Jersey assignments

brooks1957

Before the Browns officially announce all the jersey numbers for all the players in camp, let me bring up a wish that I have.

I know the league office has let it be known that they would prefer that you install a former great player from your team into your Ring of Honor, or Ring of Legends and the like as opposed to retiring their number.

I know the Browns do have the latter - but............

I cannot think of two more deserving candidates to have their jerseys retired than 73 and 82. Joe is the mother of all no brainers - and Ozzie was one who revolutionized the TE position.

Thoughts?

Just now, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Mistakes happen, but some can be fixed.

He’s a HOF player and was given his original job in the FO with the Browns. He had nothing to do with the team moving. The original members were all HOF inductees

Had he who shall not be named wasn’t such an ******* we would be making statues of Ozzie in front of the stadium for what he did. 

17 minutes ago, JDD said:

He’s a HOF player and was given his original job in the FO with the Browns. He had nothing to do with the team moving. The original members were all HOF inductees

Had he who shall not be named wasn’t such an ******* we would be making statues of Ozzie in front of the stadium for what he did. 

For sure, he cost Ozzie a statue and a retired jersey number.

But, Ozzie chose to be a part of that organization and did more for them than for us.  Let them honor him.  

How tf are we gonna retire a number for a dude who was the architect of a division rival’s roster for 2 decades and won a pair of rings with them?

Retiring numbers is dumb anyway.  There’s like 3 geezers on this board who actually even remember guys like Jim Brown’s playing days.  I have no firsthand knowledge or most of this team’s historical greats, and I’m pushing 40.

There are only so many numbers, eventually you’re going to run out if you retire the number of anyone who was really good.

3 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

For sure, he cost Ozzie a statue and a retired jersey number.

But, Ozzie chose to be a part of that organization and did more for them than for us.  Let them honor him.  

How tf are we gonna retire a number for a dude who was the architect of a division rival’s roster for 2 decades and won a pair of rings with them?

Because he was a HOF player here.  He wasn’t some bum. I disagree, he went to the dark side but it’s not like we had a team for him to come too.  And he sure as hell wasn’t leaving in 1999. Wish he would have but hey, can’t blame him. 

Just now, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Retiring numbers is dumb anyway.  There’s like 3 geezers on this board who actually even remember guys like Jim Brown’s playing days.  I have no firsthand knowledge or most of this team’s historical greats, and I’m pushing 40.

There are only so many numbers, eventually you’re going to run out if you retire the number of anyone who was really good.

I hate to admit this.  I like what UM did with the retired numbers and made the patch.  So glad they quit doing that so I could sleep at night 

• Like 1