kurgan's view of the draft class-fits/projections

kurgan

OK... I wanted to a bit more of a writeup on these guys than just grades.  I've slept a couple of nights and done more research on these guys, and I thought I would talk about what I see on film, fits in Pitt, and what I think they can be.

1.  Najee Harris-Drafted to be the face of the franchise here in the conclusion of Ben's reign, and for the years after Ben.  I think this is 100% a signal that we are going back to what made us a problem to begin with back in day.  Both in support of Ben now and to lead the team to the next story, whatever that is.  I have been on record that I would not have made this pick, but in hindsight, it makes both sense from a value and fit.  There were no OL that would have been worth more.  Plus, this sets the tone.

Fit:  Harris is everything you want in a lead back.  He has the measurables, the experience, the character and the drive/determination to lead this franchise.  I don't buy the notion of a 5 year player, I think that if he is the guy, we will take care of him.  He walks in as the alpha dog, and you can pencil him in for all 3 downs, 30 carries, pass pro or route running, running over or around guys and all of the other stuff that you want in a true lead back.  I see a lot of young Matt Forte in his game.  He is going to tote the rock as much as you want him to, and does not need to come off on passing downs.  He is a receiving threat AND a pass pro help.  He is do-it-all and I have come around.  If we are truly going to go back to what made us fearsome to begin with, it is running the football when and how we want to.  He can run Canada's stuff, Power stuff, spread stuff, all of it.

Projection:  Floor of this pick is 5 years of steady production, and never becoming a breakout star.  He becomes a target after Ben retires, and people load up to stop us, and he gets worn down and leaned on.  No downfield passing game in transition leads to more hits, more miles, more frustration.  The ceiling is everything we got will LeVeon Bell, but with the high character and workrate that would allow him to stay in Black and Gold.  A true leadback that takes us to the SB multiple times, helps ease the transition to the next QB, and is a fixture at the Pro Bowl. With his good works in the community, his attitude and demeanor, I can see him being a Steeler lifer.

2. Pat Freiermuth- I was floored when I heard this.  I was 100% expecting OL/defense.  I shouldn't have been surprised, but I was.  I done some work on him as I thought he was a longshot unless we got to 87 and he was being passed on.  But, the more I watch him, the more I like him.  I am not sure where the national media gets the poor blocking stuff.  Sure, 2020 was rough with the shoulder injuries, but look at '19.  He is not a killer like Tremble and Kittle who look to murder people, but more of a guy who sees blocking as a means to an end.  He is a master of H-Back blocking on whams, split zones and wrap blocks.  Again, not going to de-cleat people but he is going to be an issue.  He IS bigger than he looks, being 260.  Staying with blocking, he stays on blocks and does finish people.  A lot of his knocks are on breakaway speed and seam killers, but he is just not that TE.  He is not a flex weapon that is a mismatch with S/LB, he an inline/move TE guy that can block an EMOL and be a weapon in the passing game as well.  Do not expect seam busters or speed stuff, but he is great route runner that takes advantage of his body and IQ to get open on big catches.

Fit: I think the biggest thing this does is fix 11 personnel (which we play like 60% of the time).  Let's be honest, Ebron is NOT a TE.  Without McDonald, he had to play the TE and it showed when running out of 11.  NOW, 'muth is the TE.  Line him up on the LOS, or at H-Back to help with runs/seams and let Ebron become a true mismatch weapon.  You can pick who you want at X, Z and slot now, without jamming a non-blocking peg into the hole to play 11.  He is not a liability in 10 either, you can put him on the backside away from Trips, and see if they waste a CB, or put a LB/S out there.  12 is now nasty, as maybe EE can play the wing, and Harris can follow 'Muth.  You can even be creative with 13, and allow Haeg to be the blocking TE and move 'Muth around, OR bring back Gentry, who fits Canada's scheme as an H-Back as well.  This will reduce boxes and leave our WR on islands out wide.

Projection:  Floor is a serviceable blocking TE that gets some catches but not enough to move the needle much, like a smaller Matt Spaeth that we talk about we overdrafted.  Ceiling is a better blocking Zach Ertz.  His advanced route running and ability to get open will translate right away to the league and his blocking is just good enough.  When healthy, I see him as another long term Steeler TE that is a mix of Heath Miller and a better Vance McDonald that really unlocks a lot of this offense and moves EE to a better spot, but also will be a guy that can work to be a security blanket for both Ben and whatever QB comes after him to make safe first down throws.

3. Kendrick Green- This is not the C I was expecting.  I figured that Meinerz was too small school, Dickerson was too hurt, and I am not sure what took Humphrey off but I was more focused on Myers being the whole OSU connection, but this one came sorta out of left field for me.  I knew Klemm was there and worked him out, but being more of a guard and only playing 3 years was suspect, but the Steelers really seemed OK with the whole thing.  Based on the Harris announcement, this is C all the way.  I went back to the tape, and did not see much C, but what I see at LG makes me happy.  He plays super low and gets off the ball.  He finishes dudes with some nastiness and is OK with playing through the whistle.  He is also very fast off the ball, which tells me that not only is his technique squared away, but he knows what his assignment is and has the confidence to do it.  How he will snap and step is still to be seen, but I am on the wagon for now.  The off the field stuff is great, and he is already saying/doing the right thing and seems to have the right mindset that we want.

