What teams will be the top 5 defenses during the 2021 season?

CP3MVP

Rams

Ravens

Steelers

Football Team

Dolphins

Rams, Ravens and the Football team are solidified in their for me but I could easily see Tampa Bay, New Orleans, Buffalo and even Cleveland sneaking

in as well.

Edited by Letsch80
  • Like 1

In no particular order:

Washington (plus playing the Giants and Eagles a combined 4 times will help)

The Rams

Tampa Bay (COULD potentially fall off in rankings due to the NFC South offensive skill firepower)

Baltimore (See above. With some offenses in the AFC North, they could fall off on the rankings)

Chicago

I think that Miami takes a step back this year despite adding pieces. I think that they're a very well coached team, but I am not a believer there.

Pittsburgh I have as a near miss on that Top 5 as well. I think that they lost some real talent in some places (EDGE, CB).

I think Buffalo has a real chance to sneak into the Top 5 due to coaching, an elite secondary, a solid run defense, and we'll see if they can do anything on the EDGE spots this year...not to mention playing a very weak offensive schedule in their divsion.

Edited by MWil23

9 minutes ago, Letsch80 said:

Rams

Ravens

Steelers

Football Team

Dolphins

All really good bets... I'll throw the Saints and Bucs into the mix also

I lowkey think the Steelers defense will be on the field a LOT since I have no faith in their offense, which might have them taking a step back defensively

But overall, I think most will agree on a similar handful of teams

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tk3 said:

IMO Washington and the Rams will be universally agreed upon, as will likely the Bucs and Ravens, albeit there are some solid offenses within these divisions who may sway the "official rankings" there.

From there, I could see about 4-5 different teams competing for that final spot.

1 minute ago, MWil23 said:

In no particular order:

Washington (plus playing the Giants and Eagles a combined 4 times will help)

The Rams

Tampa Bay (COULD potentially fall off in rankings due to the NFC South offensive skill firepower)

Baltimore

Chicago

I think that Miami takes a step back this year despite adding pieces. I think that they're a very well coached team, but I am not a believer there.

Pittsburgh I have as a near miss on that Top 5 as well. I think that they lost some real talent in some places (EDGE, CB).

I think Buffalo has a real chance to sneak into the Top 5 due to coaching, an elite secondary, a solid run defense, and we'll see if they can do anything on the EDGE spots this year...not to mention playing a very weak offensive schedule in their divsion.

Overall agree with this too.

The perception of Miami's defense was bolstered by all the Howard interceptions/overall takeaways which probably regress towards the mean this season

And I think you're off on Buffalo. We have some holes on defense. The entire defensive line has me concerned, and while our safety play is elite, we're missing a strong CB2. I don't think we will have a BAD defense by any means, but I think its unlikely that we are anywhere near the chat of "elite defenses"

1 minute ago, Tk3 said:

Overall agree with this too.

The perception of Miami's defense was bolstered by all the Howard interceptions/overall takeaways which probably regress towards the mean this season

Schematically, there's a lot that I love in Miami. They also got to play a super weak schedule, the Ghost of Cam Newton, and the Jets last year. I don't think that their defensive roster is anything special, albeit we will see how Phillips and the kid from Oregon in that slot/push S role R2 do there.

1 minute ago, Tk3 said:

And I think you're off on Buffalo. We have some holes on defense. The entire defensive line has me concerned, and while our safety play is elite, we're missing a strong CB2. I don't think we will have a BAD defense by any means, but I think its unlikely that we are anywhere near the chat of "elite defenses"

I think that they're going to by nature be able to force teams into being one dimensional...and that CB#1 is good enough to take away about 1/2 the field, so your DC will have some creativity in how to figure out the other half with help from the S spots, mixing in looks, etc.

Those EDGE spots are a major concern in getting after the quarterback, but I think they're a pretty stout Front 7 unit. Maybe that's just me/the games I happened to watch last year where they really looked good.

13 minutes ago, Tk3 said:

All really good bets... I'll throw the Saints and Bucs into the mix also

I lowkey think the Steelers defense will be on the field a LOT since I have no faith in their offense, which might have them taking a step back defensively

They were my first 2 out

I’m not sold on the Ravens being top 5 again this year tbh

Our secondary is obviously unreal. And we have an incredible coordinator in Wink Martindale

But our linebackers are just meh until proven otherwise and our defensive line, while really good, is pretty old. I could see that unit dealing with some injuries this year or at least fatigue

I think they’re probably a better bet to finish in that 7-10 range

Edited by Ray Reed

2 hours ago, Ray Reed said:

I’m not sold on the Ravens being top 5 again this year tbh

Our secondary is obviously unreal. And we have an incredible coordinator in Wink Martindale

But our linebackers are just meh until proven otherwise and our defensive line, while really good, is pretty old. I could see that unit dealing with some injuries this year or at least fatigue

I think they’re probably a better bet to finish in that 7-10 range

I'm a bit more optimistic about the linebacker play than you. You can't accurately judge 2 rookie linebackers with no offseason programs and no preseason. Linebacker is the toughest position to acclimate to in the modern day NFL because of all of the responsibilities they have. I saw enough promise from both of them last year to convince me that with a full offseason they will be vastly improved.  I'm also fully expecting a big breakout from Madibuke, he has serious promise and all the veteran guys gush over his potential. I'm sure they aren't done adding yet either, I'm hoping we can squeeze Justin Houston in under the cap.

• Like 1

1) BAL- insane senconday and veterans upfront with breakout potential at LB. They will be preliminary top 5 every year until proven otherwise.

2) TB- watch the superbowl

3) NE- a ton of Covid guys coming back and they invested a ton in free agency/draft. Dont underestimate BB. Especially a mad BB with actual talent now

4) DEN- patrick surtain, kyle fuller and von miller added to a already really good group. Elite secondary to go with elite pass rushers. 2015 is back.

5) WFT- their front 7 is unfair and can win them 5 games as long as they get adequate secondary play

left out: LAR - lost too much for me to put them in top 5. No Johnson, Hill, Brockers, ect make me skeptical they they will be able to be elite. They also dont have another draft pick for 17 years with the Stafford/Ramsey trades and contracts so them trending upwards anytime in the near future is hard to imagine. This is a defense on the way down, not up.

prove it: CLE - one of the most talented defenses on paper that should make QBs lives hell. But its all on paper. I need to see it. I also question how good Joe Woods really is to be able to get a defense to play above their heads, not just perform great because natural talent.

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 6