2021 RDT

DreamKid

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, SalvadorsDeli said:

Really excited to see what Malik Harrison can do this year. Feel like he has some real under-the-radar breakout potential - wouldn't even be surprised if it turned into a Andrews/Hurst situation with him and Queen. 

I don't know if I'd go as far as it becoming a repeat of Hayden & Mark, but I believe in Harrison as well. At the time I wanted Madubuike(😆)/Gross-Matos/or one of the safeties over Queen in the 1st, and looking back picking someone like AWJ early and then still getting Harrison in the 3rd would've likely been a more beneficial combo- but it is what it is. Queen has sky high potential, particularly as a coverage piece(despite his struggles), which is key.

A safer bet might be Queen pricing himself out of Baltimore with gaudy stats(like Mosley) with us then retaining Harrison on a bargain deal relative to his ability.

Malik is a monster athlete in his own right and he flashed all the tools in Year 1, albeit on limited snaps. "Downhill Octopus" doesn't quite have a nice ring to it, but that's what he reminds me of. He pairs brutal run fits with tremendous length(which he applies in coverage too). Real nice energy to him as well, a young Raven with a throwback mentality. To be fair though it felt like all of the new faces on our 2021 defense brought that classic Ravens energy(Queen,Harrison,Madubuike,Elliot,Campbell,Wolfe,etc). You could see and feel it in the games too. Here's a great highlight on him(Everyone should should subscribe to this guy's channel)-

• Like 1

I think our biggest breakout this year defensively is going to be Madibuke!! I really think he has something special and as soon as he can refine his technique he will start generating a ton of pressure inside! Also helps that he has the best teacher in the business in Campbell! Looking for a monster year out of him!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

It's interesting that Justin Madubuike and Odafe Oweh are both super athlete sons of Nigerian immigrants and foundational blocks for the future of our pass rush/front. Those two becoming close friends that push each other to improve during their (hopefully long and successful) tenure as Ravens would be awesome for us. I suppose it's also worth noting that Madubuike is a Texas kid like Tyus Bowser too. With Bowsers extension he's looking like the 3rd biggest future piece out of our OLBs/DIs. So having a connection between him and Madubuike is convenient as well.

RUSH: Odafe Oweh  22 Y/O  RAS- 9.92  3T: Justin Madubike  23 Y/O  RAS- 9.32  SAM: Tyus Bowser  26 Y/O  RAS- 9.74

ILB: Patrick Queen 21 Y/O *40YD: 4.50/4.49  Malik Harrison 23 Y/O  RAS- 9.43

*Queen doesn't have any SS or 3C numbers so RAS is poor representation of his athletic ability, we obviously know he's twitched up.

That's a lot of juice for the present and future of our defensive front. Zach Sieler was stolen from us as our future at 5T(Another freak athlete 😒)so that's where we'll probably see the next big addition. It's early but I like Aiden Hutchinson out of Michigan. 6'6 270(College listed numbers which often change come), a lot of natural power to his game and he has the frame to bulk up to DI full time or be a move piece like Calais Campbell. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Athletic 20 Y/Os Rookies do tend to improve season to season. And pass coverage was a strength of Queens at LSU. So I'm going to assume this isn't cap. He also brought up conditioning issues he experienced last year with the COVID tainted offseason. So we should expect a leap in that department as well.

Queen apparently spent a lot time(already) watching film during the offseason and I appreciate how honest he is about where he needs to improve and how clearly he can articulate what those areas are. Both are great signs imo. One of Queen's best traits on college tape was his ability to diagnose, so I do trust him to eventually flash that same mental processing in the Pros(Against the run and in pass coverage).

Here's a great article on Queen that highlights key parts of his 'The Lounge' podcast interview- https://www.nfl.com/news/ravens-patrick-queen-film-study-year-2-leap-game-transcend?

Seems like the Patrick Queen train is headed in the right direction. He's a good kid that loves football and possesses the right mindset/drive to reach his ultimate ceiling. He won't be a Ray Lewis or a Luke Kuechly(And no one should have expected him to be), but he should end up as a very good to great LB and a strong overall defensive asset. 