Fit:  Nothing about Pitt screams handing people jobs, and he will have to work for it by beating out Finney.  I would expect in camp to have Finney run as C #1, with Green taking 2nd team reps.  As we get further in camp, it will be a more even split.  As we enter the season, I would expect Finney to still start with his knowledge of the offense and experience.  Green is the backup IOL.  As we get to mid-season or even by the bye week, Green will quietly assume the starting gig and Finney will move to backup IOL.

Projection: Floor is a power blocking LG that is never able to transition to C or get used to Pro level Pass blocking.  Ceiling is the next All-Pro Steelers Center.  I think he is the type of kid that can make the move to C and really own it for 10-12 years.  The more I watch/read about this kid, the better I like him.  I think that he is a Steeler that flew under the radar except for one poster on here....

4a. Dan Moore Jr.- A surprise pick here to address a position of need, I thought 100% this was going to be defensive pick.  An athletic but not nasty tackle, a guy that will stay at tackle, IMO.  He does not fit our mold of Guard picks, who are nasty maulers, Moore is a different type of 6'5" 320.  I hate to label it more of a finesse player, but I see a lot of dancing bear as opposed to smashmouth brawler in Moore's game.  As strictly tackle depth, we could do worse than Moore.  He looks technical on film, and has nice feet and placement of hands that looks very coached.  There are areas that concern me, but as I read somewhere else, I do think those can be coached up or schemed around.  Fast power rushers do give him fits, but I think these can be ironed out.

Fit:  Redshirt year as 4th OT that is on the 53 but does not wear a helmet on gameday.  Haeg is the swing tackle/3rd TE so Moore can learn a year, get bigger and more refined.  Down the road, I can see Moore being in the mix for tackle spots, and cushion the loss of Haeg and/or Chuks.

Projection:  Floor is not being able to catch up to pass rushers, and kicking inside where he is a sound guard, but not a mauler.  He would then need to leave for a different, zone blocking system.  Ceiling is a fixture at RT/LT for 8-10 years as a solid player who may stumble into a Pro Bowl once or twice but otherwise be a non-worry RT/LT that we can just count on every year.  I see him more of a project but with the right coaching and time, he could be at worst a swing tackle or solid starter at RT that we look to upgrade at times, but mostly don't worry about. 

4b. Buddy Johnson-For the first defensive selection, I was.... less than impressed.  Strictly on need, I had Edge and CB above ILB.  On more film review, I really feel like a lot of what I saw was confirmed.  This guy is a sawed off/more athletic version of Vince Williams.  He has way more range, but way less instincts outside of the tackle box as VWill.  He is best used as a see ball/hit ball ILB.  Flourishes in staying clean and fitting into gaps and getting guys on the ground.  I am not impressed with his outside the tackle box ability since he seems slow to diagnose what is going on, and his speed is mitigated.  Coverage reps are not great as man was not used at all, and his zone drops are not impressive to begin with and his height does not help.

Fit:  Early down run stuffer in base 3-4, the heir apparent to VWill.  Can line up next to Bush in base and be able to play downhill and plug gaps and make tackles.  More importantly for 2021, he is a 4 phase special teamer.  He should be on EVERYTHING.  He has speed and determination to cover KO, block on KOR, run down punts and block some.  When VWill goes into coaching, Johnson becomes the new base LB.  Interesting room right now with Bush, VWill, Spillane, Allen, UG3 and maybe Brooks.  Assuming normal numbers, we are looking at 4 guys with Bush as the 3 down, VWill as the early down partner and either Allen or Spillane as the 3rd down guy and Johnson as the ST ace.  Not sure where Brooks fits into all of this, but this should be a real fun Training camp.

Projection: Floor is ST ace only with very little playablity due to instincts, even on early downs.  He could have a job in the league as a guy like Matkevich as just a ST guy.  Ceiling is as an early down beast early that learns just enough (or is used differently than at A+M) and allowed to use his athleticism on 3rd downs as a spy or plugger off of Bush.  This would take him off of ST, but make him a more whole LB.  I'd project the middle ground where he is a base package player and an above average to elite ST guy.

5. Isaiahh Loudermilk- It is entirely possible to hate the trade and like the player.  This is the case.  First, the trade.  A 2022 4th rounder in what will be a historically deep draft (Seniors given the extra year by NCAA) and in which we will most likely need ammo to trade up in the draft for a QB is not ideal, IMO.  I realize we will get comp picks, but burning one on a 5th rounder was not great to me.  Assuming BEST case, we will get 3 picks and now will have one less to trade OR to draft other positions of need with.  Add in that we did not draft a falling stud or even a position of need, makes it so worse for me.

