Flux Draft Game (2021)

Adrenaline_Flux

Each year I do this. Form a team of 25 with 1 player that was selected in round 1, 3 players that were selected in round 2, 5 players that were selected in round 3, 7 players that were selected in round 4, 5 players that were selected in round 5, 3 players that were selected in round 6, and 1 player from round 7. You may replace your 7th round choice with someone that went undrafted if you wish. You can do special teams, but it is not required. 

Last year's game for reference

QB: Trevor Lawrence (Round 1)
RB: Michael Carter (Round 4)
RB/WR: Kenneth Gainwell (Round 5)
WR: Amon-Ra St. Brown (Round 4)
WR: Tylan Wallace (Round 4)
Slot WR/RET: Ihmir Smith-Marsette (Round 5)
TE: Tommy Tremble (Round 3)
LT: Stone Forsythe (Round 6)
LG: Jalen Mayfield (Round 3)
Center: Drew Dalman (Round 4)
RG: Wyatt Davis (Round 3)
RT: Spencer Brown (Round 3)

IDL: Jay Tufele (Round 4)
IDL: Daviyon Nixon (Round 5)
NT: Tommy Togiai (Round 4)
EDGE: Jordan Smith (Round 4)
ILB: Nick Niemann (Round 6)
LB: Dylan Moses (UDFA) 
EDGE: Tarron Jackson (Round 6)
Overhang LB: Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah (Round 2)
CB: Paulson Adebo (Round 3)
FS: Trevon Moehrig (Round 2)
SS: Richie Grant (Round 2)
Slot CB: Shaun Wade (Round 5)
CB: Keith Taylor (Round 5)

Decided to try to have a versatile defense that can have multiple fronts. Thinking if it's a 4-3 you could have something like Jordan Smith & Tarron Jackson at EDGE, with Daviyon Nixon or Jay Tufele at 3T and then Tommy Tohiai at 0T/1T. Could even do something with Daviyon Nixon at 3T and Jay Tufele at 4i. Then at LB, you could have Niemann inside still, Moses as an attacking SAM type LB, and JOK in an overhang role replacing the traditional WILL. in a 3-4, you could have Tufele at 5T, 4i, or 3T with either Nixon at another one of those spots and then Smith & Jackson on the EDGE. Could even have Jackson in place of Nixon as a big EDGE and have JOK at the other OLB position still playing that overhang LB role since there's still a threat of pass rush from the overhang defender. Just some of the examples. A lot you could do with this combination of players. I'm kind of rambling at this point.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Adrenaline_Flux said:

Each year I do this. Form a team of 25 with 1 player that was selected in round 1, 3 players that were selected in round 2, 5 players that were selected in round 3, 7 players that were selected in round 4, 5 players that were selected in round 5, 3 players that were selected in round 6, and 1 player from round 7. You may replace your 7th round choice with someone that went undrafted if you wish. You can do special teams, but it is not required. 

Offense

QB: Kellen Mond (3)

RB: Rhamondre Stevenson (4)

RB: Kenneth Gainwell (5)

WR: Terrace Marshal (2), Tylan Wallace (4), Demetric Felton (6)

TE: John Bates (4), Brevin Jordan (5)

LT: Samuel Cosmi (2)

LG: James Hudson (4)

C: Quinn Meinerz (3)

RG: Deonte Brown (6)

RT: Stone Forsythe (6)

Defense

DE: Azeez Ojulari (2), Joseph Ossai (3)

DT: Jay Tufele (4), Daviyon Nixon (5), Marvin Wilson (UDFA)

LB: Chazz Surrat (3), Jabril Cox (4), Cameron Mcgrone (5)

CB: Caleb Farley (1), Ifeatu Melifonwu (3), Shaun Wade (5)

S: Andre Cisco (3), Tyree Gillespie (4)

• Like 2

QB: Trevor Lawrence(1)

RB/WR: Kenneth Gainwell(5) Demetric Felton(6)

TE: Tommy Tremble(3)

WR: Dyami Brown(3)

WR: Tylan Wallace(4)

Slot WR: Amari Rogers(3)

LT: Spencer Brown(3)

LG: Quinn Meinerz(3) 

😄 Creed Humphrey(2)

RG:  Royce Newman(4)

RT: Josh Ball(4)

3-4 Defense

5tech: Christian Barmore(2)

NT: Tyler Shelvin(4)

3tech: Jay Tuefele(4)

OLB: Azeez Ojulari(2)

ILB: Jabril Cox(4)

ILB: Cameron McGrone(5) 

OLB: Chris Rumph(4) Quincy Roche(6)

CB: Robert Rochell(4)

FS: James Wiggins(7)

SS: Jamar Johnson(5)

CB: Tay Gowan(6)

NB: Shaun Wade(5)

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Wooo.  The Flux Draft Game.

