What teams will be the top 5 defenses during the 2021 season?

CP3MVP

13 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

1) BAL- insane senconday and veterans upfront with breakout potential at LB. They will be preliminary top 5 every year until proven otherwise.

2) TB- watch the superbowl

3) NE- a ton of Covid guys coming back and they invested a ton in free agency/draft. Dont underestimate BB. Especially a mad BB with actual talent now

4) DEN- patrick surtain, kyle fuller and von miller added to a already really good group. Elite secondary to go with elite pass rushers. 2015 is back.

5) WFT- their front 7 is unfair and can win them 5 games as long as they get adequate secondary play

left out: LAR - lost too much for me to put them in top 5. No Johnson, Hill, Brockers, ect make me skeptical they they will be able to be elite. They also dont have another draft pick for 17 years with the Stafford/Ramsey trades and contracts so them trending upwards anytime in the near future is hard to imagine. This is a defense on the way down, not up.

prove it: CLE - one of the most talented defenses on paper that should make QBs lives hell. But its all on paper. I need to see it. I also question how good Joe Woods really is to be able to get a defense to play above their heads, not just perform great because natural talent.

great top 5😀

I think people are sleeping on the 49ers. They had the 6th ranked defense in DVOA by the end of last season, and that was without Bosa and a few of their other contributors. I do understand any concerns around their secondary moving forward though. 

My rankings:

1. Washington 

2. Denver

3. Pittsburgh 

4. San Francisco 

5. Tampa Bay

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

I think people are sleeping on the 49ers. They had the 6th ranked defense in DVOA by the end of last season, and that was without Bosa and a few of their other contributors. I do understand any concerns around their secondary moving forward though. 

My biggest concern has nothing to do with them, but rather the offensive firepower within their division. The Rams on paper are a lot better, the Hawks still have RW, and the Cardinals have some potential with their passing/receiving game, albeit I'm a hater of their roster makeup since they don't believe in investing in the OL or secondary. 

26 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

My biggest concern has nothing to do with them, but rather the offensive firepower within their division. The Rams on paper are a lot better, the Hawks still have RW, and the Cardinals have some potential with their passing/receiving game, albeit I'm a hater of their roster makeup since they don't believe in investing in the OL or secondary. 

I mean, they ranked 2nd in defensive DVOA in 2019 with their full squad, and 6th last year without their best player. Even though the Rams upgraded at QB, I personally don’t think their division rivals have improved enough on offense as a whole to offset the 49ers getting Bosa and some of their other pieces back.

In addition, the 49ers play a last place schedule this year, and the offense should help the defense much more this year as well. 

2 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

I mean, they ranked 2nd in defensive DVOA in 2019 with their full squad, and 6th last year without their best player. Even though the Rams upgraded at QB, I personally don’t think their division rivals have improved enough on offense as a whole to offset the 49ers getting Bosa and some of their other pieces back.

In addition, the 49ers play a last place schedule this year, and the offense should help the defense much more this year as well. 

They get the NFC North, which depending upon Rodgers could go one way or the other, and the AFC South, who is absolutely horrible, not to mention the Eagles, and what their DL could do to the Bengals is potentially dominant.

I forgot about them getting the last place schedule. That's a great point.

• Like 1

On 5/7/2021 at 2:11 PM, AkronsWitness said:

1) BAL- insane senconday and veterans upfront with breakout potential at LB. They will be preliminary top 5 every year until proven otherwise.

2) TB- watch the superbowl

3) NE- a ton of Covid guys coming back and they invested a ton in free agency/draft. Dont underestimate BB. Especially a mad BB with actual talent now

4) DEN- patrick surtain, kyle fuller and von miller added to a already really good group. Elite secondary to go with elite pass rushers. 2015 is back.

5) WFT- their front 7 is unfair and can win them 5 games as long as they get adequate secondary play

left out: LAR - lost too much for me to put them in top 5. No Johnson, Hill, Brockers, ect make me skeptical they they will be able to be elite. They also dont have another draft pick for 17 years with the Stafford/Ramsey trades and contracts so them trending upwards anytime in the near future is hard to imagine. This is a defense on the way down, not up.

prove it: CLE - one of the most talented defenses on paper that should make QBs lives hell. But its all on paper. I need to see it. I also question how good Joe Woods really is to be able to get a defense to play above their heads, not just perform great because natural talent.

Who are the “Ton of covid guys” coming back for NE

3 hours ago, CP3MVP said:

Who are the “Ton of covid guys” coming back for NE

I mean they had the most Covid opt outs in the NFL. Forgot Chung retired and McCourty wasn't resigned.

So mainly Hightower then. Might have to move them down in my rankings. Thought they still had Chung and both McCourty twins.

On 5/7/2021 at 10:37 PM, BayRaider said:

1) Chicago Bears

2) Washington Football Team

3) Los Angeles Rams

4) Miami Dolphins

5) San Francisco 49ers

6) Green Bay Packers

HM’s: Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Denver Broncos

Green Bay?? Really?? No Baltimore?? Really?? 😉

4 minutes ago, RayLew52 said:

Green Bay?? Really?? No Baltimore?? Really?? 😉

They will be good but who’s rushing the passer?? Oweh is not doing squat his first year. Probably will be a Top 10 Defense, but not expecting a great pass rush.

6 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

I mean they had the most Covid opt outs in the NFL. Forgot Chung retired and McCourty wasn't resigned.

So mainly Hightower then. Might have to move them down in my rankings. Thought they still had Chung and both McCourty twins.

Yeah it’s basically Donta.

The whole covid narrative on this team was the most overblown storyline of the 2020 season