All of that said, I do like Loudermilk as a player.  I had him in several of my mocks as a UDFA.  In film, he shows to be as a heady and smart two gapping DE that will not get knocked out of his gap and is smart with his leverage and active hands.  His four point stance is nasty, and he gets out fast and squats in his gap and presses OL off of him.  His arms are an issue for OL, and he is tough to root out of gaps.  He is outstanding at soaking up doubles and keeping backers free.  He makes tackles of opportunity as well getting some TFLs and lucky sacks in hard work and grindy plays.  He is a mismatch as well when he goes into an under front and is over a guard, who he can press and keep away if they have T-Rex arms.

Fit:  There are two types of 3-4 DL.  Quick and twitchy one gappers who attack a gap and get into the backfield and create havoc.  The other is the strong and patient, soaking up blockers and creating creases for LBs to make tackles.  Neither is right or wrong, and ideally, you can find guys that do both at will.  But, those like Heyward and Tuitt do not grow on trees.  So, you grab a guy that is good at one of them, and at least they can do that well, and you hope they can turn it on when they need to.  In recent years, we have gone to more of the former (Buggs, Davis) with mixed results.  We end up coming back to guys like the latter (Mondeaux, Wormley, Alualu) to really take the snaps when the rubber meets the road.  IF (big if) Loudermilk plays this year, it will be as an early down spell for one of the Big 3 on obvious running downs.  He and Wormley can be the early down pluggers that let Bush and the boys run to the football.  They come off as neither are good pass rushers, and Heyward/Tuitt or even Buggs/Davis come in to play 3rd and long over the guards in the 2-4-5.  Mondeaux is strange as he seems to have ST chops, and I have no idea of Loudermilk can run down KOs.  Maybe a bear on Punt??  I have no idea.

Projection:  Floor is he can never find his niche and be an early down defender and does not develop any high down potential and washes out as an unproductive player.  Ceiling is becoming a stout defender and is just good enough to be playable on 3rd down as an interior rusher/pass knock down guy (I'd love him to show enough to be Alualu's NG heir apparent... how fun would that be) along with contributing on ST.  More realistically, I see a grinder in the mold of Aaron Smith/Wormley with the talent and results somewhere between the two.  Perfectly fine on early downs as a defender but by no means a Pro-Bowler, but taken off in nickel packages.

6. Quincy Roche-Steal of the draft for us.  Played a lot of in the stance end at Miami, but stood up at Temple.  Mentality and athleticism to play true standup edge.  Leadership on and off the field, has high character.  Dude is NFL ready as a pass rusher, and I have no idea why he was still here.  Can walk out on Day 1 and get after the passer in drills.  Understands technique and styles, and attacks different OTs in different ways.  Has quick anticipation and has smart feet and hands.  However, I have real concerns about his edge setting/run defense.  I don't think it was a want to, and without knowing anything about Miami's defense, I think he was tasked with getting after the passer and damn the torpedos.  He showed willingness to wrong arm and take on pullers (esp NC game) and at least the technical know-how, but too many times he was caught hunting and pecking for the ball carrier instead of just doing his job and getting his gap.  Exciting guy who is moldable clay to some degree but also a refined pass rusher that will show out in opportunities.  Does drop some on film to limited zones.

Fit: #3 Edge rusher on Day 1.  Follows Watt around with a notebook and becomes an annoying pest.  Learns the plays, and works with Butler on edge setting and dropping.  Takes every #2 rep with Cassius Marsh and Boogie Watson/Jamir Jones.  Never rests.  Plays all special teams.  Week 1 will get ST snaps and 10-15 reps in obvious pass rushing situations where he can turn loose.  As we go on, will play more and more as a rotation and on early downs.

Projection:  Floor is essentially a ST player and designated pass rusher only who never figures out how to stop the run.  Will hang around and bounce on and off the roster and will be taken advantage of as he has no counters or anything else.  Ceiling is a Kevin Greene blend of pass rush and edge setting with a nasty attitude and high IQ.  My hope and projection leads to a year of spot duty as OLB#3, then expanded playbook and more 3 OLB sets in 2022.

7a. Tre Norwood-Another guy that sent me to the film room.  Before I even looked, I saw his measureables and thought he was very small.  I saw that he was 162 in HS, and worked to put on good weight and held his own in the pass happy BIG12.  An ACL sent him to Safety, but he was a small but technically sound corner guy.  On film I see a small but polished CB who I can see as being the ultimate move weapon in the secondary.  In 2020 film, I notice a real hitch in his giddy up, and he just looks slower either in unsureness of where he is going or not trusting the knee.  But, his value at S and CB is ideal.  His ball instincts are crazy.  He always seems to be around the ball and ready to make a play.

