Update: Andrew Luck placed on IR, seeking treatment in Europe

paul-mac

So serious question...what is wrong with the shoulder? I don't even know what the initial surgery was for and I don't know what the continued recovery issue is. Is it just pain? Did something not heal right? Is something torn / separated? I'm completely clueless as to what is going on with him in this regard. It seems crazy that something would be so bad that he can't even get back on the field for a comeback attempt, even if it didn't succeed. 

On 10/23/2017 at 8:00 AM, stallyns said:

Initially in 2015/Week 3,  it was diagnosed as a shoulder strain, he sat for 2 weeks then played a couple games before the lacerated kidney. After the 2015 season they decided not to do surgery and let it heal. It wasn’t until after 2016 that they announced it hadn’t healed like they hoped and decided on surgery. 

I’m torn on the play him/don’t play him argument.

I can see the argument of getting him on the field to see how he fares in real game action before a full offseason, but I also don’t deny that giving him a full offseason of rigorous training could make him more game ready. 

Outside of this past week, aren't the Colts giving up like an average of 4-5 sacks per week?  Why risk him coming back prematurely behind a line that's performing that poorly for a chance at a playoff berth?

On 11/7/2017 at 4:05 PM, The LBC said:

Outside of this past week, aren't the Colts giving up like an average of 4-5 sacks per week?  Why risk him coming back prematurely behind a line that's performing that poorly for a chance at a playoff berth?

The Colts have the most QB hits against this year at 82(!), tied with the 49ers. And the most sacks at 39.

Andrew Luck  has been the most hit QB in the league every single year since entering the league except when he got hurt, now Brissett is the most hit. Were I him, I would get as far away from this tire fire organization as possible.

2 hours ago, EliteTexan80 said:

Ah, blood spinning. Might work. If not, stem cell therapy is probably next to consider.

I think blood spinning is usually last resort, or so I heard. Bradford did the same thing for his knee (regenokine therapy).

I'd hate to see both of their careers derailed due to injury.

11 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

I think blood spinning is usually last resort, or so I heard. Bradford did the same thing for his knee (regenokine therapy).

I think Peyton Manning also had it done for his neck, prior to his Denver stint. 

I'm no doctor, but I've only heard good results from the "Kobe treatment". Granted, I don't think they'd openly advertise if they had failures...

21 hours ago, EliteTexan80 said:
21 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

I think Peyton Manning also had it done for his neck, prior to his Denver stint. 

I'm no doctor, but I've only heard good results from the "Kobe treatment". Granted, I don't think they'd openly advertise if they had failures...

Peyton was a stem cell treatment. They reprogrammed induced pluripotent stem cells and injected them into his neck in order to attempt to regrow tissue and nerves. That didn’t take, however. 

From what I’ve seen, it’s basically the cost and accessibility that’s the reason orthokine/regenokine isn’t more widely used. But a good number of players have used it.

K.J. Wright, Jesse Williams, Cliff Avril, Michael Bennett, Tyler Lockett, Luke Joeckel, and Michael Wilhoite have all had it done. Seattle saw good returns with the treatment Wright and Williams received, then basically sent every player with a knee issue out to get the treatment this summer.

"In a packed Chicago operating room on July 14, Dr. Anthony Romeo prepared for one of the most important surgeries of his career. Fellow surgeons, orthopedic residents, nurses, a videographer and a photographer gathered at the Rush University Medical Center, eager to watch their colleague perform a surgery he had never attempted.

On any patient, the procedure would carry enormous responsibility. But that day, Romeo's patient was former Cy Young winner and Chicago White Sox pitcher Jake Peavy. He had entrusted his $52 million throwing arm to Romeo after he tore his right latissimus dorsi tendon completely off the bone.

It was a rare injury. No major leaguer had been known to fully tear the tendon, which connects the latissimus dorsi muscle to the humerus bone and helps transfer the force of pitching from the legs to the arm."

Possible....

On 11/12/2017 at 10:36 AM, iPwn said:

If I were to guess, he’s over there getting an Orthokine treatment. 

I could not for the life of me remember how I heard this before, until someone said the Kobe treatment. Its were they take your blood, invoke the power of the science demons - infusing it with blood sacrifices of 10 virgin goats, put the blood back in your body, make you half man half wolverine. 

But IIRC, doesnt this treatment not last very long? And its not FDA approved in the US? So is he just planning to go get his injections once a month or whatever?

I really hope Luck recovers. He's such an incredible talent and really fun to watch.

On 11/14/2017 at 1:32 PM, EliteTexan80 said:

Ryan Tannehill's stem cell therapy in hopes to repair his knee was a failure.

Regardless, SCT is still an experimental procedure. It's a potential treatment with theoretical abilities and should only be used in addition to proven methods in hopes of reducing rehabilitation times.

Archived