Is Greg Newsome a better cb prospect than Tyson Campbell

Charles

10 hours ago, Adrenaline_Flux said:

you wanted to get opinions from other people but didn't expect to receive different opinions from other people? I'm not sure what you intended or expected. and I don't mean that in any sort of negative way. I've enjoyed reading this thread and that includes reading your perspective on things, but am a little confused by this reply. 

I didn't mean to sound pouty, but after rereading my post I can see how it might come across that way.  What I meant was for more of a direct comparison between etn, campbell and Cisco vs Newsome, Holland, & Carter.  

I understand there no way to guarantee any of those prospects would have been available later, and didn't really intend for it to be a criticism on draft strategy.  Just more of a what if comparison. 

3 hours ago, pwny said:

Hey man, we’re all welcome to our differing opinions. There’s been times I was fervently in the minority as I disliked a strategy as well; sometimes wrong, sometimes right.

I don’t necessarily agree with the entirety of the draft strategy either. I even did a deep dive into Trent Baalke’s history with knee injuries that showed that we’re taking on some big risk with some of the guys we had. In the draft rankings thread that goldfishwars is doing in NFL Gen, I believe I noted potential issues with every player we selected from round 2-5. I didn’t do a deep dive into every prospect, but I’m sure there was reason to believe there better options there at each spot. 

It’s just that I have been pegging ETN as an extremely likely target to be taken at 25 for like the entirety of the offseason as soon as we learned Urban was coming here, largely because I was expecting the team to make it a high priority to get a player that can run all the diverse sets that Urban wants to run. It may not be “great value” to select a RB at 25, but it always seemed like getting the best possible player to run that scheme is what they were going to do, and I felt that ETN was the best guy for that.

It’s okay if we disagree. We probably disagreed on many other draft selections through the years. You also aren’t alone in your thinking. I know pre-draft @LinderFournette had the same view and we had some arguments about the value between ETN at 25 and taking Carter later. And I’m sure many outside of the Jags forum on here believe the same. 

It's cool.  I'm not heart broken over our picks, and I'm still very high on our chances going forward.  Just not much else to do right now other than nitpick over our draft 😀

People get so caught up on "value". True be told...most drafts may only have 1-3 players that pan out from any given draft class. You don't draft based on the assumption that the guy you can get in the next round can pan out. If you have a high grade on a player...don't get cute. This isn't fantasy football, where you are hoping that the draft will snake around to land your sleeper. Very few of these guys pan out.

• Like 1