Fit:  It would be really easy to say nickel, since we have an opening and most projections put him there (more on this in a bit).  But, I am of the notion that I do not want him anywhere near run contain or in the box.  He is not super small or unwilling, it is more of a putting a player in position to succeed.  To me, I see him as either the dime player or 3rd safety in nickel.  Roll him in there deep 1/2 with Minkah and let Edmunds play SS.  As the 6th DB in dime, he could play high, or pattern match the slot without having much if any run contain.  Even though I see him repping nickel due to lack of bodies, his frame and instincts there will get him targeted unless he can prove like Hilton that he can play up to it.  Even in a 3-2-6 or 4-1-6 dime package, he can move around and be used as a man match weapon without being left to help with run.  Lack of special teams value might hurt as well with his less than ideal testing #s.

Projection:  Floor is bottom of the roster/PS guy for a year or two as he sticks around and learns enough to beat out UDFAs and less experienced guys before succumbing to true position players.  Ceiling for me is finding a niche and owning it, leading to nickel/dime roles for him as either a high safety or matchup slot/WR eraser.  I think trying to project him into a traditional football role is going to be impossible, much like Antoine Brooks.  But, I think he can make some sense as a true dimeback (not dimbacker...) who can play rover, single or split Safety, or an off man slot back/S combo.

7b. Pressley Harvin III-Let's get it out of the way... dude is 5'11 260.  That is BIG for a punter.  He is not fat either, he is solid. He has a gut, but is not just the chubby guy that punts.  He was an elite kicker in high school, and Ga Tech kicked ALOT these past few years as their offense sucks.  His numbers seem pretty good for a college punter, and did have shanks and OOB kicks that weren't pretty, but his average was great and he won the Ray Guy Award, and those guys must know enough about punters to know what is good.  The 3 major things that I notice are: he is quick to kick, he is consistent with his form/technique/follow through, and he fills the lanes and even though I didn't see him make a tackle, he didn't just run off the field.  Oh, and his college average is higher than Berry's.

Fit:  Out of the box pro style punter.  No conversion to rugby punts.  No flipping protection to a lefty.  No teaching him how to hold.  He can walk out there, get his distances and go.  As far as the 'competition,' I am torn, TBH.  Steelers usually veer to vets if thing are close, but spending draft capital is something else.  If he was a UDFA, I'd pick Berry.  Being a drafted punter tells me: 1) they wanted to make sure they got him and couldn't trust the UDFA process and 2) they wanted HIM and not Christman or Duffy, because he is more pro ready.  In addition, Berry was already cut last year and only when Colquitt bombed was he brought back.

Projection:  Floor is losing out to Berry, floating around the league and maybe catching on with someone else for a while.  Ceiling is beating Berry, punting like crazy and working with pro trainers and coaches and being the best punter in the league.  Stalwart on holds and even has fakes that make Sportcenter.  I hate to be drab, but I could see anything in between.  I am hopeful of a solid, long career in Pittsburgh. 

UDFA (alphabetical order):

Shakur Brown, CB, Michigan State- Closest 1:1 for Mike Hilton, and best nickel fit for us in this draft class.  Pure, pure, pure nickel back who is built a bit bigger but slower than Hilton, but has some of the same tools.  Best in a zone/pattern match scheme as a NB who is a zone defender and occasional blitzer who is not a liability against the run but not the best either.  But, a heady and heads up football player.

Fit: Nickel back.  More in the mold of Sutton than Hilton, but a cover first guy who can blitz on occasion.  Room is fat with outside CBs (Pierre, Layne, Sutton, Haden) and skinny with slot guys (Trevor Williams) and unless Layne/Pierre goes outside and Sutton to slot on nickel, Brown is in the mix for sure.  With nickel being 50-60% of snaps, he might have to beat out WIlliams to convince coaches to keep Sutton outside.  Can't see a ST role with size/speed concerns.

Projection:  Floor is a washout that gets exposed in camp.  Ceiling is beating WIlliams, earning the trust of coaches, and slowly building playing time ala Hilton and being a core part of the D before signing a big contract elsewhere.  My hope is that he makes the 53 as a CB option, learns the system, and competes in 2022 for a starting gig/more PT.  I can see a Hilton-esque path for Brown.

Calvin Bundage, LB, Oklahoma State- Second bonus guy (Brown got a HUGE payday) for a player who seems to be an old-school SS/Rover type of kid who plays very frenetically.  Part edge rusher, part Mike Backer, part designated blitzer, part man cover backer, I he is all over the place in both a good and bad way.  Good is that he is in a hurry and super aggressive.  He seems to know his assignment/lane and has no issue blowing people up.  Bad in that he has so many wasted movements.  Poor footwork, poor angles, poor reactions, poor countermoves, and just a lot of simple running around or hopping in place.

