Random Bears/NFL Thoughts - Preseason Edition

On 6/21/2021 at 10:37 AM, HuskieBear said:

nbc sports recently started requiring ad blockers be turned off to get to their site. now whenever i'm there, an ad will appear and take up half the screen and i have to wait for it to disappear. that's on top of all the other ads. 

that site as a whole has gone downhill - they got rid of a lot of their writers/bloggers and now just pull "stories" from the AP. they also recently removed the MLB tab from their top links - putting it under a "more" category. sports that are available via quicklink include olympics, nascar, motors, soccer, golf.

That's weird. Just curious, what browser are you using? It works fine with me and I have several browsers installed I use at any given time for testing purposes and the site shows up with no ads. The only thing missing is the "watch now" on the left side which isn't an ad...it's overlay and a terrible design.

I don't go to that site anymore but man you are right.....that site is a complete mess.

Anyhow, look for the "continue without support" option, click on it, and the popup will go away.  The popup won't even appear with some browsers (i.e firefox, Opera) but will with Chrome and Edge.

It's not that NBC Sports is requiring you turn off ads. It's only asking you to do so. They can't stop it with hurting themselves, and they know that. And they kind of hide the option to opt out and still be able to be view the site as intended without actually telling you and alot of people miss it. I see it all the time.

FaQSYn6.png

My advice that I always tend to give to customers is this; don't EVER use Edge or Internet Explorer(depending on your OS) for anything other than installing another browser. Edge with bing engine is a disaster waiting to happen.

Chrome is overrated. Among other reasons, the amount of running resources going on behind the scenes is way too much for a browser. Stick to open source browsers like Firefox or Brave. Their take security and privacy serious and are easy to use for the average user, and have a wide variety of customized options with a limited learning curve in the settings to fit the average need. I used to recommend Opera but after a long time user I can't do it anymore. Since new ownership took over it's been downhill.  keep trying to give them the benefit of the doubt but it's only making it worse.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

That's weird. Just curious, what browser are you using? It works fine with me and I have several browsers installed I use at any given time for testing purposes and the site shows up with no ads. The only thing missing is the "watch now" on the left side which isn't an ad...it's overlay and a terrible design.

I don't go to that site anymore but man you are right.....that site is a complete mess.

Anyhow, look for the "continue without support" option, click on it, and the popup will go away.  The popup won't even appear with some browsers (i.e firefox, Opera) but will with Chrome and Edge.

It's not that NBC Sports is requiring you turn off ads. It's only asking you to do so. They can't stop it with hurting themselves, and they know that. And they kind of hide the option to opt out and still be able to be view the site as intended without actually telling you and alot of people miss it. I see it all the time.

FaQSYn6.png

My advice that I always tend to give to customers is this; don't EVER use Edge or Internet Explorer(depending on your OS) for anything other than installing another browser. Edge with bing engine is a disaster waiting to happen.

Chrome is overrated. Among other reasons, the amount of running resources going on behind the scenes is way too much for a browser. Stick to open source browsers like Firefox or Brave. Their take security and privacy serious and are easy to use for the average user, and have a wide variety of customized options with a limited learning curve in the settings to fit the average need. I used to recommend Opera but after a long time user I can't do it anymore. Since new ownership took over it's been downhill.  keep trying to give them the benefit of the doubt but it's only making it worse.

i'm not trying to take this topic off the rail. BUT i did see the "continue without turning off" option, but after a couple times, they stopped giving that option - essentially forcing you to turn off

I like watching fan film breakdowns of lesser known players.

It does kind of make me laugh a little big that MT gets criticism for his throw at 3:18.   I am has hard on MT as is warranted and he has some clunkers, but people assume he is just worst QB ever and it really isn't true.

It was a 60 yard throw (ball would have hit 10 yard line or so if it wasn't high pointed) while running to his left and getting hit.   Yeah, a perfect throw is an easy touchdown, but what Mitch did under circumstances is not an easy feat for any human.   That was an extremely athletic play.  

I wonder if Justin Fields being that much more of an athlete and having that much more on arm turns those fields goals or missed long throws into touchdowns.   That is the hope.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, HuskieBear said:

N'Keal Harry requested a trade. Would you trade Miller for Henry? Miller a bit more of a "polished" receiver for NE and Harry another speed target for Nagy 

I am not trading my semi bust for a more expensive bust with years left on his deal.

Miller has not been great or even good, but would have a lot of big plays under his belt and a slightly different perception with better O line and QB play. 

Harry has done squat on a team with no offensive options. 

Edited by dll2000
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, dll2000 said:

I am not trading my semi bust for a more expensive bust with years left on his deal.

