or next, so we should get something soon on that front.

Edited by DreamKid

38 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

Run game is just broken right now. On a schematic, blocking, and talent level. We saw this at the start of 2018 too. We lost Austin Howard(who was used similarly to OBJ as that pin player on our pulling runs(LG,C(when we had Jensen), RG) that worked so well, along with Ryan Jensen, and Greg Roman just couldn't adapt. Even with Yanda we couldn't get anything going. Until Lamar showed up post bye and our running attack exploded to average like 200+ a game. 

Our best hope is Ronnie Stanley and Nick Boyle returning with a boost. Injuries to Zeitler and Cleveland are forcing things even farther in the other direction though. Won't just be the run game that's affected either if Tyre Phillips returns to a starting role in place of an injured player. Pass Pro will take a hit as well.

IMO the scheme can be improved. To my eye, the vast majority of runs are slow developing plays since Lamar is in either pistol or shotgun formation. Defensive players can just crash the edges, get into the backfield and destroy the play because the Ravens never threaten a quick-hitting run. Defenses know how to position players so Lamar can't run to the outside on the option as well.  

I think if we mixed in more dives and off-tackle runs with Lamar under center, defenses would be out of position. 

The run game is just very predictable right now. 

• Like 1