Fit:  I have no clue here, guys.  I don't even know what position group to put him in.  I *guess* you could argue sub-package ILB as a cover backer makes the most sense, but most reps are a subpackage edge rusher.  He is not a true edge at 6'1" 220.  If *I* were a DC with a kid like this (which I have had) we turned him into a RB spy on long downs.  If the RB runs a route, cover him.  If he stays in to block, blitz to free up a rusher.  I realize this is not translatable to the NFL, but I am not really sure what he is for us.  Best guess is the subpackage ILB.   But, what might be elite for Bundage is ST ability.  I could see him as an ILB version of Dangerfield 

Projection: Floor is camp body till cut downs.  Ceiling is rotational ILB that follows the Spillane track of being good enough to carry as ILB #4, but being a special teams ACE.  Most logically, I think that with the addition of Johnson and VWill coming back, this is going to be a tough row to hoe.

Rico Bussey, WR, Hawaii- Shorter guy that is not a slot, but a route runner who works wide and runs smart routes to work himself open.  Not a blazer, but a smart, oily, slippery guy who knows how to get open and make big catches.  Willing blocker who is a hearts and smarts type player.  Moved around a bit in college and did tear his ACL, but a guy that is not like what we have in our room.  Not a contested catch guy or a YAC machine, but a solid player who can and will find weaknesses in defenses.

Fit: 3rd/4th team Z WR.  Depending on deployment, he is in a pool with some of the guys signed after Pro Days and futures guys.  He will not work with Ben, but be lower on the food chart, working with Haskins and Rudolph as a safe bet to work to get open and give them confidence.  With McKoy/Brown/Johnson being more jump ball guys, Sexton a shifty slot guy and Simmons being a pure burner, Bussey can be a calm and patient guy to run the routes to get open.

Projection: Floor is camp body/PS guy who will know the playbook and can play in a pinch.  Ceiling is a #3 type who can man a position and work to get open and stress CBs with his IQ and routes rather than physical traits.  I can see Bussey as a guy that hangs around on the PS for a year or so, working with Rudolph and Haskins and having their ear in training camp 2022.  Being a steady and vet presence, he can hang around the back end of the roster/PS and be a guy that if everyone else goes down or you need a guy who knows what to do, he can do it for you.  I like the comp of Donte Moncreif or Cobi Hamilton as guys that hang around teams for a while and know what to do in a 'break glass in case of emergency' situation.

Mark Gilbert, CB, Duke-The mystery man.  A name that I never read about or heard about before the draft and UDFA.  Basically didn't play the last three years due to a nasty hip injury for two years and then an ankle injury last year.  So, if you look at his Fresh and Soph seasons, he should have been a 2-3 round corner.  But, what does the injury cost him and what does it mean??  If fully healed and ready to go, he is a short but tough outside corner who has the man skills to be a 3rd/4th option.  If he is still hurt/favoring/not as explosive, he won't be as dynamic.  Pro Day measurables were off the chart, and he says he is good to go so we will see.  His ONLY real knock is deep speed, which is legit.

Fit:  IF healthy, he is competition for Pierre and Layne for CB #3/#4.  Even though he is slot capable, I would not play him there right away.  I don't like him as much there as I do as a true outside CB.  He doesn't fear the run, I just want comp outside.  Plus, I think with Brown, Williams and Sutton's versatility, we have enough to sort out there.  Not really seeing a path on ST as a gunner without long speed, so he will have to earn it as a true CB.  And, being older, I think he has one shot.

Projection:  Instead of floor/ceiling, this is either/or.  Either he is healthy and impressive and takes a job on the 53 or he is on the street.  I personally don't see much value in a 24 year old hurt and/or slow CB on the PS when there will be guys cut that fit that bill off of other teams. 

Isaiah McKoy, WR, Kent State- I actually got on this kid when he was in HS (Huge UGA fan, in-state kid) and saw what he was doing in HS a little bit, and saw the same things in college.  I don't know much about McKoy personally or the Kent State coaching staff, but he is same player then as he is now, just more filled out.  6'3", 200 is legit.  Quick but not fast.  Good route runner but has drop issues.  Jump ball guy that wins vertically, draws PI calls and thats about it.  Unwilling/non-physical blocker, takes plays off, no ST value.

Fit:  Outside Z WR in the JW mold.  Immediate competition is Brown/Johnson on the 3rd/4th line.  Needs to work on his craft before, during and after practice.  Find the JUGS machine (with Simmons, BTW) and do thousands of reps.  Find a route tree that is more than verts.  Find something on ST to do (no gunner or returner...)

Projection:  Floor is getting cut for a rookie tryout player.  Ceiling is PS for 2021, with a chance to be more in 2022 if/when JW leaves.

Donovan Stiner, S, Florida-As much as I hate FU, I really do like this player.  #13 was always an annoying player to watch and I thought he was there forever.  Stiner was a steady presence at center field, doing just enough to keep the defense from breaking, but not enough to be a highly graded and drafted player.  He has good size, decent speed, good reps and is OK at keeping everything in front of him and making plays.  The style of Defense that FU runs is predicated on bending and not breaking, so you need a heady guy in the back to prevent homeruns.  Stiner was good at covering up mistakes of guys in front of him.  He does have technical flaws, especially in tackling and angles, but his experience and coachablity should more than make up for it.