Miller has not been great or even good, but would have a lot of big plays under his belt and a slightly different perception with better O line and QB play. 

Harry has done squat on a team with no offensive options. 

Miller is due $1.7M this year and Harry has $2.7M this year and $3.2M next year. so this year is slightly more and 3.2 is hardly and obscene amount of money. and if he starts playing up to his draft status, then all the better. 

WR sometimes take a few years to get used to playing in the league. rookie year comes into the league and last year plays with the corpse of cam newton. a fresh start could be what he needs, and taking a shot on a 6-4, 225lb WR.

STRENGTHS: Looks the part…large, strong hands…tracks well downfield and makes athletic adjustments on the football…maintains his focus through traffic, and defenders on his back don’t faze him…works hard to win body position…owns the elevation skills to climb the ladder…makes one-handed grabs look routine…coordinated feet to release and badger press coverage…physicality to be a tackle-breaker on slants and screens…forces defenders to finish him to the ground…smooth accelerator and picks up speed as he goes…consistent production with back-to-back 1,000-yard receiving seasons…durable and plays through injury.

WEAKNESSES: Not a burst player…overly methodical as a route-runner and savvy corners are able to stay in his hip pocket…lacks dynamic moves in/out of his breaks, struggling to uncover downfield…doesn’t set up defenders in his patterns…would benefit from improved hand use off the snap…only one red-zone touchdown in 2018 (on 10 targets).

SUMMARY: A three-year starter at Arizona State, Harry played “X” receiver position for the Sun Devils, lining up primarily on the left side of the formation and occasionally in the slot. He finished his career No. 3 in school history in receptions and receiving yards, recording a catch in all 37 games he played. Harry competes with a powerful, fearless attitude, but will his physical play style produce in the NFL like it did vs. Pac-12 defenses? While he is a clean route-runner with natural ball skills, he lacks the separation quickness to give his quarterback sizable passing windows. Overall, Harry doesn’t have the sudden athleticism to blow past corners, but he wins downfield with his tracking skills and physicality to win body position, projecting as a solid No. 2 option or “big” slot in the NFL.

Gotta go with DLL on this one and pretty easily too. Harry is a better fit for a Y-TE than he is a WR IMHO.

Besides, Nagy's offense doesn't need another inconsistent possession receiver. What we need are more explosive plays by guys who can take the top off of defenses and Miller is much closer to this description than Harry is and has a significantly higher ceiling as well. When Miller is tapped in...he's tapped in and can do damage. He's proven that. He just needs to mature and get his head out his ***. Now, whether that's ever going to happen or not is certainly up for discussion but I still wouldn't give him up for Henry at all.

https://theathletic.com/793642/2019/02/01/pre-combine-nfl-draft-rankings-who-is-the-top-wide-receiver-depends-on-what-teams-value/?redirected=1

@HuskieBearYou posted one pre-draft analysis and it's safe to say that not all strengths translate well from college to the pros and Harry is another example of it.

For instance...this excerpt below is describing the complete opposite of Harry in 2 years. Which cover about half of his strengths mentioned in the article you quoted.

"coordinated feet to release and badger press coverage…physicality to be a tackle-breaker on slants and screens…forces defenders to finish him to the ground…smooth accelerator and picks up speed as he goes"

Harry is slow, struggles against press coverage (even at his size), has terrible feet, even worse field/game awareness, is slow in and out of his breaks, plays small for his size, goes down easy for a 6'4 230 guy with a big frame, and runs routes like he's carrying 80 pounds of gear on his back.

The play below is a good example of some of the things I'm talking about (top of the screen). At first glance, you might assume this was just a bad pass from Newton until you take a closer look. Pats are down by 6 with 1 minute left. It's a 4th and G and Harry is running an option route against a zero coverage look with a 10 yard cushion on the widest part of the field based on the spot of the ball. Henry makes several mistakes here.

https://giphy.com/gifs/rXx4yQH0C2BIXiqaSC

Animated GIF

1) He runs an inside curl instead of an out route towards the sideline, which is an elementary decision in this instance, and it's exactly what Cam was expecting as well. Why was this a mistake? Again, he had the whole field to work with and the defender was giving him a 5 yard cushion the whole way and was already playing inside leverage and using the sideline as an extra defender to stop him from getting a TD. Harry has to recognize this and play against it....not towards it. This shows his lack of awareness.  If he takes an out-route or even an outside hitch then he has a much better chance to make the defender over pursue his angle or shed the tackle than he does if he catches the ball on an inside curl route. That's a MUCH easier tackle for a defender to make because they're playing downfield at that point as opposed to a sideline-to-sideline tackle.