These are the 3 areas to monitor for him in 2021:

1.  Pass Coverage(Route Recognition, Discipline, Comfort/General Awareness)

2. Taking on, Avoiding, and Sifting through blocks

3. Tackle Security(Cutting down on broken and missed attempts)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DreamKid said:

Athletic 20 Y/Os Rookies do tend to improve season to season. And pass coverage was a strength of Queens at LSU. So I'm going to assume this isn't cap. He also brought up conditioning issues he experienced last year with the COVID tainted offseason. So we should expect a leap in that department as well.

Queen apparently spent a lot time(already) watching film during the offseason and I appreciate how honest he is about where he needs to improve and how clearly he can articulate what those areas are. Both are great signs imo. One of Queen's best traits on college tape was his ability to diagnose, so I do trust him to eventually flash that same mental processing in the Pros(Against the run and in pass coverage).

Here's a great article on Queen that highlights key parts of his 'The Lounge' podcast interview- https://www.nfl.com/news/ravens-patrick-queen-film-study-year-2-leap-game-transcend?

Seems like the Patrick Queen train is headed in the right direction. He's a good kid that loves football and possesses the right mindset/drive to reach his ultimate ceiling. He won't be a Ray Lewis or a Luke Kuechly(And no one should have expected him to be), but he should end up as a very good to great LB and a strong overall defensive asset. 

These are the 3 areas to monitor for him in 2021:

1.  Pass Coverage(Route Recognition, Discipline, Comfort/General Awareness)

2. Taking on, Avoiding, and Sifting through blocks

3. Tackle Security(Cutting down on broken and missed attempts)

I think he will be just fine. Linebacker has become one of the most challenging positions to play in the last 10 years or so, there has been just so many added responsibilities for that position because of the evolution of the modern day offenses. You couple that with a guy who hadn't played that much football in his life coming in and being asked to start at the most challenging position to learn in an off-season when everything was done virtually? I think we will see a much better Queen this year.

• 1 month later...

His projections don't look too bad, but LJ Fort remains a factor and Justin Madubuike should be considered our starting 3T in most sub packages. The situation at CB is interesting. Tavon being back not only creates flexibility at NCB, freeing up Marlon, but it gives us that extra plus CB to field in case we want to push Jimmy up to FS and bring Clark down to $LB. Love how this unit is looking on paper. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I thought the 1st team defense as pretty much a whole looked lethargic and some appeared short on stamina in what little we saw of them. Decided to hold off comment because it's not exactly surprising that guys/vets like Marcus Peters might not go all out 100% for a preseason game, but I noticed too many of them sucking wind out there and these comments don't make me happy tbh. There were excuses available last year with the Rookie curve and COVID adjustment, but that's done now. We're not trying to field a team of athletic knock out artists, so to speak. It's great that we have freak show athletes who can come alive and get the knock out in the final rounds(splash plays or turnovers after a long offensive drive), but that's not a standard we can rely on. We need down to down energy and reliability- especially when it comes to our core starters like Queen. If you're getting tired after 2-3 series against Taysom Hill and the Saint's 2nd team at 21 Y/O in the Preseason, then what are you going to be worth in the 4th Quarter against the Chiefs in January? Get it together kid. 

That's a pretty interesting statement for Wink to make with Tavon and Jimmy on the roster. We already saw last year that he was becoming a nice asset and had improved a ton since his early career. This is his contact year and sounds like he's ready to have a strong comp pick generating season.

Edited by wackywabbit
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, wackywabbit said:

This is his contact year and sounds like he's ready to have a strong comp pick generating season.

This is the key point. AA is probably better than a typical CB3/4, at least his peak moments are, but I'm not interested in him occupying a role beyond that in our defense. He's vulnerable against size at times(as we saw against the Saints, even when he was in phase), and he does have longer than you'd like stretches of meh to poor play. Let some other club that struggles to cover speed options toss a bag at him. We can take the comp pick, and identify a better option elsewhere. I think we need another CB1/2 option anyway with Jimmy season to season and Tavon's future unclear. It's clear CBs are the skeleton key to this scheme/modern defensive success and I don't have any desire to move away from our surplus high end depth strategy. We've seen a great CB room carry trash Safety duos(Weddle & Jefferson), trash LBs(Mosley, Peanut, Young), and a lackluster pass rush unit(at one point B Will and Pierce were our interior rush duo) to top of the league defensive performances. CB is 👑