Fit: FS #3/#4 off the bat (Minkah, Battle, Wade) with a legit chance to pass Battle.  I am not sure of the safety pairings with Brooks and whatnot, but Stiner is 100% a FS guy who will work the same stuff as Minkah.  I'd keep him out of the box and let him use his instincts deep.  On ST, I can see him being included in all 4 phases as he was one of the main ST players at FU.  Unfortunatly, the same can be said about another UDFA we will talk about in a moment.

Projections:  As with all the UDFAs, floor is going to be getting axed on the first cut.  I can see one of Battle, Stiner or Wade staying as a PS safety, and Stiner does have a chance.  Ceiling is showing enough to take the Dangerfield Safety #4/ST hat.  Realistically, I see a PS year for Stiner and then depending on what happens with Edmunds a chance to stick around long term.

Lamont Wade, S, Penn State- Great story, great kid, feel-good Rudy story, and the only issues are things he can't control.  His size is going to be a big issue here.  He has all of the grit, determination, desire, want to and tenacity you could ask for, and plays with the permanent chip on his shoulder.  He IS fast, and he WILL light you up.  He will throw all 175 lbs on you in a hurry.  All of the things you want in a guy like McKoy are there in spades for Wade.  Doesn't miss games, high character, plays any and all ST.

Fit:  See Stiner above.  I can only really see Wade as a FS.  He would get killed in the slot, and is a liability in the run.  Even in coverage, he is pretty bad in man.  The only spot I can see him playing on defense is as a true centerfielder FS.  His balls skills and awareness are above grade, and that would be the way to use him.  That would put him in the camp with Stiner as FS types.  Honestly, not being disrespectful, being the same size as Avery Williams who they asked to take offensive reps, I might see if we can make something of a slot/gimmick guy with him.  The major difference in Stiner and Wade as far as fit is that Wade is worth more on ST being a returner and being able to play on all 4 phases with his speed and aggression.  

Projections:  Same as Stiner.  Assuming they both can pass Battle, it would be interesting to see if they see Wade's ST value more important than Stiner who could actually take defensive reps.  Wild card is if Wade goes to Offense, then we are having a different discussion.  I can see Wade's love for the game and don't quit attitude maybe making the difference.

Jamar Watson, LB, Kentucky-My fave UDFA.  IMO, a total steal here that has the clearest path to the 53.  Dude is a try hard Edge that does have measurable issues that made him fall, but he gets over it with tenacity, desire and just plain aggression and want to.  His SAQ is sick, and he is a force when he is coming forward either in pass rush, setting the edge or chasing backside.  Way more of an effort/motor guy than a power guy, that can be fixed with coaching and technique.  Add in high level competition day in and out, and this is a total win-win.  SEC player AND already a OLB makes this a done deal.  Can rush, set the edge AND play in flats/coverage some.

Fit:  As with Roche, get a notebook and follow Highsmith and Watt around and be a pest.  I'd expect him to start on the 3rd team with Jones while Marsh and Roche play in group 2.  Over time, I fully expect Watson to pass Marsh and become Edge #4.  At the same time, he will become a ST stalwart and be counted on for snaps on all 4 phases.  Work on the power component of his game, and refine fits and flows, and work more on coverage responsibilites.

Projection:  Floor is, as always, getting cut in the 90, BUT I think the floor is really the PS.  A guy like Watson, even if not as ready as I think, would be in a year on the PS.  Worst case for me is that he takes a year to get better, get reps, and Marsh or a UFA play Edge #4 for 2021.  Ceiling is Edge #3 if he shows more in the run game/cover game than Roche.  If Roche can't get it right straight away, Watson could pass him for Edge #3, but I would think they would get a UFA first, BUT there is a chance he shows this well in camp.  I fully expect Watson to win and play Edge #4 all season, getting a handful (50-ish) on true defense but EATING on ST snaps and making himself a value guy.  As he gets better and better, he and Roche become a force that cannot be ignored.

Thanks for those of you still reading!!!  This was fun!!  If you have any questions/thoughts, please share them with me!!!

• Like 6

Excellent write up @kurgan. I appreciate the effort that went into this. I'll make notes as I read through. 

- Re: Friermuth. I think your assessment on him is spot on. I have not seen others make this comparison but he looks like maybe a slight less athletic version of Kelce. Good but not great blocker. Wins in the pass game with physicality, route running, and awareness. People don't realize Kelce isn't all that athletic, he rarely just runs by guys. He uses physicality and elite footwork (Friermuth has great feet as well). Both are the exact same size at 6-5 260lbs. Friermuth has great hands like Kelce as well. I LOVE the mean steak he plays with. Reminds me of Gronk when he has the ball in his hands. I am NOT saying Friermuth will be a combo of Gronk and Kelce but there are parts of his game that relate. 

- Re: Green. I am very confident in Green. Steelers are low key very good at finding/drafting IOL. Dotson, Foster, DDC and Pouncey (I know they were 1st round picks but both turned into perineal pro-bowlers so they deserve credit). It's obvious Green was their guy, as you mentioned they passed on all the other top centers for him so I have faith he will be our starting center for the next 8-10 years. 