I'll go with:

Offense:

QB: Trevor Lawrence (1).
RB: Rhamondre Stevenson (4).
RB: Michael Carter (4).
TE: John Bates (4).
WR: Simi Fehoko (5).
WR: Elijah Moore (2).
WR: Amari Rodgers (3).
WR: Cade Johnson (7-UDFA).
LT: Liam Eichenberg (2).
LG: Brenden Jaimes (5).
C Drew Dalman (4).
RG: Royce Newman (4).
RT: Teven Jenkins (2).

Sometimes it's fun to play this game building around a non-1st round QB.  But this year, it feels like borderline negligence to not just take the "obvious" and build the team around a quarterback of Lawrence's caliber.  I'm not enamored with the receiving group.  That felt like a weak point in this draft to me, trying to find value on receivers and a tight end i liked.  I like Moore, but i don't love him as the "go-to guy" of the WR corps.  Oh well.  Would've had to massively downgrade at QB to address the WR with a 1st rounder, so...not worth it.  Kinda wanted to go with Noah Gray as a a TE/FB combo for versatility, but the 4th/5th round slots worked out better this way instead.  I like the 1-2 RB punch i ended up with, so that, along with the OLine can make the running game a focal point of the offense i guess.

Defense:
DE: Rashad Weaver (4).
DT: Daviyon Nixon (5).
NT: Quinton Bohanna (6).
LEO: Quincy Roche (6).
OLB/DE: Chris Rumph II (4).
MLB: Nick Niemann (6).
LB: Chazz Surratt (3).
CB: Aaron Robinson (3).
CB: Ifeatu Melifonwu (3).
CB: Brandon Stephens (3).
FS: Jamar Johnson (5).
SS: Shawn Davis (5).

Feel like i have the pieces there to build more or less a base 4-3 hybrid defense, with some 3-4 looks sprinkled in.  Rumph feels like he has enough flexibility to play a sort of Seattle era Bruce Irvin/not sucky era Vic Beasley role as an early down LBer, and sub package bookend pass rusher.  Weaver reducing down inside for certain looks might be overly ambitious, but whatever, that's coach's problem.  Tempted to burn my 7th on an extra body to make the hybrid thing work more smoothly, but basically came down to Patrick Johnson as a spare OLB type, or Wyatt Hubert as a spare DE...neither of which really does much for that.  So just went with trying to bolster the kinda lackluster WR group instead.  Weirdly, a year where i didn't find myself struggling too hard to find DBs i was happy enough with at later points of the draft.  That seemed to be a strength of the depth of this draft.

Really regret not managing to work Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah in there.  He was such crazy "value" in the 2nd round.  But couldn't make it work.  The bookend Offensive Tackles were too tempting to pass up, and that last second rounder desperately needed to go to the last real "high end" receiver available.

• Like 1

On 5/8/2021 at 10:18 PM, Rich7sena said:

CB: Caleb Farley (1)

Hmmm...Gotta say...spending the single solitary precious first round selection on a DB is...a choice.  👀  What's the thinking there?  Exceptionally high on Farley?  Super high on Kellen Mond at QB?  Super low on the quality of the rest of the first round?  Just playing on "hard mode"?  😎

9 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

Hmmm...Gotta say...spending the single solitary precious first round selection on a DB is...a choice.  👀  What's the thinking there?  Exceptionally high on Farley?  Super high on Kellen Mond at QB?  Super low on the quality of the rest of the first round?  Just playing on "hard mode"?  😎

My corners aren't name guys but u look at Rochell and gowan and both have starter tools.   

