What teams will be the top 5 defenses during the 2021 season?

CP3MVP

Denver is going to field a tremendous defense with a healthy Von. Surtain and Fuller on the outside? And Justin Simmons at safety. I like their chances being good with the pairing of Vic Fangio. They may not be top 5 good but I can see them borderline 5

I'm assuming Tom Brady sustaining long offensive drives also helped the Patriots defense stay fresh most games. I don't see them being a top defense this year. Gilmore likely on the decline too.

Edited by Jeezla

5 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

I'm assuming Tom Brady sustaining long offensive drives also helped the Patriots defense stay fresh most games. I don't see them being a top defense this year. Gilmore likely on the decline too.

This is a super underrated comment. Elite QB’s make your defense legit 5x better. Defenses are purely measured by yards and points given up. A good QB can prevent both of those from happening and give other offenses way less chances. 

14 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

Cam Newton was the QB last year for the 7th best team in terms of points allowed. Not sure this comment holds a ton of water. 

3 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

Cam Newton was the QB last year for the 7th best team in terms of points allowed. Not sure this comment holds a ton of water. 

That doesn’t mean what he said is inaccurate though. Elite QB’s massively help Defensive Positional Rankings. Just common sense. I don’t think he’s saying Brady made Bellichick or anything like that, Bellichick is a defensive mastermind. 

7 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

Yea, field position and time of posession mean nothing.

1 minute ago, BayRaider said:

That doesn’t mean what he said is inaccurate though. Elite QB’s massively help Defensive Positional Rankings. Just common sense. I don’t think he’s saying Brady made Bellichick or anything like that, Bellichick is a defensive mastermind. 

He said top defense this year. I see no reason why they shouldn't improve from 7th overall with the FA additions. Maybe Gilmore declines but not to the point that supersedes the completely revamped front seven that also sees High coming back after a year to freshen up. 

Let me be clear, Brady level of QB play definitely helps a defense. However when discussing the 2021 squad it has no bearing as we already know they can be top 10 without strong QB play. If anything, it was the running game that helped the defense in 2020, and that should be just as good or better in 2021.

2 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

Not what I said. Lack of Brady means nothing as they proved last year that they can still be top 10 without strong QB play. 

Top 10 isn't the same as good. I think a lot of teams would finish top 10 in D with the Patriots annual cupcake schedule.

Edited by Jeezla

11 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

Top 10 isn't the same as good. I think a lot of teams would finish top 10 in D with the Patriots annual cupcake schedule.

The entire premise of this thread is top 5. They were 7th last year and should be better this year given their upgrades via FA. You can have your opinion on whether or not its "good", but it is beyond feasible if not likely they crack the top 5 this year. 

1 minute ago, Deadpulse said:

The entire premise of this thread is top 5. They were 7th last year and should be better this year given their upgrades via FA. You can have your opinion on whether or not its "good", but it is beyond feasible if not likely they crack the top 5 this year. 

They were 7th last year because they played all of 3 QB's that had a good season, and Josh Allen is the only one of those 3 good QB's that NE actually shut down.
Gilmore is on the decline.  Raekwon isn't good. Jalen Mills stinks. Matt Judon and Van Noy are slightly above average pass rushers, maybe. Not really seeing any big upgrades.

Edited by Jeezla

1 minute ago, Jeezla said:

They were 7th last year because they played all of 3 QB's that had a good season, and Josh Allen is the only one of those 3 good QB's that NE actually shut down.

They played who was in front of them and did it better than 25 other defensive units. Not sure what your point is. 

3 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

They played who was in front of them and did it better than 25 other defensive units. Not sure what your point is. 

Context matters
If you play Jets every week and finish 1st in Defense, are you really the best defense? Or are you just playing the worst offense?

Edited by Jeezla

4 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

Context matters

Ok, well, their schedule is supposedly easier this year than last. So top 5 here we come. Context does matter, and as it pertains to this topic, pushes the Patriots even further into the top 5. 

1 minute ago, Deadpulse said:

Ok, well, their schedule is supposedly easier this year than last. So top 5 here we come. Context does matter, and as it pertains to this topic, pushes the Patriots even further into the top 5. 

adam gase is gone, so how did the schedule get easier?