- Re: Loudermilk trade. My biggest gripe with the trade, other than the obvious that you mentioned is what was the urgency to move up and take him? Did they really thing one of the teams they moved "ahead" of was going to take him? Us as fans will never know but man that just seemed like an irresponsible trade. It's almost like they went into the draft predetermined to give away a 2022 pick for a 2021 pick regardless of who it was for. 

- Re: Roche. I've been telling myself we traded our 2022 pick for Roche and used this pick on Loudermilk. Makes it a lot easier to digest. Hope you're right that he can be the 3rd OLB day 1. He ate up FSU's crappy O-Line last year. I remember thinking he looked like a day 2 pick watching that game. 

-Re: Harvin III - The thing that excites me about him is as you mentioned running fake punts. Tomlin loves a random fake punt. I'm thinking of the suprise Golden pass to DHB that NO ONE saw coming against the Bengals. Lets hope he turns out better than our last over-sized drafted punter Daniel Sepulveda. 

• Like 2

Great write up, @kurganI always appreciate how much effort and analysis you put into things around here. It's one of the things that really makes this a cool community. I agree with most of your analysis too. As I watched some Loudermilk stuff after he was drafted I was impressed. I haven't looked much at Roche's stuff from Temple, but it seems like that will be the best place to see how his game will translate with us. I think you're right about the Green/Finney situation. I see Green starting by mid season. Finney is a valuable player, but not as a starting Center. I'd imagine he's probably in the bottom tier in terms of starting Centers in the league. With the top two picks, I came aways fairly impressed. I think Harris is the type of RB you spend a first rounder on. Especially a late 1st. He's a considerably better prospect than CEH was last year. He and Freiermuth will definitely improve the toughness of the offense. Pat doesn't get enough credit for how physical he is running routes and after the catch. He falls forward when he's tackled every time. He's almost never stood up and driven back. I could see him being somewhere in between Kelce and Heath. I see him being open a lot underneath with the bevy of outside weapons we have. How does a defense stop Claypool, Diontae/Juju(whichever we end up keeping), Freiermuth, and Harris? That's a big, physical bunch, but also with speed and route running ability sprinkled in. I do wish we had another really vertical WR. Claypool needs to work on tracking the deep ball. 

• Like 3

20 hours ago, kurgan said:

OK... I wanted to a bit more of a writeup on these guys than just grades.  I've slept a couple of nights and done more research on these guys, and I thought I would talk about what I see on film, fits in Pitt, and what I think they can be.

@kurganAs always, great write-up, detail, thought, and depth. I get teased for being long-penned on here, but I love reading the quality and depth of your posts. 

1.  Najee Harris-Drafted to be the face of the franchise here in the conclusion of Ben's reign, and for the years after Ben.  

I think the Steelers are drafting more players of character/integrity than entertaining characters. His talent on the football field is hard to ignore, but the other qualities certainly contributed to this being an easy decision. 

I can see him being a Steeler lifer.

That is certainly the hope if he can stay healthy and productive. I would hope that the Steelers do not try to run him until his legs fall off so to speak. Utilize the other backs in some situations: Snell, McFarland, Samuels or Ballage. I also wouldn't mind a few plays to FB Watt who can do more than throw a lead block. The trend for bell-cow backs has not been good of late. The body takes a great pounding due to the evolution and physics of the game and players.  

2. Pat Freiermuth- I was floored when I heard this.  - - Not me! 😉😁 I think he is the next Mark Bruener/Heath Miller for the Steelers combining some traits of both. Not great at any one thing, but solid to good at most everything. Won't blow you away with speed, but I think he will sneak past some people deep. I think fourth and one against the WFT and with Najee and Pat on the field, the Steelers score there. They are a better offense and football team with these two players. Your analysis of what the offense can do is spot on. The possibilities and combinations are endless.

3. Kendrick Green- This is not the C I was expecting.  - - Me either. Not because he was an unknown. I hoped they would go for a mauler like Creed, Quinn or Myers.

I initially thought more Pouncey, but  now I see more Dawson. A few pointed out prior to the draft how the Steelers love their athletic C's. I hoped and believed they would change that somewhat.  I have no problems with athletes, but prefer punchers to boxers when it comes to the rushing attack. This kid looks like a boxer who can punch (so to speak). He can be the next in a great line of Steelers C's. A lot of football and career ahead, but despite my Meinerz-Man-Crush, I am not disappointed with this selection at all.

4a. Dan Moore Jr.- A surprise pick here to address a position of need, - - Definitely. I thought they would go another direction, but I thought they would tackle a OT one of the two fourth round picks.

4b. Buddy Johnson-For the first defensive selection, I was.... less than impressed.  - - Yep. I was thinking Barnes or Cox here, but both went earlier. 

