Random Bears/NFL Thoughts - Preseason Edition

dll2000

1 hour ago, HuskieBear said:

the salary cap is truly a myth. gb able to sign someone to a RFA deal, something that is set in $ and time, but managing to spread the cap hit to 5 years - there's no reason why teams should struggle with the cap

I think this season showed it is 95% myth as there are a number of ways to circumvent it.   It seems you can always kick some money into future years and there is always a future to use to do so.    It's not unlimited, but 'cap' can vary wildly.  Team has no cap space what are they going to do?  - oh look they found some.  

Seems only way is to get in bad cap situation is to be stuck with too much dead money on too many guys you no longer want.   

It mainly just comes down to how much do teams want to spend in given year or set of years.   There is an internal budget for each team.    There are no blank checkbooks. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, HuskieBear said:

the salary cap is truly a myth. gb able to sign someone to a RFA deal, something that is set in $ and time, but managing to spread the cap hit to 5 years - there's no reason why teams should struggle with the cap

I was just addressing this same thing as a way to restructure deals to free up cap.  Danny Trevathan's deall has a similar structure where we were able to cut his salary to $3 mil with a $5 mil cap hit and keep a valuable team leader around.  Pace should also consider doing this with Hicks.

5 hours ago, dll2000 said:

I think this season showed it is 95% myth as there are a number of ways to circumvent it.   It seems you can always kick some money into future years and there is always a future to use to do so.    It's not unlimited, but 'cap' can vary wildly.  Team has no cap space what are they going to do?  - oh look they found some.  

Seems only way is to get in bad cap situation is to be stuck with too much dead money on too many guys you no longer want.   

It mainly just comes down to how much do teams want to spend in given year or set of years.   There is an internal budget for each team.    There are no blank checkbooks. 

And on the topic of cap Spotrac reports we now have just under $9 mil and have gone from 31st to 18th in terms of available cap.

6 hours ago, dll2000 said:

I don’t know, but it costs a lot.  

I don't doubt it.  Haven't been to a Bronco game in quite awhile but last time I did as I recall a beer was $6.  Robbery in broad daylight and the vendor wasn't even wearing a mask. 

So I bought a pixar phone, always had an iphone before.

Kinda creeping me out because I leave google assistant on and it is obviously listening to me all time because my ads on facebook or anywhere are really tailored to whatever I talk about aloud.

So as I am typing that I just realized I put out a softball over the plate set up with that one.  Who wants to tell  me what ads I am seeing?

• Like 2

Just read another piece about selling the Bears listing "internal strife" in the McCaskey Family as a reason.

Bezos is listed as a potential buyer mostly because he's been interested in buying a team.  He could probably buy all of them if he wanted to and own the NFL himself.

Neil Bluhm is another whose mentioned.  He's a partner in the JMB Real Estate Corp.

The other is Pat Ryan who along with Andrew McKenna already own a 20% interest and also have first right of refusal on any shares the McCaskey Family sells.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Lol

facepalm-gif-11.gif

15 hours ago, soulman said:

Didn't it turn into a huge drunkfest the last time they did this?  Some better find them an unsinkable boat.

I think that was a private, players-only boat party, wasn't it?

Either way, bad idea for the Vikes...

Edited by Heinz D.