My offense I feel is perfect for a spread system if I want.  None of my wrs are number 1s but u got 3 very solid at least number 3 guys and 2 pass catching backs and an athletic projection who at worse gives u a guy who can block.  Only regret is no short yardage back but oh well I guess we kick it old school sneaks with Lawrence or go to a real 5 wide and do a quick pass to Gainwell or Felton

• Like 1

On 5/31/2021 at 9:15 PM, LinderFournette said:

My corners aren't name guys but u look at Rochell and gowan and both have starter tools.   

My offense I feel is perfect for a spread system if I want.  None of my wrs are number 1s but u got 3 very solid at least number 3 guys and 2 pass catching backs and an athletic projection who at worse gives u a guy who can block.  Only regret is no short yardage back but oh well I guess we kick it old school sneaks with Lawrence or go to a real 5 wide and do a quick pass to Gainwell or Felton

Yeah.  That seemed to be a thing with this draft and DBs.  Obviously they're not all going to make it, but it seemed awfully deep in guys with some projectable "starter tools" or some production and ability that you can at least hang a hat on.  Had some real bigtime "name guys" toward the top end that steal a bit of the headlines, but a lot of decent "depth" of viable talents too.  Which works great for a game like this.  Some years, it's absolutely dire, trying to cobble together a secondary from the mid-late rounds.

Does seem like a class that kinda lends itself to a spread system, or at least a lot of different sort of rotation and "packages" when it comes to receivers.  So many kinda "niche" guys, "speed guys", and smaller guys with gadget potential and stuff.  Lots of depth to that "supporting WR potential" crop.  But not the most balanced and diverse seeming class.

• 2 weeks later...

Late but here goes...

Overall I love the DL group and clearly focused on creating an offense that should not have much trouble running the ball, while complimenting with pieces that should allow them to adapt and stay creative. 

————

OFFENSE: You’ll notice both on O and D we’re a team that believes in beating you up front. Went Wilson over TL just to be different. But regardless of who it is our plan is to run through you and set up play-action. The right side of the line is all beef. The LT-LG starters would work itself out in camp. Got the best blocking TE in the draft in Tremble. Also an athletic specimen who has untapped potential as a pass-catcher. Brevin is no slouch either. 

Our WRs are also reasonably strong run blockers and Javonte is powerful and athletic. But we added speed also. Schwartz is a track star you’d have to honour deep. And Seth and Tylan Wallace are both strong on deep passes. We’ll set you up with a powerful run game, and then hurt you with bootlegs, athletic TEs and a strong and fast WR corps when you get caught looking on Play-action

QB: Zach Wilson (1)

RB: Javonte Williams (2)

WR: Seth Williams (6)

TE: Tommy Tremble (3)

LT: D’Ante Smith (4) (J.Hudson)

LG: James Hudson (4) (D.Smith)

OC: Landon Dickerson (2)

RG: Ben Cleveland (3)

RT: Jalen Mayfield (3)

TE: Brevin Jordan (5)

WR: Anthony Schwartz (3)

WR: Tylan Wallace (4)

————————————

DEFENSE: We are built up front. Very much in the Legion-of-Boom style attacking 4-3 mold. Our LBs are the weakest link, but our plan is to overwhelm you so significantly up front we can mask our average LB group. Both guys are athletic though. You’ll notice I invested six picks on the DL, including some interchangeable pieces like Sample and Basham Jr. We’ll move guys up and down the line to create matchups and stay fresher than our opponents. Our CBs are all very feisty, press-man guys. Our goal is to upset the timing of your routes while our fierce D-line throws your QB off his game. Our Safeties, while unheralded, are both smart, experienced, and disciplined with a proven track record. They’ll clean up the mistakes opposing rattled QBs make. 

DE: Ronnie Perkins (3)

NG: Tommy Togiai (4)

3T: Daviyon Nixon (5)

DE: Carlos Basham Jr. (2)

DT/DE: Cam Sample (4)

PRS: Elerson Smith (4)

LB: JaCoby Stevens (6)

LB: Cameron McGrone (5)

NB: Kary Vincent (7)

CB: Tre Brown (4)

SS: Damar Hamlin (6)

FS: Richard Lecounte III (5)