Like you said, after sleeping on this pick, I feel better about it. Depth and some potential for in the future. Team Captain and high character guy. Definitely a new tone for the Steelers and I like that. I have long thought they have been devoid of "the right" type of locker room leadership. I had him rated lower and thought they may go Quincy here. 

5. Isaiahh Loudermilk- It is entirely possible to hate the trade and like the player.  - - There were a lot of picks between 4B and the 6th rounder, so I don't have a problem with the trading, I am more shocked at who. I thought maybe Twayman if they went DL, but Loudermilk is the love child of Tuitt and Cam if they had a DE offspring. (Scary thought).😲 I think this is a pick we will appreciate more in 2022 and beyond. Despite the short arm length the guy looks like he was born a 5-tech. th?id=OIP.Me1bToF2JPOm2Qfd_S0KbwHaEQ&pid

6. Quincy Roche-Steal of the draft for us.   - - One of my favorite picks of the draft and an absolute steal at the 6th round. 

Tough guy who grew up Ravens fan and I think will develop into a solid pass rush specialist. He has a relentless motor.  I look more at his Temple film for what he can do than Miami last year. Definitely some adjustments and changes due to covid, but this guy can straight play football. 

7a. Tre Norwood-Another guy that sent me to the film room.  - - I was meh.  I thought there were still some draft values out there. I personally preferred the small-ish Ar'Darius Washington from TCU to take over the slot/blitz safety role.

Pressley Harvin III - - Oh, and his college average is higher than Berry's. - - You had me at average better than Berry's. I mocked this guy and saw/predicted the Steelers taking him. He looks like a true Steelers Punter should. The guy is an athlete. He was a shot putter and his flaws are correctable. What he is gifted with is raw size and power. I am reminded of my favorite George Young quote about football players who look the part, but can't play. "Looks like Tarzan and plays like Jane!" Young called former Steelers first round DT, the late Gabe Senior Sack Rivera, the fastest fat kid he ever saw!  Forget the looks, style, physique. He can kick! All jokes aside, he is a football player and someone I hope is around for many years to come. I actually got excited about drafting a punter! 

Shakur Brown, CB, Michigan State- Thought that he may be in play in round four, five when they moved up and six. An absolute steal as a f/a. I see him being this year's James Pierre. I am curious if the team signs a veteran CB. If not, he may even replace Layne who had some legal issues. 

Thanks for those of you still reading!!!  This was fun!!  If you have any questions/thoughts, please share them with me!!!

I learned a lot about the free agents. Excellent job with this post.  I could see seven of the eight picks making the team and the other potentially on the PS/Covid reserves.  

23 hours ago, kurgan said:

1.  Najee Harris-

Agree with everything you stated, and I think just his presence on the field makes the passing game instantly better. Now, if the Steelers can just be a little less predictable with the playcalling, they'll be very competitive.

2. Pat Freiermuth-

Agree again. Without rehasing the draft, I believe the choice here was TE or C, and the Steelers believed TE was a bigger need. I just hope we see more than a blocking TE for a 2nd round pick.

3. Kendrick Green-

I honestly don't know if Green is better for the Steelers than other guys we projected. The Steelers made their choice, and we'll see how it goes.

OK... I wanted to a bit more of a writeup on these guys than just grades.

As others have mentioned, this is a remarkable message board post, and it is just as good or better than many articles out there that people pay money to read. Thank you!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/7/2021 at 3:07 PM, cjfollett said:

Agree with everything you stated, and I think just his presence on the field makes the passing game instantly better. Now, if the Steelers can just be a little less predictable with the playcalling, they'll be very competitive.

Agree again. Without rehashing the draft, I believe the choice here was TE or C, and the Steelers believed TE was a bigger need. I just hope we see more than a blocking TE for a 2nd round pick.

I think that they believed that C was a deeper position than TE.  I think that they believed there were fairly huge drops(talent/production) after each of the top three: Pitts is in one tier. Pat is in another tier. Tremble was in another and was probably unattainable if they went C and tried to wait until round three as the Panthers snatched him a few picks before. Pitts is the elite pass catcher, Pat is the Heath Miller complete TE type and Tremble is a great blocker with unknown receiving potential.  

I honestly don't know if Green is better for the Steelers than other guys we projected. The Steelers made their choice, and we'll see how it goes.

I know who I would have wanted and targeted, but this is actually the type of player that they want and covet at C. He is a strong kid and he is feisty, and seems to have some OL swagger! A few people mentioned him as a center the team would be high on drafting, but Like you, I wanted more of a road-grader/mauler. They got two players that they wanted. Had they went say Creed Humphry or Dickerson in round two, Pat and Tremble would have been long gone. Now you are in a lower tier of TE talent. 

As others have mentioned, this is a remarkable message board post, and it is just as good or better than many articles out there that people pay money to read. Thank you!

Agreed. This website/board has some very talented people who know the team and express their points/feelings well. Despite not having access to the inside information, players, coaches, etc., they do a much better than average job understanding the Steelers and having a hand on the pulse of the team. 

• Like 1