2) It's hard to tell from the gif and the link I posted (not sure why the quality came out so bad), but on gamepass you can see Harry move his head toward his right while making a terrible attempt at trying to sell the outside. This was completely pointless and totally unnecessary. The defender is playing 5 yards off, so who the hell was he trying to sell this too?! The defender was not trailing him, he's not on his hip, he's not trying to stop a regular first down....so what was the point of this? All it did was throw off Harry's footwork as he stepped into the "sell" which brings me to mistake number 3.

3) It took Harry 8 steps and 5 yards to finish a routine curl route from the time he tried to "sell" the outside to the initial break which is an absurd amount of time and alot of unnecessary steps for a route that is taught in grade school. And furthermore, the curl itself even looked as rounded out as race car track. It's a cut route. He may as well have told the defender what route he was running before the snap.

4) Notice how Cam starts his release just as soon as Harry makes his move toward the outside. Again, it was an option route and the head fake was unnecessary. He shouldn't have faked anything at all. Instead he shouldn't continued to take the out-route. Cam's a vet....he knew this too. That's why he threw it.

^^This is Earl Bennett and Aromashadu(sp?) esque route running and defensive recognition.

• Like 1

I get desire to kick tires on unwanted first rounders because they have first round traits, but for me you do it for discipline or injury issues not guys that couldn't play.  

We signed Byrd off that same team who was the demonstrably better football player in 2020 for 990k.  3.2 is 3 vet minimum players that often start or provide quality depth or one decent proven player.  

People get hung up on draft status.    After they are in league a few years it doesn't matter where they were drafted or if they were drafted its just how you play.

If you want to kick tires wait and sign him for vet minimum in a few years and maybe light will come on.

But if you made a player to player trade with someone you may cut anyway risk is fairly minimal.   I would personally pass, but it isn't a crazy or irrational move. 

I definitely wouldn't give draft picks for him at this point.  

• Like 1

Besides his attitude is all wrong.

He doesn't get football coaches or any kind of employer.

He wants touches he needs to be in Cams and McDaniels ear asking what he is doing wrong and how he can get better.  He needs to ask to stay for extra work etc.

Especially in a hyper competitive elite level of play.   Big fishes who suddenly aren't big fishes anymore sometimes don't get it.   

You aren't being recruited, you aren't the star anymore and nobody cares.  When he understands that and acts accordingly he may turn things around.  Asking for a trade is a giant red flag he still doesn't get his new reality. 

9 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

Harry is a better fit for a Y-TE than he is a WR IMHO.

So have him put on 10 lbs and make him a Y - Graham is a FA after this season. Have Harry on the team to be the 3rd TE and learn from Graham how to be that Y - it certainly seems to help Kmet.

TE: Kmet - Graham - Harry - Holtz

WR: Robinson - Mooney - Byrd - Goodwin - Wims - Ridley

I'm not saying i WANT to make this trade, or that it SHOULD be made - its the offseason and it drives discussion. 

We know the team is disappointed in Miller, especially after his ejection in the playoffs. unless he stays on the team and absolutely blows up (in a good way) i don't expect him back next year. why not instead bet on a player that has traits that got him drafted in the first round? maybe that change of scenery is what he needs? 

2 hours ago, HuskieBear said:

So have him put on 10 lbs and make him a Y - Graham is a FA after this season. Have Harry on the team to be the 3rd TE and learn from Graham how to be that Y - it certainly seems to help Kmet.

TE: Kmet - Graham - Harry - Holtz

WR: Robinson - Mooney - Byrd - Goodwin - Wims - Ridley

When have you ever heard of anything remotely like this happening haha

Its just alot going on here

12 hours ago, HuskieBear said:

So have him put on 10 lbs and make him a Y - Graham is a FA after this season.

I'd be okay with signing him to a 1 or 2 year deal to play TE while still keeping Miller. We're pretty thin at the TE position anyhow and I'm never against developing more players at any position. As you said, he could learn alot from Graham while he's still here in 2021 and then possibly learn and develop behind Kmet.

12 hours ago, HuskieBear said:

We know the team is disappointed in Miller, especially after his ejection in the playoffs. unless he stays on the team and absolutely blows up (in a good way) i don't expect him back next year. why not instead bet on a player that has traits that got him drafted in the first round? maybe that change of scenery is what he needs? 

I get what your saying here and I agree. Miller is gone next year unless he blows up.  But if we're looking for a replacement for Miller then there are much better options out there. Harry's intangibles are lack luster that go beyond just coachable traits and tweaks, and a change of scenery is not going to change that. That's all I'm saying.

10 hours ago, MonserinNC said:

When have you ever heard of anything remotely like this happening haha

Its just alot going on here

I get your point and it's not exactly the same but the Eagles are trying the same with Hakeem Butler this year.